Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The week that was - 29th March 1987 - Full Members Cup final

Comments

• Options
    I was there yes a amazing cup run in a cup so shit it doesn't exist anymore . Time to win the kent cup and put our cup shame to bed. Even Orient managed a semi final in the seventies
  • Options
    after Norwich in the semi this was always going to end in the anti-climax it was. dreadful game in a rotting stadium.
  • Options
    I don't remember how I got there who I went with or how I got back. I don't remember jack about the game. What I do recall is that our end was sectioned off into pens and some of them were reasonably full while others were almost empty. I'm pretty sure it was terracing. It looked so odd with empty spaces dotted around. The Blackburn end was quite full.
  • Options
    I was so pleased whne Blackburn scored, knowing I did not have to sit through another 1/2 hour of absolute rubbish
  • Options
    I was there yes a amazing cup run in a cup so shit it doesn't exist anymore . Time to win the kent cup and put our cup shame to bed. Even Orient managed a semi final in the seventies
    You could only have been about 12 years old!
  • Options
    Shows how technology has changed things. Might have have had the score on ceefax. Do remember phoning up the clubcall number. Only really found out the detail the next day in 'the sun'.
  • Options
    Not our finest hour was it?
  • Options
    Went straight there from working 4 hours overtime in Kent, drove there on my own, parked quite near the ground, no traffic jams, easy to park, thought this is my lucky day, then watched the match. Like most Charlton supporters, lucky? enough to be behind the goal where they scored, spent most of the second half trying to guess what was happening up the other end of the pitch. Milne, the less said the better. Never been behind the goal since, bought season ticket in West stand, so could watch from half-way line. Sorry, my comment is as boring as the match
  • Options
    My first visit to Wembley. My Dads mate was one of the centre backs for Blackburn that day.

Awful game of football.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It was terrible - my dad had painted "back to the valley" on a load of bedsheets if I remember correctly
  • Options
    Just as I thought time had healed and I stumble on this bloody thread!

Charlton have kicked me in the nads on many occaisons but this one must be up there...
  • Options
    If told the tale of this game before. I ran the coach from the Guy Earl Of Warwick in Welling. Bill the guvnor opened up early for us, and we had a few before we went. Coach driver, took us round North circular, which was completely wrong thing to do, all pubs on the road full of them. We pulled up by a large boozer, and bottles and glasses started coming, then the bricks and concrete. When they finished think we had one window on right hand side and enough building material for a bungalow. However, we unloaded that throwing it all back. By now all traffic had stopped to get away from our coach, so we sat alone in the traffic with empty 100yards behind us, the they all came into the road. Our front door opens and Porky stood up said fuck it come on, I was about 6th one off when we get to back of coach , I think I'm 6th of 52, but I'm bloody 6th of 6! Mind you they started to run thinking we was all coming, and then relised there was only 6 of us and turned back. We held our own and now the sirens were going an old bill everywhere. We got back on
    board and carried on to Wembley, we had half the coach bleeding from cut heads and hands. The faces of other fans watching us pull in was brilliant. Anyway, coach driver left the minute we got off, and we went home by train. Coppers came to see me couple days later, wanted me to go court, they,d arrest a number of Blackburn fans. Told them I never saw anything.

The game, shit remember nothing about except we lost.
  • Options
    Anti-climax is the right word. And a sense of alienation. I sat somewhere high up on my own with my mate Rob from Portsmouth days, looking at the pitiful attendance, and wondering whether this was even my club any more.
  • Options
    still remember it well, was the mascot and remember being in the changing room before the game, taking shots against Bolder on the pitch in the warm up and meeting Billy Wright

got plenty of pics and the video somewhere at home in the loft
  • Options
    36 years ago today. First time we played at Wembley in 40 years.
    Followed my uncles footsteps that afternoon along with friends . Three of the guys still go to The Valley.

Just thought this needed a bump.
  • Options
    Followed my uncles footsteps that afternoon along with friends . Three of the guys still go to The Valley.

It wasn’t a day to remember, was it:(
  • Options
    Can’t remember anything about the game other than their goal. 

Had a good day out and bumped into Richard Briers at Baker St on the way there.
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    Strange day.Played for my Sunday League team at Danson Park that Sunday morning and made the decision to go after the game. Didn't have a ticket but paid on the turnstyle to get in. I had stopped going regularly after CAFC left the Valley, but felt I had to see the club play at Wembley. Having fewer fans than Blackburn was embarrassing. Selhurst was killing the club. It's incredible what Lenny Lawrence achieved in those circumstances in getting us into Div 1.

• Options
    36 years ago. F*ck me, I remember it like it was 36 years ago.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Remember their goal and talking to some Blackburn fans on the tube afterwards who weren’t that bothered about winning. This and the two playoffs make the three times I’ve seen us at Wembley. Is there anyone who saw all four? 
  • Options
    Dragged some friends from university along. Stood on a pretty empty terrace behind the goal from memory. Generally all a bit crap - didn’t feel like a big day out. 
  • Options
    Remember being in The Globe at Baker Street, with pub full of Charlton fans singing "Fight for Your Right to Party" by The Beastie Boys. 
  • Options
    Remember their goal and talking to some Blackburn fans on the tube afterwards who weren’t that bothered about winning. This and the two playoffs make the three times I’ve seen us at Wembley. Is there anyone who saw all four
    Seven?
  • Options
    Dragged some friends from university along. Stood on a pretty empty terrace behind the goal from memory. Generally all a bit crap - didn’t feel like a big day out. 
    This

Went with a couple of Charlton mates and a Millwall mate and the biggest memory is standing on an empty terrace with loads of room to move around 
  • Options

It wasn’t a day to remember, was it:(
    Well I will always remember that day.
    Enjoy you bet , we didn’t know when we would return?
    40 years before I had five uncles that went to FA Cup final. I could at least say to them I had seen Charlton at Wembley 
  • Options
    Went with a couple of Charlton mates and a Millwall mate and the biggest memory is standing on an empty terrace with loads of room to move around 
    Not exactly an unfamiliar experience to many charlton fans, to be fair. 
  • Options
    Been up here since 93, barely a month goes by , but someone mentions this bloody game!!
  • Options
    Hate Colin Hendry
  • Options
    Went to the game, still have the hat I bought! Offers over £500? 😀. Shit game but good day out.