Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Holiday camp recommendations

I'm hoping you lot might know some decent UK holiday camps/lodges etc, to give us ideas for holidays that we might not have thought of/save me going through the whole of Google.

Looking to go for a week or so next summer (early July) with the Mrs and little 'un, who'll be about 1 by then, thinking of either a nice holiday home to rent or a holiday camp so we can take our daughter swimming.

Max of about 4 hrs away from Canterbury (wouldn't mind UK or abroad), as she might not be brilliant on long journeys, with a few places to go and sightsee, a nice pub or two etc. Hoping not to spend more than about £500 on the accommodation.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Sandy balls , new forest mate .
  • Sandy balls in the new forrest. Might be a bit more than 500 but well worth it.
  • That's a wind up surely GHE?
  • That's a wind up surely GHE?

It should be but nope , it's for real
    . It's actually our resident Sid James's fav place . Isn't that right mr mehmet ?

• Great place mate. My little one still asks me when are we going to meet up with you and the girls again!
  • Check out keycamps/Eurocamp. Some decent looking sites a few hours from calais.
    Went this summer and highly recommend.
  • Sandy Balls from me as well, been there for Christmas twice in one of the log cabins, great place.
  • So Sandy balls then?! My only issue with a place like that is we might in effect be paying for activities we won't use given we'll have a one year old is tow, and she won't either given she's a few years too young?
  • Would be interested in any other similar recommendations.
  • Check out the web site and base your decision on that. Its a lovely part of the world but I know what you are saying, no point in paying for horse riding, archery and falconry with a 1 year old.
  • Sponsored links:

• Check out the web site and base your decision on that. Its a lovely part of the world but I know what you are saying, no point in paying for horse riding, archery and falconry with a 1 year old.

Yeah, exactly that - in a few year's time that would be fantastic, but for now I think it'll be indoor pool, play area, maybe a zoo nearby....
  • We really like Church Farm which is a Haven resort in Pagham, Sussex. Lots to do and staff are lovely.
  • We went to a place called vauxhall holiday park in great Yarmouth this summer and it was fantastic. Great value and brilliant for kids. Loads to do on site and lots of great places to visit within 30 mins drive. I would strongly recommend it. Good evening entertainment too, the kids shows were terrific. Ours were 7 months and 4 at the time and it was terrific. We're going back this year!
  • Centre Parcs in Suffolk was quite good fun with a two year old recently. Whatever you do don't go during the school holidays! Good family fun, but not the cheapest holiday.
  • mart77 said:

We really like Church Farm which is a Haven resort in Pagham, Sussex. Lots to do and staff are lovely.

Would highly recommend this. Very different to your usual Haven, very peaceful but still have the evening entertainment if that is your thing
  • Do you want near/next to the sea Neil? I live up in Norfolk and there are plenty of good value parks/camps that will meet your budget and requirements. Haven's Hopton Holiday Village (in between Gt Yarmouth and Lowestoft) is a real result. Nice static mobile homes, nice indoor and outdoor pool with slide for little un, literally right on the beach, lively club with entertainment for all ages, take-aways and pub all within a stroll, 9 hole golf course as well as crazy golf both on sight, amusements etc etc.

We discovered it years ago via The Sun's cheap deals and ever since have used it for short breaks. To get an even better deal, book a home privately as opposed to going through Haven, just google it. As well as having the sea on your door step, if you fancy a day out you have got Norwich, Pleasurewoood Hills and the Broads all nearby as well.

You won't be disappointed my friend.
  • edited October 2013
    Cheers for the recommendations, will check them all out.

We'll be avoiding the school holidays, should be going first week of July, and being near the sea isn't a must but would definitely be a bonus!
  • Is it Sandy Balls that's next door to Ford Open Prison? Haven't been there since I was a kid, but loved it then.

Went to Rockleigh Park a couple of years ago. That was very good.
  • I would recommend booking privately too. The owners tend to take more pride in their home and leave the vans / chalets much better stocked with all home comforts. Our one in Cornwall was 200 cheaper than The resort were charging for same site at same time.
  • Stig said:

Is it Sandy Balls that's next door to Ford Open Prison? Haven't been there since I was a kid, but loved it then.

Went to Rockleigh Park a couple of years ago. That was very good.

Went to Rockley Park every year as a kid - my Nan and Grandad lived in Poole so we'd have aa family Easter break with them and my cousins too, good memories!
  • Sponsored links:

• Curb_It said:

I would recommend booking privately too. The owners tend to take more pride in their home and leave the vans / chalets much better stocked with all home comforts. Our one in Cornwall was 200 cheaper than The resort were charging for same site at same time.

Absolutely bang on mate. Booked privately at Hopton for a short notice long weekend break in summer peak season. Cost me only £200 (plus a few extra quid for the entertainment passes), the mobile home was in a cul-de-sac part of the site next to the 9 hole golf course, and the interior was stunning.

• Do you want near/next to the sea Neil? I live up in Norfolk and there are plenty of good value parks/camps that will meet your budget and requirements. Haven's Hopton Holiday Village (in between Gt Yarmouth and Lowestoft) is a real result. Nice static mobile homes, nice indoor and outdoor pool with slide for little un, literally right on the beach, lively club with entertainment for all ages, take-aways and pub all within a stroll, 9 hole golf course as well as crazy golf both on sight, amusements etc etc.

We discovered it years ago via The Sun's cheap deals and ever since have used it for short breaks. To get an even better deal, book a home privately as opposed to going through Haven, just google it. As well as having the sea on your door step, if you fancy a day out you have got Norwich, Pleasurewoood Hills and the Broads all nearby as well.

You won't be disappointed my friend.

Hopton Haven is brilliant, we discovered it about 6 years ago and have been going back every year. Loads to do and see as mentioned in this post and you also have 2 animal parks. Petits Farm is great for kids as they get to feed some of the animals and there is Africa Alive as well with lions, tigers,etc. Pleasurewood Hills is fantastic value as you never really have to queue for long to get on the best rides apart from the big rollercoasters.

• edited October 2013
    I agree with the Norfolk and Sandy Balls recommendations. I would add in places like Chideock campsite right next to Golden Cap where you can hire mobile homes which overlook the Jurassic Coast. Freedom galore, endless good walking, fossil hunting, good pub next to campsite.
  • Isle of Wight is good if you've got kids, plenty of lovely beaches and lots of indoor activities for when the British weather hits. Not sure of parks exactly, but Rookley is really nice. Set around a lake where you can go fishing, lovely bar/restaurant on site. And being the Isle of Wight, it's really easy to get anywhere as the place is tiny!
  • Anyone stayed at caravan park between Dymchurch and Romney called Marlie Holiday Park?

Any feedback ?
  • Not been to that one but took my daughter to the one in Dymchurch run by the same company, wasn't impressed to be honest. The Romney sands camp up the road is better imo.
  • Bunn leisure selsey us the best I've been to doing the bdo tour in the uk we do a lot of camps during the year but this one wins for me hands down back there in sept for the england masters great weekends away with a 8 berth van for about 270 for friday to monday 320 for friday to friday
  • Anyone stayed at caravan park between Dymchurch and Romney called Marlie Holiday Park?

Any feedback ?

In-laws booked 5 days there with our daughter a couple years ago. They bailed out after 3 nights.

Its a dump and the "entertainment" was laughable apparently.

My daughter said it was rubbish and this was coming from a child who aged 5-6 used like Pontins entertainment!!!

• Hmmm. Cheers Clem