Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Bank transfer

All,
Soz, quick question,
Missus has paid for a pressie by bank transfer, nothing received in three weeks and no communication from seller for a week. I've never done one before,
Can this be reversed at the bank??
Cheers

Comments

• Options

All,
    Soz, quick question,
    Missus has paid for a pressie by bank transfer, nothing received in three weeks and no communication from seller for a week. I've never done one before,
    Can this be reversed at the bank??
    Cheers

If this was a CHAPS or Faster Payment Service transfer I believe that the payment is unconditional and cannot be recalled. So, it's likely your only recourse is the seller who has taken the money but not supplied the goods. BUT please check that with your bank. If it was a payment using a debit or credit card the protection levels are way better.
    But basicaly your bank has just done what you asked.
  • Options
    I'd check to make sure your wife has paid it to the correct sort code/account number. A digit out and it could have gone anywhere.
  • Options
    You should never use bank transfers with companies/people you don't know. If they have done a runner (which may not be the case of course), then you have very little chance of getting your money back. The bank cannot help much, as they have done what you asked.
  • Options
    Was it made out to Mr. S. Jones?????
  • Options
    cheers all,
    It was a paypal verified site BUT she didn't want it to show on my account as it was a gift.
    Was a sponsored and quite well publicised small business.
    I reckon they've just bitten of more than they can chew and cant fulfil orders.
    They are VAT registered business and know their address if needed,
  • Options
    There is not much the bank can do - as others have said they have simply followed your instructions.

If the business is still trading, it may be of interest to your local trading standards team at the Council. They can't do much directly to get your money back, but they may be able to contact the business which might put some pressure on them to resolve it.

If it's a limited company which is taking orders which it knows, or could reasonably be expected to know, that it can't fulfil, then the directors are actually committing a criminal offence of fraudulent trading. But again, even if convicted, you wouldn't automatically get your money back.

Ultimately your only recourse would be to put a claim in with the small claims court. You can do this online now for a reasonably small fee (£25 upwards depending on the values involved) - but a word of warning, if the business is struggling and doesn't have any money then you might not get back all/any of the money you've paid.