Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Grass isn't always greener

Have seen this story in the Mail today about our potential new owners

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&ved=0CDcQqQIwAQ&url=http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2515257/Charlton-set-bought-American-sports-owner-Josh-Harris--CHARLES-SALE.html&ei=nzGYUreDEsGBhAfX6IG4Dw&usg=AFQjCNGy-0Uc0jf8fV072-gj3nU2nRMkag&bvm=bv.57155469,d.bGQ

and this got me thinking. How does he run the 76'ers and devils. Neither of whom are renowned for their success. After a quick google search, came across this article about how he runs his franchises and how he views money.

http://www.crossingbroad.com/2013/09/john-gonzalez-helps-explain-why-joshua-harris-is-just-so-damn-rich.html

A very interesting article and if its too be believed, I wouldn't go expecting too many signings in the near future. Certainly doesn't seem like the kind of owner that is going to throw money after money.

Comments

• I see what you mean. I do, however, understand how the 76'ers hasn't been able to do much yet. They've kind of started from scratch, which sometimes happen in basketball when a core of players split up, or when you believe its time to build a new team with young players. He did have a quite good first season there if I remember correct, but to criticize him for not assembling a team yet is a little immature in my opinion. They've clearly chosen to go young and build a team, which is logical, and you simply cannot lure the best players in free agency to join a team with many unknowns. They hired a very respected coach, and they've drafted quite well. At some point they will get attractive to Free agents, trade scenarios and so on, and it seems to me they got a plan. Another thing is, NBA teams are handled very differently than football teams. I don't know as much about the Devils or the NHL. Just wanted to share my thoughts on it, since I follow the NBA.
  • Don't forget that the concept of promotion/relegation is not something that US sports franchises have to worry about.
    While it goes without saying that there's always a (tax deductible) risk, the quickest way to increase the value of an English football club is to get it promoted to the Premier League. Followed by the quest for the holy grail of European football of course. ;-)
  • cafcfan said:

Don't forget that the concept of promotion/relegation is not something that US sports franchises have to worry about.
    While it goes without saying that there's always a (tax deductible) risk, the quickest way to increase the value of an English football club is to get it promoted to the Premier League. Followed by the quest for the holy grail of European football of course. ;-)

Exactly, they are very much allowed to be VERY bad for a few years, draft cleverly and assemble a team from scratch. It's sometimes the best way of getting good. One example is the Oklahoma City Thunder
  • Money is so much larger in us sport so wouldn't be too worried. I like the fact he seems to get level of attendance up. Which I assume means not over pricing tickets.
  • Let me have 1 minute to think about that
  • Reading the article I'm not sure what the writers point is. What is he saying the Harris has done wrong?

Maybe it's because the article is badly written and jumps all over the place including some bizarre reference to high school gym teachers but what is he actually saying?
  • Reading that , it seams that he has made a 46% profit without actually doing much.
    The thing is that we know for well that he wont make a penny out of Charlton unless we get to the Premier League ( and then it's still not guaranteed ) and that will take investment in the team .

Compared to what he paid for his other franchises , 46m ( if that is correct) is peanuts , so a few million investment in new players is more likely than unlikely to happen .
  • £29m including debts at Charlton.
  • to be honest compared to our current situation this grass looks very green.
  • at least the grass on the pitch may be a little greener with a cheeky 2.5bil to play with. Paddy is licking his lips!!
  • Sponsored links:

• That's in dollars.£2billion for all his teams.
  • You don't make money out of English football unless you can find a bigger mug to pay more than you did when you sell on. Star players and their agents will see to that, but don't tell Mr Harris....
  • If this is the guy looking to take us over (still a big IF I believe with all the rumours out there) then it is a bit hard to judge him on the American franchises he owns, namely because they are franchises and not sports teams.

In particular he has only just bought a controlling share in the NJD from what I know, but if we want to look at their record I would say they are anything but unsuccessful.

"the Devils have made the playoffs all but four times between 1988 and 2013, including thirteen berths in a row from 1997 to 2010. They finished with a winning record every season from 1992–93 to 2009–10. They have qualified for five Stanley Cup Finals in their history, winning in 1994–95, 1999–00 and 2002–03, only one Cup short of the Detroit Red Wings (with four) as the most since since 1990."

If we are going to compare the NHL structure to football I would say the playoffs are similar to European football and winning 3 "Champions League" finals in the last 25 years would be something all football fans would be ecstatic with. Can they improve on that, sure, but I would happily take that success right now rather than worrying about whether we will have a squad and manager next year which is the situation at our club right now.

As someone said above, the 76ers are in full re-build mode but they did make their respective playoffs last year and beat the number 1 team in their conference. For a relatively weak franchise (in a sport dominated by the Heat and the Bulls) that isn't bad.

I get the feeling the author of that article is one of the fans who wasn't happy with their franchise being taken over. Harris seems to invest in his teams and work towards their success, as they said the only way to make money with a sports team is to have success. I for one wouldn't be opposed to an owner like Harris who wants to build success, it's a lot better than our current set up who seem to be more interested in, stealing an Americanism to get in the spirit of things, making a quick buck right now.

They've done their part saving the club and giving us a boost in the right direction, but lets get an owner in who wants to build success and take that forwards if the current owners are only interested in turning a profit/getting a return on their investment now.
  • isn't a guy who is shrewd with his money EXACTLY what we want? I'd rather have a guy come in, make us financially secure and (if in some fictitious world he made money off us in the process) I couldn't care less. If he doesnt make big signings (lets face it, we would have some signings just maybe not the million buys) or get in star players, that's fine by me. As long as the stability and future of the club was secured, thats good enough. Take that scenario over the Pompey blueprint of spending cash for fun anyday. I've loved being in the champ last 2 years, admittedly not always the best football on show from us, but more exciting than the Prem IMO. For me, getting a takeover and throwing ridiculous cash at players to buy our way into the prem is not what its about
  • Reading the article I'm not sure what the writers point is. What is he saying the Harris has done wrong?

Maybe it's because the article is badly written and jumps all over the place including some bizarre reference to high school gym teachers but what is he actually saying?

It is a terrible article. It's hard to take seriously when it's that badly written.
  • If he takes over it sounds like he would run club like A.Villa with young players who they can sell at profit. Don't know if they are in debt still but were when Randy Lerner took over.
  • When I was out in the US last year I'm sure NJ Devils were in the Stanley Cup final at the time, so they can't be that bad.
  • Have seen this story in the Mail today about our potential new owners

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&ved=0CDcQqQIwAQ&url=http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2515257/Charlton-set-bought-American-sports-owner-Josh-Harris--CHARLES-SALE.html&ei=nzGYUreDEsGBhAfX6IG4Dw&usg=AFQjCNGy-0Uc0jf8fV072-gj3nU2nRMkag&bvm=bv.57155469,d.bGQ

and this got me thinking. How does he run the 76'ers and devils. Neither of whom are renowned for their success. After a quick google search, came across this article about how he runs his franchises and how he views money.

http://www.crossingbroad.com/2013/09/john-gonzalez-helps-explain-why-joshua-harris-is-just-so-damn-rich.html

A very interesting article and if its too be believed, I wouldn't go expecting too many signings in the near future. Certainly doesn't seem like the kind of owner that is going to throw money after money.

I think you were looking for this thread - forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/58069/now-defunct-sayings#latest
  • Franchise sport and especially US franchise sport is easier to make money with the collective deals on everything, compared to the rampant capitalism of English football. Different business model will be required.
  • The great thing about us is that we already have something to build on. We don't need a massive clearout - just some targeted improvments - perfect!
  • Sponsored links:

• edited November 2013
    It would appear that his ethos would be very similar to the existing owners.

Value for money, build the academy & bring through the youngsters.

The big difference being, that he has money and they don't or are unwilling to spend it.
  • Just a thought and maybe I am putting two and two together and making five.

He does not have an NFL franchise, and apparently the NFL want a London based franchise to join in. If he owned a stadium over here would it give him an advantage in any bidding? Ground sharing with Charlton at a new site.
  • alangee said:

Just a thought and maybe I am putting two and two together and making five.

He does not have an NFL franchise, and apparently the NFL want a London based franchise to join in. If he owned a stadium over here would it give him an advantage in any bidding? Ground sharing with Charlton at a new site.

Why not ground sharing with Charlton at The Valley?
  • Won't the locals moan: Think Greenwich council only allow a certain number of "non-football" related events at The Valley.
  • LenGlover said:

alangee said:

Just a thought and maybe I am putting two and two together and making five.

Why not ground sharing with Charlton at The Valley?

Good point Len they could try that first .
  • Any NFL team will want at least 40k, preferably 50k+, also there is nothing like enough room to the east of the pitch at the valley.