Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Ath vs Wigan Ath | Sun 27th Oct 2013 | Match Preview, Teams, Predictions, News & Views

Introduction

This Sunday sees The Valley play hosts to the current FA-Cup holders something that hasn’t happened since our Premier League days. However, when you think of ‘FA-Cup holders’, you don’t think of Wigan Athletic who to be fair, fully deserved their 1-0 victory over Manchester City last summer.

The fixture comes at a good time for Charlton as Chris Powell’s men are unbeaten in three games and won their first game in seven fixtures last weekend. So the Addicks will be looking to pounce upon a Wigan side that hasn’t scored away from home since the very first game of the season away at Barnsley.

The Opposition

Things have changed for the Wigan since last summer especially with the Latics being relegated to the Championship and losing their influential manager in Roberto Martinez to Everton.

Since the departure of Martinez, Wigan brought in ex-Bolton boss Owen Coyle who has had a steady start with the Latics currently in 13th place in the Championship with two games in hand over the teams above them in the table, due to Europa League commitments.

While Wigan may not be shining in the Championship, they have been impressing in the Europa League and currently find themselves 2nd in Group D behind top spot Rubin Kazan who they face on Thursday.

Despite getting relegated from the Premier League, Wigan managed to keep hold of a lot of top talent such as Shaun Maloney (who is out of Sunday’s fixture) and Callum McManaman as well as adding to the squad with the likes of Grant Holt and on-loan Man Utd striker Nick Powell.

Player to Watch

The player to watch this weekend is Wigan’s on-loan star Nick Powell. Powell has been very impressive since his deadline day loan move from Man Utd and has already scored three goals since joining Owen Coyle's side. The 19-year-old has a great long-range strike on him and is capable of some exquisite skills as this YouTube clip shows:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HB3u6I-rSuE

The Line –Up

After the victory away at Blackburn last weekend, I expect Chris Powell to make limited changes this weekend after the return to a 4-4-2 formation worked well.

One or two changes that Powell could make is returning Yann Kermorgant up-front and possibly returning skipper Johnnie Jackson back into the midfield.

However with Chris Solly still out through injury, the back-four should remain the same especially after getting back-to-back clean sheets for the first time this season.

The midfield four of Bradley Pritchard, Dale Stephens, Jordan Cousins and Cameron Stewart impressed against Blackburn so the decision on who should be replaced for Johnnie Jackson will be a tough one for Powell so I wouldn’t be shocked to see Jackson keep his spot on the bench.

Striker Simon Church will be full of confidence after his goal for Wales during the International break and his winner against Blackburn last weekend. On the other hand, on-loan striker Marvin Sordell will probably be dropped despite his decent display last weekend for the returning Kermorgant.

The Prediction

With a Charlton side in a lot of confidence against a Wigan side who may tire after their Europa League match this week I can see the Addicks winning this. 2-1 to the home side.

Comments

• Options
    Comfortable home win 4-0.
  • Options
    2 - 2. Agree with the line up but with Camerling on the bench after signing a rolling monthly contract.
  • Options
    The impressive thing about Saturday was that all of the combinations worked. Wood / Morrison easily contained the Blackburn Front Two; Wilson/ Pritchard closed down their main threat in Josh King; Wiggins/Stewart on the left were comfortable in defensive play and caused problems going forward; the front two complimented each other well with Sordell dropping off to collect passes to feet and Church running in behind; and the real success was the central midfield partnership with Cousins providing defensive cover allowing Stephens the time, space and opportunity to play.

I'd be inclined to stay with 4-4-2 and perhaps bring in Kermorgant for Sordell. The old adage of "never change a winning team" is also worth considering.

However, Wigan finished the game at Blackpool in a 4-3-3 system, (I only saw the last 20 mins on the tv in the away end at Blackburn, so not sure if they started 4-3-3). So CP could change to match up and play Kermorgant-Church-Sordell as a three.

Wigan are on the box tomorrow night v Rubin Kazan, we can all have a good look at them. (jot down their formation and then write in our 4-4-2 formation to look at the individual match-ups and then look at where the space will be on the pitch).
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    I went for 0-10 on Saturday. Using the same mathematical formula, I predict 20-0 home win.
  • Options
    Tutt-Tutt said:

The impressive thing about Saturday was that all of the combinations worked. Wood / Morrison easily contained the Blackburn Front Two; Wilson/ Pritchard closed down their main threat in Josh King; Wiggins/Stewart on the left were comfortable in defensive play and caused problems going forward; the front two complimented each other well with Sordell dropping off to collect passes to feet and Church running in behind; and the real success was the central midfield partnership with Cousins providing defensive cover allowing Stephens the time, space and opportunity to play.

I'd be inclined to stay with 4-4-2 and perhaps bring in Kermorgant for Sordell. The old adage of "never change a winning team" is also worth considering.

However, Wigan finished the game at Blackpool in a 4-3-3 system, (I only saw the last 20 mins on the tv in the away end at Blackburn, so not sure if they started 4-3-3). So CP could change to match up and play Kermorgant-Church-Sordell as a three.

Wigan are on the box tomorrow night v Rubin Kazan, we can all have a good look at them. (jot down their formation and then write in our 4-4-2 formation to look at the individual match-ups and then look at where the space will be on the pitch).

Why? Are we sending our notes to Powell?

Have they be putting out their first team in these matches?

Kazan will give them a good test. This side beat Barcelona not so long ago remember.
  • Options
    Tutt-Tutt said:

I do like a little bit of homework! Will try to catch the game if possible.

Although we are buoyant from recent results we will not take anything for granted. Wigan are a decent side and even having played a game a couple of days beforehand it will take guile to break them down, something we don't show a lot of in home games. Will the curse of the £5 game also prey upon the team.

I see a tight game but one we should just shave 2-1. But let's see what happens after their game tomorrow.
  • Options
    Does anyone know how many tickets have been sold for this one?
  • Options
    more than happy to take a point from wigwam

1-1
  • Options
    23k baying Addicks again disappointed. 0 - 1
  • Options
    2-0 regulation home win. Goal in each half. Worst away turnout for football for a fiver (and probably home too).
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    2-0 to CP's Red & White Army
  • Options
    I predict that if it keeps raining, we won't play!
  • Options
    Get the boats ready lol
  • Options
    We win 2-1.
  • Options
    Football for £6 promotion = disaster.

I'll take a point now.
  • Options
    Are Wigan away midweek?
  • Options
    They are playing at home tonight in the Europa League against Rubin Kazan.
  • Options
    Heard quoted last week on sky they havent scored an away goal for 6 matches, cant be bothered to check whether thats right. Hope that doesnt change and its a lucky seven for them
  • Options
    We will win 2-1 COYR
  • Options
    E-cafc said:

They are playing at home tonight in the Europa League against Rubin Kazan.

Shame it isn't an away game for them. Kazan is a hell of a journey.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Heard quoted last week on sky they havent scored an away goal for 6 matches, cant be bothered to check whether thats right. Hope that doesnt change and its a lucky seven for them

Scored 4 on the opening day but since then have failed to score at Bournemouth, Leicester, Zulte Waregem, Man City, Watford and Blackpool
  • Options
    Unchanged team (give Kermorgant more recovery time)

CAFC 2 v Wigan Athletic 0
  • Options
    McClean has had his ban overturned and will be available for them
  • Options

Having been educated by Airman on the potential commercial benefits to the club of "footy for a five" (or sixer) I am bringing brother and mate and will be urging them both to purchase season tickets, beer and club memorabilia at half time.

Still expect the scheme to be usual kiss of death on the performance though and we will lose 0-2.
  • Options

If there is one team on the whole football league you want to play to break any kind of hoodoo, it's us!
  • Options
    2-0 home win
  • Options
    Nice to see the camraderie there in the Pritchard/Evina clip! To be fair, Pritch's shirt is a little bit nasty!
  • Options
    Well one thing is for sure - the Wigan manager won't have a blooming clue what formation Chris Powell is going to start with.

First 3 games of the season were 4-4-2, then 4 games with the 3-5-2 formation, a trip to Burnley with a 4-4-1-1 line up (Stephens playing off the striker), then 2 home games with a diamond formation (although the Forest game looked more like 4-3-1-2 to me) and then back to good old 4-4-2 last Saturday.

Confused? Then think how the Wigan manager must be trying to work out what formation we will be starting with on Sunday. (Let's do a West Ham 4-6-0 and really confuse them!)
  • Options
    1-0 home win, church header, up in the west bracing myself for a few kids in other teams shirts.