Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Beer

Comments

• Options
    I am off to Belgium soon, and having just got into beer (as opposed to lager) am looking for some recommendations to bring back, I have the following on my list:
    Chimay ( red, white & blue)
    Rochefort Trappistes 10
    Kwak
    Delirium tremens
    Tripel karmeliet

Any other suggestions would be great

Thanks

• Options
    Nice list!

Personally, if I was going to drink Chimay I'd always stick with the blue one. That said, it's so easy to get at home that I probably wouldn't bother with it over there - better to try something a bit rarer. It's worth remembering that Chimay tends to have a high carbon content so unless you particularly like your beer fizzy (you may well do as a recent lager drinker) then it might pay to open the bottle 20 minutes before you drink it; I've told myself this many a time but not actually managed it ;-)

Rochefort comes several different varieties (three I think). All are lovely, as as is Pawel Kwak.

Belgium is big on sour beers and fruit beers. They aren't my cup of tea but if you like cider, it might be worth trying these as an alternative.

Bosteels Karmaliet Tripel, Maradsous, Orval and Westmalle (personally I prefer the tripel to the dubbel) are all worth a try.

Duval is very tasty and refreshing, but the same probably applies as Chimay - it's so easily available you might not want to bother. De Konick is very nice if you want something that's not quite as strong as the others (only 5%). But if you really want to push the boat out, go for a Bush Ambree 12%.

Finally, there's some brilliant beers from just over the border in France. In particular St Sylvestre 3 monts which is lovely and La Choulette Ambree which to my mind is better than anything produced in Belgium.

Have a great trip.
  • Options
    @Stig , cheers for the tips, I had noticed Chimay and duvel over here, so may not bother with them. Will be driving , so will look at the French beers
  • Options
    In that case Maradsous, Bush Ambree and both of the French beers I mentioned are available from Carrefour in Cite Europe ;-)
  • Options
    What part of Belgium/city are you visiting? It's worth the effort to look out for a pub/café that has got a lot of special beers, not those you can get in the supermarket. I'll make a list of special beers to try later on.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    See if you can find the book "The Great Beers of Belgium" by Michael Jackson (no, not that MJ).
  • Options
    That's indeed a nice book, however written some time ago (MJ died a couple of years ago). There's a new vibe currently amongst Belgian beers now. Lot's of micro/garage beers - sometimes incredible stuff. Some pubs have 100+ beers. Do try to avoid driving afterwards, 'cause fines are no joke lately.
  • Options
    I am a bit behind the times Luke. What that book made me realise is that the Belgians take their beer VERY seriously and consequently there are some amazing brews to be sampled. I made a pilgrimage to Belgium as a result of reading that book - at that time you could find bars with long "beer menus" - hope they've survived.
  • Options
    cafcbrown said:

I am off to Belgium soon, and having just got into beer (as opposed to lager) am looking for some recommendations to bring back, I have the following on my list:
    Chimay ( red, white & blue)
    Rochefort Trappistes 10
    Kwak
    Delirium tremens
    Tripel karmeliet

Any other suggestions would be great

Thanks

Where are you off to?

If Bruges, there is a wonderful little bar called Staminee de Garre hidden down an alleyway. Their De Garre Triple house beer (in my profile pic), is absolutely magic.

Kwak is one of my all time favourites as well.

Delirium is worth a go.
  • Options
    Doing Oostende , Bruges and may fit somewhere else in!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Not been to sample it myself but someone who would know tells me that monasteries in Belgium brew a decent drop.
  • Options
    Why does beer taste so different in similar locations ?
    I know it's to do with storage and cleaning the lines. But even so.

Guinness in Charlton:

The Bugle 8 out of 10. Lovely, thick & creamy. Always good.
    The Anchor 8 ditto.
    The Swan 7 decent but not as good, sometimes not good at all.
    ROD 7 ditto.
    White Horse 5 not much body or taste
    The Oak 5 quite often undrinkable even off different pumps, sometimes ok at best.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    I think you'll have a nice time in Bruges (but it is a rather small city). Ostend, however, might turn out disappointing (old & dirty). Lot's of things to do in Antwerp.

Try for blond beers (up to 7% alc.):
    Brugse zot blond
    Strandgaper
    Quinto
    Palm Hop Select (extra hop is a trend lately)
    XX Bitter ( very refreshing)

Try for blond beers (more than 7% alc.):
    Bersalis tripel
    Buffalo bitter
    Duvel Tripel Hop (American hop, so lots of citrus)
    La Chouffe ( you can find this easily in the supermarket)
    La Chouffe Houblon (French for hop) IPA
    Hopus (excellent - refreshing )
    Gouden Carolus Hopsinjoor
    Straffe Hendrik
    Wolf 7 lupus

Brown beers:
    Brugse zot dubbel (as in double)
    Goudenband
    Gouden Carolus Classic
    McChouffe (also easily found in supermarkets)
    Oesterstout ( a stout - = magnificent)
    St-Bernardus Abt 12 (don't leave Belgium without trying this one)
    Straffe Hendrik Quadruppel

Trappist beers:
    Westmalle dubbel (brown beer - found in supermarkets)
    Westmalle tripel (one of my favourites)
    Chimay blauw (blue)
    La Trappe Quadruppel (brown beer) normal version, there's an oak aged version of this one (with a cork), but you'll probably pay 15-20 € for a 37,5cl beer. Better try the others first (between 2,5 and 3,5 € / beer)

If you take your mss, let her try Lindemans Kriek (fermented on cherries): not too sour, but sweet. Other kriek/cherry beers are more sour
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    FYI : there's a difference between a trappist beer and a monastery beer. Trappist is made & bottled inside a monastery, run by real Cistercian monks. Untill a couple of years ago, only 7 trappist beers existed: Chimay, Westmalle, Westvleteren, Orval, Achel, Rochefort in Belgium and La Trappe in Holland. About two years ago Zundert (also Dutch) and Engelszell in Austria were added. There's one more coming probably ... out of the US ! There's another one in France called Mont des Cats, however it's not allowed to call itself a real trappist, because it gets bottled elsewhere, not between the walls of the monastery.
    Other beers (Leffe, Maredsous, ...) are beers made by large breweries made using a trappist style. They didn't really see a monk or the inside of a monastery. (as modern day Hoegaarden is made by a large brewery-same as stella and jupiler, the original one 30 years ago was completely different).
  • Options
    @skywalker , thank you, awesome information. I am thinking of missing Ostend, is Antwerp far from Bruges?
  • Options
    Don't discount Ghent either, cracking place.
  • Options
    skywalker said:

I think you'll have a nice time in Bruges (but it is a rather small city). Ostend, however, might turn out disappointing (old & dirty). Lot's of things to do in Antwerp.

Try for blond beers (up to 7% alc.):
    Brugse zot blond
    Strandgaper
    Quinto
    Palm Hop Select (extra hop is a trend lately)
    XX Bitter ( very refreshing)

Try for blond beers (more than 7% alc.):
    Bersalis tripel
    Buffalo bitter
    Duvel Tripel Hop (American hop, so lots of citrus)
    La Chouffe ( you can find this easily in the supermarket)
    La Chouffe Houblon (French for hop) IPA
    Hopus (excellent - refreshing )
    Gouden Carolus Hopsinjoor
    Straffe Hendrik
    Wolf 7 lupus

Brown beers:
    Brugse zot dubbel (as in double)
    Goudenband
    Gouden Carolus Classic
    McChouffe (also easily found in supermarkets)
    Oesterstout ( a stout - = magnificent)
    St-Bernardus Abt 12 (don't leave Belgium without trying this one)
    Straffe Hendrik Quadruppel

Trappist beers:
    Westmalle dubbel (brown beer - found in supermarkets)
    Westmalle tripel (one of my favourites)
    Chimay blauw (blue)
    La Trappe Quadruppel (brown beer) normal version, there's an oak aged version of this one (with a cork), but you'll probably pay 15-20 € for a 37,5cl beer. Better try the others first (between 2,5 and 3,5 € / beer)

If you take your mss, let her try Lindemans Kriek (fermented on cherries): not too sour, but sweet. Other kriek/cherry beers are more sour

How could I forget the Westmalle Tripel. A wonderful drop.
  • Options
    Bruges - Antwerp = approx. 100kms
  • Options
    Bruges I was very impressed with browny
  • Options
    La Trappe Blond is a personal favourite of mine from the list above....the good bars will have beer menus and probably do 'paddles' to allow you to try a few in the same round...enjoy!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Guinness in Charlton:

The Anchor 8 ditto.
    ROD 7 ditto.
    The Oak 5 quite often undrinkable even off different pumps, sometimes ok at best.

Thought the bitter in the Oak was pretty poor the last time I was in there (Brighton game).
  • Options
    Cheers all
  • Options

Guinness in Charlton:

The Anchor 8 ditto.
    ROD 7 ditto.

Come and try our stouts and porters at The Long Pond. We'll have a 7% ABV Imperial Porter on at the weekend.
  • Options
    I'm off on a pub crawl around Chelmsford tomorrow. Can't wait.
  • Options
    I heard a rumour there was a lager in the long pond ....
  • Options
    Riviera said:

Guinness in Charlton:

The Anchor 8 ditto.
    ROD 7 ditto.

Come and try our stouts and porters at The Long Pond. We'll have a 7% ABV Imperial Porter on at the weekend.
    Shame you weren't there when I lived around the corner in Well Hall Road.
  • Options
    Shag said:

I heard a rumour there was a lager in the long pond ....

I know several lagers that taste like pond water...
  • Options
    Mauldons (Suffolk based brewery) Blackberry Porter.....well worth trying if you get the chance it's 4.8%.
  • Options

Guinness in Charlton:

The Anchor 8 ditto.
    ROD 7 ditto.

Thought the bitter in the Oak was pretty poor the last time I was in there (Brighton game).
    Sounds like they don't keep things clean then. Over here it makes all the difference to a Pilsner Urquell. The worst places to drink Czech beer in Prague are the British and Irish owned pubs. Worst places to have a piss too, come to think of it.
  • Options
    Stig said:

Just had a birthday and have the following collection thanks to getting several beer presents and more left at my place after my party. Not expecting it to last long ;-)

well why not