Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Has anyone got experience of fund raising?

Bit of a long-shot, but CAFC supporters never cease to amaze me. Down here in Shep. Neame Land, we are trying to save an historic boatyard ( where the Thames barges are restored) and establish a community boatyard. We need money so any advice on fund raising would be enthusiastically welcomed. Thank you.

Comments

• Options
    edited November 2013
  • Options
    Good one, thank you Len.
  • Options
    A girl from our town put on a show "Songs from the musicals" or something like that, to raise money for a charity nobody had ever heard of. We all thought it would fail...the show booked for one night ran for two weeks such was the demand.

• Options
    edited November 2013
    If, as appears, there is community and educational benefit you could probably legitimately set up a registered charity "Friends of Faversham Boatyard" or whatever. You could then claim gift aid on your membership subscriptions as well as larger donations assuming that the members and / or donors are tax payers.

http://www.charitycommission.gov.uk/detailed-guidance/charitable-purposes-and-public-benefit/guidance-on-charitable-purposes/

If you do set up a charity and produce a newsletter make sure you edit it yourself!

:-)
  • Options

A girl from our town put on a show "Songs from the musicals" or something like that, to raise money for a charity nobody had ever heard of. We all thought it would fail...the show booked for one night ran for two weeks such was the demand.

That's an interesting one. Do you happen to know how much was raised?

• Options

Half a Sixpence
  • Options

Half a Sixpence
    Steele yourself for a comeback....
  • Options
    LOL. I think I'm after more of a Thoroughly Modern Millieon.
  • Options

Around £3,000 (after the show costs were taken out)

Me and the gf also raised £250 in one hour for Downs Syndrome, by simply busking in front of their stall...this was completely unrehearsed and a bit patchy to say the least, but nobody seemed to mind.

• Options
    Use social media to advertise any fund raising events
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Around £3,000 (after the show costs were taken out)

Me and the gf also raised £250 in one hour for Downs Syndrome, by simply busking in front of their stall...this was completely unrehearsed and a bit patchy to say the least, but nobody seemed to mind.

Has your gf got big tits - that always helps to persuade people to put some coins in the bucket. :-)
  • Options

Has your gf got big tits - that always helps to persuade people to put some coins in the bucket. :-)

34b...but she does have a persuasive manner :-)

• Options
    You could ask Sir Henry of Rightousness but it would end up with a lecture and an argument.
  • Options
    Do you know roughly how much you need?

I help manage fundraising for a local charity and from events, grants, legacies, donations etc we raise about £30k a year, but it's a slog and getting harder. If you need significantly more than that you'll need a pretty big team of dedicated people.

There might just be some trusts that exist for the purposes of establishing such community facilities, I can make some enquiries if you want to go down that route. Be ready for some serious form filling though.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Heritage lottery funding up to 10k is relatively quick and easy. Over that it there is a lot of dosh but a lot of work. Find your local museum/heritage centre and tap into their expertise.

Ditto other similar campaigns. Pick their brains.

See what you can get in kind ie local colleges for design and build work, prisons for cleaning out.

Local celebs might donate items to sell or attend fundraising events.

I would avoid taking money off people for a flag which never sees the light of day. : - )
  • Options
    Do you actually already have a charity with number etc.
  • Options
    edited November 2013

I would avoid taking money off people for a flag which never sees the light of day. : - )

#whataknob
  • Options

Do you actually already have a charity with number etc.

In process of applying, but only for part of the total scheme.

Many thanks to all. There appear to be quite a lot of funding streams for different purposes e.g giving kids a chance to learn to canoe and build small boats attracts EU funding. Fascinating area. A cool £3 million should see us through! I get the feeling I'm going to be kept busy. Luckily the one thing we do have is a large number of very determined people.

• Options
    Start a 'Boatyard Addicks' group - get Chris Powell down to open it and charge a fiver to get in.

:o)