Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Bailey to visit the Upbeats

Once again we are happy to accept an invitation to visit the Upbeats at Sparrows Lane, hopefully they will be training in their shiney new CharltonLife sponsored kit. (This has to be confirmed) it would be great if we could get a few along to meet the guys and girls they are a great bunch and I have it on good authority they love us being there to cheer them on and maybe join in. It will almost certainly be our last visit before Christmas, so maybe if we have enough in the CL swear box we could persuade AFKA to buy us a Mulled Wine or two. Those that maybe worried about the weather will be encouraged to know they will be training in the dome by the time we visit. So if you can spare an hour or two let me so we can advise on numbers.
Cheers
Rayimage

Comments

• Options
    The Date Raymondo
  • Options
    I'm looking at 23rd or 30th November, maybe 7th of December but no later. I cant put my hands on a fixture list, so any away weekend. Whatever is easier for for others.
  • Options
    Can't do the 30th but the other two dates are ok.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    I cant do any of those weekends either. But you have home game on 23rd and 30th.
  • Options
    Sorry not home game on 23rd. I was thinking of another date.
  • Options
    Really sorry to ask, but I see these threads and usually ignore them because I don't know what you're tlaking about - what are the Upbeats? And what does this day at Sparrows Lane entail?
  • Options
    Jimmy, the Upbeats is a weekly group run by the Community Trust at Sparrows Lane which provides training and activities to kids and adults with Down Syndrome. They also play in associated tournaments etc.

It is a fantastic scheme that is much about fostering friendships and inclusion. We helped organise a massive phone hit for its introduction in 2009 to win a competition to secure funding, and we've done numerous fundraising for the group since, the latest to secure a new kit for the group

http://www.cact.org.uk/news/donation-gives-life-to-upbeats-fund/

I saw the new kit this week and it looks brilliant. I'll add more ahead of when the Upbeats and their new kit will be introduced to the crowd at a future home game.
  • Options
    The day at sparrows lane normally involves a group of us meeting the coaches, given an introduction on what CACT do, watching part of the Upbeats session and then normally joining in a kick around game at the end.

TCE has a trained dog (Bailey) that he brings along and the kids love to meet and stroke. It's a fun, and humbling couple of hours, and anyone is welcome to come along when we / TCE organises visits.
  • Options

Jimmy, the Upbeats is a weekly group run by the Community Trust at Sparrows Lane which provides training and activities to kids and adults with Down Syndrome. They also play in associated tournaments etc.

It is a fantastic scheme that is much about fostering friendships and inclusion. We helped organise a massive phone hit for its introduction in 2009 to win a competition to secure funding, and we've done numerous fundraising for the group since, the latest to secure a new kit for the group

http://www.cact.org.uk/news/donation-gives-life-to-upbeats-fund/

I saw the new kit this week and it looks brilliant. I'll add more ahead of when the Upbeats and their new kit will be introduced to the crowd at a future home game.

I was told about this by Terry on our last visit and although I'm not sure it would be allowed, but if it is there may well be a 4 legged visitor pitchside that day. ;)
    Photos from our previous visit.

imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    Hooray, hooray, hooray, this time we can make it! Two of us + our cameras please.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    If we can sort a date that can suit most that would like to go, we will work around that.
    Any date is suitable to us from next weekend which I believe is football free as its International weekend?
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Is the 7th December convenient for those that would like to visit or is that too close to Christmas, away to Yeovil that day so let me know ASAP please. :)
  • Options
    Bump
    Can folks let me know if they do the 7th (away to Yeovil that day) it will be the last opportunity the Upbeats have to see Bailey until the new year. The Trust, I'm being told will hopefully be in attendance doing a feature on the Upbeats and CL's involvement with them. So please let me ASAP.
    Cheers
    Ray
  • Options
    We'll be there Ray.
  • Options
    Great stuff DM.
  • Options
    Am I going.mad or did that say 21st Dec yesterday ?

Not sure now, have to look into tonight.
  • Options
    I did AFKA it cant be done, the Christmas party is on the 14th then they pack up for a break. It's not appropriate to have Bailey there while the Upbeats maybe walking about with food (for safety reasons as well as hygiene) so the 7th it is.
  • Options
    all real fans will be at Yeovil ;-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    2 unreal fans joining Bailey ;-)
  • Options
    Is that a smily face Steve? That's a first............... ;)
  • Options

I'll add more ahead of when the Upbeats and their new kit will be introduced to the crowd at a future home game.

don't forget to tell that berk who dissed CL in the recent VOTV

• Options
    The Upbeats visit has been confirmed as on the 7th December, I believe we will be getting a preview of the CL kit. The official unveiling will the following week at the Valley (subject to confirmation) so any more interest in visiting Sparrow Lane let me know although unless an unexpected coach load turn up on the day it shouldn't be a problem if you just turn up.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Bumping this for Baileys visit on the 7th, can you let me know if your attending.

I have DM and Stilladdicted +1.......
  • Options
    Shame I'm away for a 50th that weekend.
  • Options
    There's always January, I want to get there once a month if possible. But since he's got well again everyone wants him, we were talking to the BBC yesterday about him appearing on tv. :) He's started training again on Saturday mornings to help getting him fit again, he visits a care home on the front every other Thursday and we do a one 2 one with a guy who thinks his dog wants to kill other dogs every other Friday.
  • Options
    Aside from our visit next weekend, we have been contacted by the BBC and forwarded a couple of videos of Bailey working, they were particularly interested in his work with the Upbeats although I'm still not sure any possible appearance on TV will involve them. We have offered the BBC the opportunity to film Bailey at the training ground with them but as yet that hasn't received any response. Here's the email I received although obviously various details have been removed
    Hi Ray,

I just wanted to send you an update regarding our programme . Firstly, thanks for all your efforts so far. We’ve seen a lot of interest and the standard is amazing. My Producers have viewed your application and they are really impressed! They would like to find out more about you and have particularly expressed interest in viewing footage of you in action.

I’ve provided some examples below of what we would like to see (only send videos of the skills that are relevant to your dog) but please feel free to send more videos should you wish to show us more of your skills. The more videos you send the more insight we’re given, the videos don’t have to be professional or polished so don’t worry, they are simply for us to get a better idea of what skills you and your dog possess.

In a few weeks’ time we hope to start auditioning, and we’d really like to audition you. We’re currently organising our audition locations at the moment (we hope to visit a few different locations around the country) so we may ask you to travel to see us at the nearest location to you.

Whilst we are arranging the auditions however, we’d love for you to send your videos to us as soon as possible.

Examples of videos we would like to see to demonstrate the dogs skills:

· retrieval (using commands/from a distance/with a toy)

· obedience (sit/stay/left/right etc)

· Scent work (hide & seek game/finding item or person)

· Swimming (this could include water retrieval/jumping into water)

· Agility (if possible a video of you doing the full course would be great)

· Other – this could include a video of them ‘working’ or another skill they have such as jumping, herding etc.

I look forward to hearing from you,

Kind Regards,

Davinia

Assistant Producer

MC5D4, Media Centre, 201 Wood Lane, London W12 7TQ

0208 008 5426

• Options
    Those that will be at Sparrows lane next Saturday if I could ask someone to wave my Camera about and take a few photos for me, it is pretty difficult to keep an eye on Bailey through a lens. Normal time around 1.00pm until 2.30ish although we will be there earlier to speak to the trust. Bailey has an audition for the BBC's sport relief programme on Saturday morning after confirmation them that they didn't want performing dogs (circus style) they wanted dogs working. Baileys agent was quick to quash rumours that he will be cast as Danny Dyers dog in Eastenders, saying doesn't want to be typecast as a "Wellard Wannabee" ;)
  • Options
    We'll take our Nikons with us, one with a portrait lens, the other with a 50-200. Will that cover what you need?