Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Dehumidifiers - Quick question

Quick Question Lads and Lasses
Anybody got or used a Dehumidifier?
Do what they say on the tin??
Any Decent input appreciated
Taaaaaaaaaa

Comments

• Options
    Have one and use it regularly in the winter months. You would be amazed how much water it collects overnight. Useful in helping to dry clothes on a clothes horse overnight where otherwise the room would just fill with condensation. As with everything you get what you pay for. Mine cost about £200 + about three years ago.
  • Options
    Agree with Shooters, they really do collect a huge amount of water, worth paying for a decent one, what are you using it for?
  • Options
    House just has so much moisture it's ridiculous, clothes cold and damp feeling coming out of wardrobe, we wall, etc
    Thanks guys
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Have had them currently in the house for 4 weeks ,due to bathroom ceiling collapsing and flooding the house if you can put up with the noise they are brilliant, the one we've got it a drizair 1200 by drieaz, they are very powerful, no idea on cost , i'm sure you could google it , our ones provided by chemdry through the insurance company.
  • Options
    Cheers bud
  • Options
    Yep, from memory I think we paid about £90. Works like a dream. As others have said, amazed at how much it will collect.
  • Options
    Got one, a godsend in a Victorian house with double glazing. Ours was from Argos and was about £50-100. As an additional use the water it pulls out is great for use in steam irons.

• Options
    We've got 2. Very good & well worth it. Had a problem with damp in one room & controls it. We were surprised how effective they were.
  • Options
    Had one in the past and agree with what has been said, they actually do what it says on the tin.
    No idea about the science involved, and don't know if they're heavy on the old leccy either.
  • Options
    Echo everything thats been said! Well worth the money
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Quick Question Lads and Lasses
    Anybody got or used a Dehumidifier?
    Do what they say on the tin??
    Any Decent input appreciated
    Taaaaaaaaaa

Do you need it for a short period or long-term? I have one you can borrow if you want to see how if it works for you.
  • Options
    finally bought one a couple of weeks a go, due to problems with damp especially in one room - works a treat so far, amazing how much water it collects. I went for this one from Ebac:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ebac-2650e-Dehumidifier/dp/B0040GIH3W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1384620078&sr=8-1&keywords=ebac+dehumidifier
    as it has good reviews and is a Which? best buy - although bought it direct from Ebac website as it's cheaper and, more importantly, comes with a 5 yr warranty.
    It seems like dehumidifiers can be unreliable. which is another reason I bought direct from the manufacturer.
    Ebac are British by the way and their products are made in the UK.

PS Can't say if you get what you pay for or not, we really needed a good one so I went with what seemed the best from reading reviews on Amazon etc.
  • Options
    PS Don't use a lot of leccy, about the same as a fridge probably.
  • Options
    I got one a few years ago after a water leak in my flat, great for getting rid of dampness and really useful for drying washing. Just a basic model from Argos or Curry's
  • Options
    I Live in a bungalow as was experiencing problems with Condensation and mould.

Had a pressure ventilation system installed which has stopped all the condensation and the mould has all cleard up, very cost effective to run. Expensive bit of kit but glad I got this installed.
  • Options
    Andrews-Sykes hire them.
  • Options
    Del - magic gesture thanks but decided to get one today, funny enough same one as Salad from argos.
    Thanks all
  • Options
    On a general point. Many are commenting on their condensation problems here and I get called out on many, many occasions when the weather is particularly cold with people complaining about roof leaks. In numerous cases these "leaks" are due to condensation, where moist air inside a property is not ventilated and ends up condensing on cold surfaces such as walls and ceilings, mirrors and single-glazed windows.
    When cooking, bathing or drying clothes it is important to ensure there is adequate ventilation by means of suitable extractors, dehumidifiers or even opening windows where necessary. Condensation often results in patches of black mould developing in affected areas and can lead to serious damage to decorations and structural timbers if not dealt with. Be aware.
  • Options
    delroofer said:

On a general point. Many are commenting on their condensation problems here and I get called out on many, many occasions when the weather is particularly cold with people complaining about roof leaks. In numerous cases these "leaks" are due to condensation, where moist air inside a property is not ventilated and ends up condensing on cold surfaces such as walls and ceilings, mirrors and single-glazed windows.
    When cooking, bathing or drying clothes it is important to ensure there is adequate ventilation by means of suitable extractors, dehumidifiers or even opening windows where necessary. Condensation often results in patches of black mould developing in affected areas and can lead to serious damage to decorations and structural timbers if not dealt with. Be aware.

Kitchen and Bathroom are generally the main places that create steam and humidity, open a window.
  • Options
    Badger. That is so obvious, but I find many people refuse to open a window in cold weather - when it is most important to do it. I have also had clients admit that they don't use the extractor fan in the kitchen or bathroom as "it's too noisy".
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    All the bloody vents are bricked up in my house, it is something I always 'promise to do and then curse when the cold weather comes
  • Options
    Another few little tips.

When using the kitchen or bathroom keep the doors closed. Close the bedroom doors as well to prevent water vapour finding it's way into rooms that may be colder than the room where the steam is being generated.

Reduce the amount of steam when cooking by covering pans, this will speed up cooking time and probably save your some money, by reducing the gas.

If you do have condensation on your windows, don't use a cloth use newspaper to wipe it away.
  • Options
    You have to be careful not to use a dehumidifier too much, they can cause shrinkage in wooden furniture and plaster, or anything else that has a normal moisture content.
  • Options
    Badger said:

Another few little tips.

When using the kitchen or bathroom keep the doors closed. Close the bedroom doors as well to prevent water vapour finding it's way into rooms that may be colder than the room where the steam is being generated.

Reduce the amount of steam when cooking by covering pans, this will speed up cooking time and probably save your some money, by reducing the gas.

If you do have condensation on your windows, don't use a cloth use newspaper to wipe it away.

Why newspaper as opposed to a cloth ?
  • Options
    Newspaper works better imo. Good way to use up free paper that would normally get thrown away.

Just my opion.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Evening all,

Bit of advice needed please. I rent out a flat in Bexley, and the tenant has said she has started to get a bit of mould.

The walls affected are outside walls., if that helps.

I had the guttering done 3 years ago.

Is it worth me getting her a couple of dehumidifiers, before I get the roof looked at?
    Also, I have advised her to ventilate the rooms when using the shower, cooker etc, but not sure she is listening.

If the roof needs looking at, anybody on here local,I believe @delroofer is busy for the foreseeable future,,

Many thanks

Tony
  • Options
    cafcbrown said:

Evening all,

Bit of advice needed please. I rent out a flat in Bexley, and the tenant has said she has started to get a bit of mould.

The walls affected are outside walls., if that helps.

I had the guttering done 3 years ago.

Is it worth me getting her a couple of dehumidifiers, before I get the roof looked at?
    Also, I have advised her to ventilate the rooms when using the shower, cooker etc, but not sure she is listening.

If the roof needs looking at, anybody on here local,I believe @delroofer is busy for the foreseeable future,,

Many thanks

Tony

If she is reporting mould then the roof is not the cause. It will be condensation caused by a lack of ventilation and you will have to make sure she opens windows, closes doors when using the bathroom and kitchen, does not dry clothes indoors, etc, etc, etc.
    A dehumidifier will help to take the moisture from the affected rooms but she will have to learn to change some habits to reduce or eliminate the problem.
  • Options
    Got an industrial one sitting in the garage collecting dust
  • Options
    smiffyboy said:

Got an industrial one sitting in the garage collecting dust

I think a dust extractor is something different ;-)
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    @smiffyboy, would you be interested in selling it?