Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Best Advice You Were Ever Given

Back in the '80s I was a young union rep. Something had happened at work, I can't remember what, but I got vicariously angry on behalf of my members. I wrote a stinging letter to the head of personnel that was full of invective.

This wise old man took the time to explain to me about the importance of building relationships rather than attacking people. His particular advice on complaining in writing I thing is very useful: When you have finished writing your missive, read it again and take out the line that you are most proud of. That is invariably the one that will do the most damage.

I can't say that I have always used it, as some of you may know. But I do use it regularly and do think it's valuable.

Comments

• Options
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
  • Options
    Sheff Utd will come good.....
  • Options
    'Use two fingers, bend them slightly, and move up and down gently'
  • Options
    Don't sh#t on your own doorstep
  • Options
    "Everyone else is making it up as they go along, but they're so intent on avoiding being found out, they won't question you."
  • Options
    If a job's worth doing, it's worth doing properly!
  • Options
    "Get yourself a good accountant"
  • Options
    The Magna Carta gives you the right to smoke in public toilets, especially at football grounds.
    ;-)
  • Options

'Use two fingers, bend them slightly, and move up and down gently'

Haha brilliant!

And "This".
  • Options
    Just say no
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    When driving, treat every other driver as an idiot and expect the unexpected!
  • Options
    Stay away from the "Boardroom Watch" thread!
  • Options
    If she don't come, tickle her up the bum with a lump of celery

• Options
    Tell Sid
  • Options
    An old chestnut but 'Fail to prepare, prepare to fail' is so true in almost anything you do. My lads cringe when I say it in a 'told-you-so' kind of way.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Breathe. After that, everything else is up to you!
  • Options
    Stone said:

An old chestnut but 'Fail to prepare, prepare to fail' is so true in almost anything you do. My lads cringe when I say it in a 'told-you-so' kind of way.

Similarly, the old 'never ass because it makes an ass of u & me' adage.
    Also 'don't get mad, get even' has always worked well but very difficult to adopt in the heat of battle.
  • Options
    You get what you pay for.
  • Options
    "Do something you're good at and enjoy" has held me in good stead.
  • Options
    McBobbin said:

"Do something you're good at and enjoy" has held me in good stead.

I'd never leave my flat!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    never get into a CL argument with Henry Irving
  • Options

always look on the bright side of life

• Options
    You've got two ears and one mouth so listen twice as much as you speak.

(It may not seem like it given the number of posts I make on here!)
  • Options
    "two in the pink, one in the stink!"
  • Options
    Always go for women with small hands.
  • Options
    Before judging ALWAYS listen to both sides of the argument (applies to many threads on here...)
  • Options
    Life is not a dress rehersal for something else. Live it whilst you can.
  • Options
    My Old Grandad who worked in the Admiralty all his life always told me "Never visit a Country that ends in 'stan'".
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Not to get too hung up and stressed about work. Mere days before Mum died, she said to me that 6 months beforehand (when she never even knew she was ill) she came home from work feeling almost ill with stress over something or another happening in the office. She said that now she knows she is literally in her last days, she is thinking of me, my dad, her family, and all the times she spent with us. She realised how pointless (unless you are saving lives) and unimportant work is compared to family.
  • Options
    'If it ain't there, it can't go wrong'.