Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Need an Estate Agent......(SE26/SE23).

Can anyone recommend, or alternately tell me to avoid, any Estate Agents in the Sydenham/Forest Hill areas ?
Need to sell my flat, no immediate rush, but can't let it drag either.

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    Thank You SA.
    Was wondering if anyone has any experience (good or bad) of these.
  • Options
    Theyre all bent. I wouldnt use a normal estate agent if I was flogging a house. They cant be trusted to report all the offers to you or try and get the best price.

Id use one of the cheap online ones like emoov or something.
  • Options

Theyre all bent. I wouldnt use a normal estate agent if I was flogging a house. They cant be trusted to report all the offers to you or try and get the best price.

They have to pass on all offers in writing. Why woudn't they if they're on a %age?

• Options

Have to agree, paulsturgess. Will def go down this route if/when we decide to sell.

Have just read about another online one that puts most properties straight onto Primelocation/Zoopla/Rightmove sites.

www.housenetwork.co.uk

• Options
    One advantage of estate agents is they probably know loads of investors who would be after a flat if you want it sold quick. Otherwise, if it's on rightmove that's all you need.
  • Options
    Addickted said:

They have to pass on all offers in writing. Why woudn't they if they're on a %age?

They're supposed to but that doesn't mean they do. They pass on the offers that suit them, or at least push the vendor towards the offers that suit them. Buyer says they'll use the agents' mortgage broker they get put to the top of the list. Investor says they'll rent it out through the agent, again they get put to the top of the list. All bent. Try an online one as suggested above, you'll save a packet as well.
  • Options
    If you do go with an online one you should still get a few high street agents round to value it, so you can be confident you're putting it on at the right price. South East London prices have rocketed since last Xmas, so what the house next door sold for this time last year probably won't be anything like what yours is worth now.
  • Options
    Put simply you cannot trust these cancerous individuals as far as you can spit them.

Lying is their trade, my advice would be to use a cheap online service and have nothing to do with them, unless you have money to throw away steer clear of them.

Intolerable people
  • Options
    MrLargo said:

Addickted said:

They're supposed to but that doesn't mean they do. They pass on the offers that suit them, or at least push the vendor towards the offers that suit them. Buyer says they'll use the agents' mortgage broker they get put to the top of the list. Investor says they'll rent it out through the agent, again they get put to the top of the list. All bent. Try an online one as suggested above, you'll save a packet as well.
    They're not supposed to, they have to.

Have a look at The Estate Agents Act 1979. Those that don't follow this are breaking the law.

Don't get me wrong, I think Estate Agents are one of those professions that anyone can do and they earn ridiculous amounts for the work they carry out for Joe Public, but you can't tar them all with the same brush as those who operate illegally - which are very few and far between.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Addickted said:

MrLargo said:

Addickted said:

They're not supposed to, they have to.

Have a look at The Estate Agents Act 1979. Those that don't follow this are breaking the law.

Don't get me wrong, I think Estate Agents are one of those professions that anyone can do and they earn ridiculous amounts for the work they carry out for Joe Public, but you can't tar them all with the same brush as those who operate illegally - which are very few and far between.

You clearly didn't watch Dispatches on Channel 4 the other week. By no means are they few and far between, particularly in this part of the world.
  • Options
    Addickted theyre all bent as a butchers hook. As far as I can tell straight agents are the exception rather than the rule, certainly in south east London. I know somebody personally who recently sold their house in Charlton. They accepted an offer through the agent but were then approached directly by another buyer who knocked on the door and had actually already offered a higher amount on the property but the agent hadnt reported it because they wanted the other offer to be accepted. Ive heard loads of stories like that an experienced similar things myself.

The percentage is pretty irrelevant to the agent as long as the sale goes through so that doesnt provide them with any motivation to report the best offers. If theyre on 2% and have two offers on a place of 295k and 300k, the extra 5k will make them 100 quid extra commission. Thats irrelevant if they can make an extra grand out of the person offering 295k by flogging them a mortgage as well.
  • Options
    The point about their mortgage advisor is a valid one. I went to an IFA and the sellers agents were very aggressive about getting us to speak to their guy, just for a "chat". Seeing as they look at fewer products than the IFA, and quite simply aren't in any way independent, we refused. They didn't like it. the IFA reckons that part of it, as well as simply the commission they get from flogging the mortgage is that they want to poke about in your business to see if they should prioritise you or a different buyer. What matter to them is the speed at which the deal is done so they can move onto the next one, not the size of the offer. We were told that as a buyer if you go in waving your mortgage agreement in principle from an IFA, they at least know you are good for the money. Otherwise I reckon they would just ignore you.
  • Options
    So...I take it that no-one has any personal experiences with any SE23/SE26 (or local) estate agents ?
  • Options
    Ask on a Palace or Millwall forum :-)
  • Options
    Someone said on Facebook I should use Winkworths in Dulwich as they sponsor the 'Amlet.
    ;-)
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    I sold a flat in forest hill back in 2008. The agent I used was Robert Stanford (main contact was Ben). They seemed pretty good so I'd give them a try.
  • Options
    @bolderhumphreyreid owns his own estate agents… If you can’t trust a Charlton fan...
  • Options
    Do it online mog. Nothing to lose everything to gain
  • Options
    Chunes said:

@bolderhumphreyreid owns his own estate agents… If you can’t trust a Charlton fan...

How the heck did you know that??!!!?!

Indeed I do and I agree with the views above.

Only got into it a few years ago and took punt as it didn't seem that difficult, and I was correct.

Having interviewed a lot of existing "agents" I can confirm that the training they're given is all wrong wrong wrong.

It's like they start off as decent people and are very quickly brainwashed into the people you have all obviously met when selling/buying your own properties.

I'm not based in the area you are but I'm happy to put it up on Rightmove, Zoopla and the rest for you if you wish for £200. As long as you can do the viewings I'll do the advertising.

Let me know.

Ps. Can everyone now forget what I do for a living....and you're back in the room.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Where are you based BHR ?
  • Options
    West Sussex.
  • Options

West Sussex.

Oooh ! Could be moving thataway in the New Year !

• Options

West Sussex.

I've got just the palace (not crystal) for you princess FF!

Keep in touch.
  • Options

West Sussex.

I've got just the palace (not crystal) for you princess FF!

Keep in touch.
    Will do, thanks !

• Options
    Do you think they like purple, and who the f**k puts a table and chairs next to a bed!!!