Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

£1 Challenge

For the terminally skint.
I was told this at the weekend by some students, find the most interesting present you can from the pound shop (99p shop if you're really tight)
I found some decent books in the Eltham pound shop.

Comments

• Nowt wrong with pound / 99p shops once you get past your own snobbishness. Use them a lot
  • I use them too. They're excellent for things like toiletries - why pay full price for branded goods when you can get them for £1?
  • In 100 years time all the pound shops will be in vogue and up market...M & S's Penny Bazaar was the poor mans shop of it's day, but look at it now...completely up it's own backside (don't say I didn't warn you)

ps. We even have a pound shop in the posh town where I live.
  • I often wonder what they are going to do when inflation has bitten for a few years. Will they rename themselves the two pound shop?
  • You've got to know the real value of what you're shopping for to get your money's worth out of those places. You can get great bargains on some stuff, but they have to make their money somehow. They do this by selling loads of stuff for a £1 that could be bought cheaper elsewhere. Even 5 years since the shit hit the fan, many (maybe most) people are not that price sensitive to know what lots of individual items should really cost, they therefore pay over the odds when using pound shops. If you're not sure then a good rule of thumb is, if it's on a big display in the window you're probably getting a bargain; if it's not, be wary.
  • Nowt wrong with pound / 99p shops once you get past your own snobbishness. Use them a lot

Are things expensive in there?
  • I know people that won't use them in case their neighbours or friends see them coming out of the shop. You might laugh, but back in my day you were dug out at school if you'd been seen in Manzes.
  • I know people that won't use them in case their neighbours or friends see them coming out of the shop. You might laugh, but back in my day you were dug out at school if you'd been seen in Manzes.

They need to grow up a bit then ! The kids must be a right mare for brands if the parents are too proud to use them. I thought that kinda thing stopped in the playground ?
  • Funnily enough the kids round here don't seem to do the brand stuff like I experienced in London.
  • Funnily enough the kids round here don't seem to do the brand stuff like I experienced in London.

Where are you based dude ? is pretty much the same here in totnes, I look like a homeless person if I get any further north than Bristol :)
  • Sponsored links:

• Leominster...where men are men and sheep are nervous.
  • Quite like poundstretcher down here, not to sure if the toiliterries are genuine though and there are usually good offers in Superdrug and Boots so we tend to stick with them for that kind of stuff.....we have just switched doing our on-line shop (about every 6-8 weeks) from Sainsburys to Asda and the wife reckons we saved around 30 pound on a single shop.

Certain family member of mine won't use Lidl's, £1 shops, and uses M & S bags when shopping in Tesco's/Sainsburys.

Certain family member of mine won't use Lidl's, £1 shops, and uses M & S bags when shopping in Tesco's/Sainsburys.
    It's not Cynthia Bucket is it?
  • Thank goodness for Sainsbury's, they keep the riff raff out of Waitrose! S.Fry
  • Tarquin and his mother shopping in Waitrose.....mummy is Lego spelt with a silent T the same as in Merlot?
  • iainment said:

I know people that won't use them in case their neighbours or friends see them coming out of the shop. You might laugh, but back in my day you were dug out at school if you'd been seen in Manzes.

It's not Cynthia Bucket is it?
    You met my sister ?
  • Ilford has an 89p shop.
  • edited November 2013

I know people that won't use them in case their neighbours or friends see them coming out of the shop. You might laugh, but back in my day you were dug out at school if you'd been seen in Manzes.

Crikey, I'm 43 and I was cool at school for eating pie and mash. Any remarks would have been met with 'you ain't a Londoner if you don't eat it'.
  • Jayajosh said:

Crikey, I'm 43 and I was cool at school for eating pie and mash. Any remarks would have been met with 'you ain't a Londoner if you don't eat it'.
    This was in the fifties.

• Sponsored links:

• edited November 2013

Jayajosh said:

This was in the fifties.

That makes sense. My mother would never eat in there, she was far too posh for that so she would sit in the car while I would have an eat-in with my dad. We would have to get one to take home for mum after we finished. Mum would always make me bring fish and chips in the house in a bag so the neighbours couldn't see the usual wrapping of f&cs. She's still the same today, well into her sixties.
  • Jayajosh said:

Jayajosh said:

This was in the fifties.

That makes sense. My mother would never eat in there, she was far too posh for that so she would sit in the car while I would have an eat-in with my dad. We would have to get one to take home for mum after we finished. Mum would always make me bring fish and chips in the house in a bag so the neighbours couldn't see the usual wrapping of f&cs. She's still the same today, well into her sixties.
    Your mum sounds brilliant.

• My wife told me that when she had piano lessons as a child, she was under strict instructions from her mum not to tell the tutor that her dad was a black taxi driver!
  • My wife told me that when she had piano lessons as a child, she was under strict instructions from her mum not to tell the tutor that her dad was a black taxi driver!

Good advice...the tutor would have upped the fee.

• I've always tried to stress to students, in my school, that places like Poundland can be very useful for getting cheap stationery etc. I noticed that there could be comments made about certain shops but we've had talks about the recession and how families can benefit by buying similar products at much cheaper prices. Sadly, I have a feeling that people will be embracing these shops even more in the coming years.
  • Nowt wrong with the pound shop. Get my cans of monster for work in my local one. 99p a can as aposed to 1.40 in asda also batteries are very good from there especaily the little round ones my boy uses in his hex bugs. Quite often tho i will come out with a bag full of stuff get home and think what the feck did i need that for..