Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Leeds fans starting applause during minutes silence

Be interesting to know peoples views on here. Personally think that there is a time and a place for the minutes applause and remembering thousands who lost their lives in conflict over the years aint the time.
Maybe I am old fashioned but I think it was a bloody disgrace.

Comments

• Options
    Fucking attention seeking idiots.
  • Options
    Weren't there. Could it be a Case of pissed up ones coming in not knowing what was going, so this way others tried to cover it up maybe ?
  • Options
    It was odd i thought
  • Options
    I don't like the minutes applause I think the good old fashioned minutes silence is more respectful and dignified and fitting
  • Options
    I didn't think it was right, but I understand why people joined in because the pack mentality of football makes people follow a lead.
    At the end of the day, it was still a show of respect, even if it wasn't perfect.

Also, I thought it was telling that people realised after a while that it wasn't quite right and the applause tailed off. Apart from the small section in the Leeds end where it started, of course.
  • Options
    There was nothing wrong with it.
  • Options
    It's not right for this sort of moment however I think (and BDL can correct) we asked for a moments remembrance rather than silence.
  • Options
    Disgraceful in my book. Rememberance silences are not a celebration of lives they should be a period of quiet mournful reflection. You could tell the majority of Leeds fans were trying to shush the clappers. Just ignorant.
  • Options
    Who claps in a minutes silence?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    A lot of Charlton fans joined in, as did some on the Charlton bench from what I could see.

As long as it is meant in a way of commemorating/appreciation I see nothing wrong with it, although I was silent.
  • Options
    Easily the least important issue of the day. Remembrance can take many forms. I don't see the clapping as disrespectful
  • Options
    BGSAddick said:

Who claps in a minutes silence?

Leeds !

• Options
    The Charlton fans joining in was just as weird.
  • Options

The Charlton fans joining in was just as weird.

agreed.
  • Options
    It is inappropriate but the intent was respectful. Singing or shouting would be entirely disgraceful.
  • Options
    They actually chanted as well!
  • Options
    To clarify my view. Minutes applause to remember a player etc is all well and good. Remembering people who gave their lives in war is something else. Indeed the person who said easily the least important point of the day? Understand the point but how important is football compared to dying in battle? I would say football means sod all in that context. Remember, many on here will have lost family in Ww1 and 2.
  • Options
    Dont think it was disrespectful as people have their own ways of marking respect.

In terms of a Footballer dying and paying our respect I think clapping is right because as fans thats how we showed our appreciation when they were out on the pitch.

For those who gave their lives in conflict I think there should be silence

BUT that is just what I do and as I said in the first line... Everyone will have their own views and opinions
  • Options
    Should be silent.

Seem to remember they chanted a Revie song at Blackburn after Busby or someone died, so they obviously don't get the whole idea of silent respect for dead.

They are a real mixed bunch. Some decent lads, then others pushing my kids at the station and f'in and blindin on the platform and in the carriage.

And all that keeping the ball in the JS stand in the last ten minutes of the match and playing volley ball with it looked muggy to me.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Not a big deal at all, those who clapped, and those who remained silent were all motivated by trying to mark their respect, no one I heard was trying to be an ars*hole.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

Not a big deal at all, those who clapped, and those who remained silent were all motivated by trying to mark their respect, no one I heard was trying to be an ars*hole.

This. No disrespect shown by anyone.

• Options
    It was almost certainly well in tended, it was almost certainly meant to be a mark of respect and reflects the modern age but it was wrong. A minutes silence is just that and if BDL asked for a minutes remembrance instead then he was misguided to (that's not a critisism or a dig). Under then Menin Gate these days they have signs up and make an announcement not too applaud. If we can't even stay silent for what was actually 30 seconds once a year then I am saddened. I always use this time of year to reflect on a couple of mates who were killed serving their country and personally wouldn't want people to clap them or their sacrifice but maybe I am just too old fashioned.
  • Options
    I think that although it was not out of anything other that good intentions, like most on here, it should be silent. We need to remember what they died for, and how can you do that when you are busy making noise?
  • Options
    Maybe because applause is so commonplace, that it would have been worth telling everybody twice that today it was supposed to be silence.
  • Options
    A minute's silence was asked for so it should have been observed by all. A minute's applause is (to me) only used when there is fear that some might spoil it but that wouldn't have happened in this case.
  • Options
    Simple really they haven't got enough brain cells to compute "Silence" it may not of been disrespectful but it was bloody inappropriate.
  • Options
    Didn't like it at all, but I don't think it was malicious.
  • Options
    JaShea99 said:

A minute's silence was asked for so it should have been observed by all. A minute's applause is (to me) only used when there is fear that some might spoil it but that wouldn't have happened in this case.

That's a really good point.

The added respect of one minutes silence is the fact that every single person has to participate for it to correctly work.

Whereas a minutes applause could have half the people applauding, and still works....
  • Options
    Exactly. When the club celebrates the life of former players who have died in the last year with a minute's applause it's because it's unrealistic (although not unreasonable) to expect away fans to keep quiet and show respect for former players of a team they don't support. But November 11th is something we all (should) have in common.