Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Comments

• Yeah they need a 40k stadium.
  • I quite often forget QPR exisit when I'm naming London clubs.
  • 15k in a stadium that big would be funny to see.
  • 40k hahahaha. Ha.
  • Let's hope they keep the shit views and non-existent legroom.

You can't just give up 30 years of history like that.
  • 15k in a stadium that big would be funny to see.

Looks like QPR will beat us to it, and it's never as funny the second time around.
  • With the right pricing and Prem football they'll be close to filing that , as long as you can see the pitch and the seats aren't cramped
    People will have said the same about Soton when they left the tinpot Dell but their support is decent enough
  • With the right pricing and Prem football they'll be close to filing that , as long as you can see the pitch and the seats aren't cramped
    People will have said the same about Soton when they left the tinpot Dell but their support is decent enough

I think it would also depend on the away allocation, they could easily fill it against the big London clubs and the Man Utd's of this world, just let them have 10-15,000 tickets.

Spot on, I cannot see why people above are taking the piss. If they go back to the Prem and the pricing is right they could average 30k for each game easily.
  • Nothing wrong with a little ambition. Good luck to them.
  • Sponsored links:

• Didn't fancy the Greenwich Peninsular then.
  • I think this is quite a big deal - I noted in other posts that amongst London clubs, Charlton might be compared in size/potential terms in to QPR, Fulham and Palace (but that each of those was 'trapped' in lousy stadiums with little scope for a new one nearby).

• Agreed, I keep forgetting how great we are

With the right pricing and Prem football they'll be close to filing that , as long as you can see the pitch and the seats aren't cramped

Spot on, I cannot see why people above are taking the piss. If they go back to the Prem and the pricing is right they could average 30k for each game easily.
  • any club with long term ambitions to stay in and compete any where near successfully in the premier league needs a modern stadium with at least 30-40,000 seats and as many mod cons as possible. The owners have the money and the ambition, so why not ?. The probable development of Loftus Road, which must be regarded as a prime central London 'real estate' site, will bring in shedloads of cash towards the new stadium, everyone's happy.
  • hardly call white city central! I wonder what brentford fans think about this... thinking the buzz around a new stadium would bring more supporters, now they've been upstaged by QPR
  • any club with long term ambitions to stay in and compete any where near successfully in the premier league needs a modern stadium with at least 30-40,000 seats and as many mod cons as possible. The owners have the money and the ambition, so why not ?. The probable development of Loftus Road, which must be regarded as a prime central London 'real estate' site, will bring in shedloads of cash towards the new stadium, everyone's happy.

Not sure it can be described as prime being directly over the road from the grim White City estate. However I'm sure a developer will build expensive flats behind suitably high gates.
  • Logical move for them,I agree that in the Premier League they will fill 40,000 for at least half of the fixtures.I do find it sad that most of the London grounds I grew up with are disappearing one by one.I had mixed feelings about Loftus Road atmospherically it was one of my favourites,but as others have suggested the view was one of the worst in about a third of the ground.

Now Highbury,the old Toolbox and Underhill have already gone Griffin Park,Upton Park and Loftus Road are definitely on the demolition list.Our own beloved Valley is under threat with these Peninsular proposals ,Stamford Bridge will probably be gone within the next ten years as Chelsea want to expand ,Palace are still evaluating leaving Sell Out Park for the National sports stadium site ,Orient want to leave Brisbane Road but are upset that happy Hammers have beaten them to the Olympic Stadium .

At least White Hart Lane is being rebuilt broadly on the same site so only Craven Cottage seems safe at the moment but there has often been discussions about Fulham moving with one of the rumours being a ground share with QPR.
  • I find Tottenham's plans to be very odd - they want to build a 60,000 stadium on the same site yet the transport infrastructure is dire and the whole area is so run-down. I don't think they've got a chance of attracting the type of customers (corporate or individual) that they need to fill the premium seats and boxes to pay for the ground Arsenal-style.

• Presumably the new ground will be dominated by one huge stand.....for the visiting fans. White elephant in White City?
  • Never understood this idea that Loftus Road is 'intimidating' just because the stands are close to the pitch.

They score a goal, play some silly goal music and then go back to sitting there in a trance.
  • Sponsored links:

• I find Tottenham's plans to be very odd - they want to build a 60,000 stadium on the same site yet the transport infrastructure is dire and the whole area is so run-down. I don't think they've got a chance of attracting the type of customers (corporate or individual) that they need to fill the premium seats and boxes to pay for the ground Arsenal-style.

I doubt anyone would want an "Arsenal-style" ground, though not sure exactly what Spurs' plans are. As for 60,000 seats, they'll easily sell that out every week. Got a season ticket waiting list of over 20,000 I believe.
  • The ground is part of a massive redevelopment of the area with crossrail and HS2 for you train fans! The club will massively change if it all goes ahead.
  • edited December 2013

I find Tottenham's plans to be very odd - they want to build a 60,000 stadium on the same site yet the transport infrastructure is dire and the whole area is so run-down. I don't think they've got a chance of attracting the type of customers (corporate or individual) that they need to fill the premium seats and boxes to pay for the ground Arsenal-style.

I doubt anyone would want an "Arsenal-style" ground, though not sure exactly what Spurs' plans are. As for 60,000 seats, they'll easily sell that out every week. Got a season ticket waiting list of over 20,000 I believe.
    How many of those on the season ticket waiting list would actually exercise their option to buy a season ticket if offered? About 25% I would reckon - after all it basically costs nothing to be on it. It's a meaningless statistic.

Either way, they need to sell say 100 corporate boxes and say 5,000 premium seats (akin to Club Arsenal) to be viable - don't think they will do it in such an awful location.
  • Fantastic news, more building work in London. Keep it coming
  • A new ground won't necessarily mean more fans for QPR, they are in a very congested market in that part of London - as most London clubs are.

They might get more day-trippers in the Premiership - although Fulham is in a much better location for this crowd - but the football market in London is saturated.

• How many of those on the season ticket waiting list would actually exercise their option to buy a season ticket if offered? About 25% I would reckon - after all it basically costs nothing to be on it. It's a meaningless statistic.

Either way, they need to sell say 100 corporate boxes and say 5,000 premium seats (akin to Club Arsenal) to be viable - don't think they will do it in such an awful location.

I'm pretty sure Spurs fans pay to be on the season ticket waiting list
    they'd easily sell it all out they're a big big club , it may be a shit hole but corporate punters will fill it up i'm sure of that , you can't get a corporate box now and they have plenty of them

• It costs £57 but it includes other benefits such as individual ticket priority.

Anyhow it's one thing to commit to paying £57 and quite another to effectively commit to pay £800+ every season. It's just an option, not an obligation.
  • edited December 2013

I find Tottenham's plans to be very odd - they want to build a 60,000 stadium on the same site yet the transport infrastructure is dire and the whole area is so run-down. I don't think they've got a chance of attracting the type of customers (corporate or individual) that they need to fill the premium seats and boxes to pay for the ground Arsenal-style.

How many of those on the season ticket waiting list would actually exercise their option to buy a season ticket if offered? About 25% I would reckon - after all it basically costs nothing to be on it. It's a meaningless statistic.

Absolute nonsense, and you've plucked 25% from nowhere as well - how's that for a meaningless statistic? They'd probably have a lot more on the waiting list too, if there was any point in being number 20,0001, 20,002, etc. They'll easily sell out the stadium, watch.
  • Ok fair enough but it's certainly not 100% or anything close. Moreover it includes people who will not accept any season ticket, but only specific price points/location or a pair (or more) together.

My main point however is that new stadiums only become self financing over time if clubs sell out their premium packages. Given the competition from Arsenal and Chelsea in far superior and more accessible locations (and in due course QPR and West Ham), I think their choice of location is absurd, even if they are getting council incentives to stay there.

They should build a US-style out-of-town stadium (with massive car parks) somewhere near the A10 or M11 instead of trying to wedge a stadium into one of the most run down and inaccessible parts of the city.