Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Windows 8.1 - Anyone Upgraded?

Is it worth it? Lots of positive reviews but don't know if I want to spend the money.

Comments

• Upgrade to windows 7. Much cheaper and better value...
  • it's free for windows 8 users
  • That'll teach me not to read the link properly! Thought they were charging me for it.
  • A patch-up fix for this mobile phone technology that should never have been installed on laptops.
  • Stick to Windows 7 - much better
  • Microsoft have made a fortune of foisting under tested software on the public to bench test for them out in the real world.

Great concepts and products just shockingly written and integrated into the core o/s.

Biased old school IT head says Microsoft is the Devil...

;0)
  • Worst thing I ever done was upgrading to Windows 8. Absolutely hate it and still struggle to do simple tasks without the bloody start button.
  • did the upgrade from 8 to 8.1 last night. Seems OK so far.

It's really designed for touchscreen users rather than traditional PCs

I think that's right. On a traditional laptop it's an absolute bucket of shit.

Can't find how to do it for free. Whatever routeI take through the Microsoft Store it tries to charge me 99.99.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited October 2013

did the upgrade from 8 to 8.1 last night. Seems OK so far.

Can't find how to do it for free. Whatever routeI take through the Microsoft Store it tries to charge me 99.99.
    I've been fiddling with a laptop on and off today, and had the same problem. When I found the appropriate small print, there is a windows update you need to install before it allows you to download 8.1.It's KB2871389 you should get it through a normal windows update routine. You have to reboot after installing it, then go to windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/buy and follow the link. Its about 3.8 GB so it takes a while.

• Microsoft have made a fortune of foisting under tested software on the public to bench test for them out in the real world.

Great concepts and products just shockingly written and integrated into the core o/s.

;0)

This is true - and working with MS shite day in day out I agree wholeheartedly. However, I'd point out here that every other vendor does exactly the same thing - using their customers as beta testers of new versions of their products. Apple are just as bad at this, if not worse - and don't get me started on security vendors.

I've been fiddling with a laptop on and off today, and had the same problem. When I found the appropriate small print, there is a windows update you need to install before it allows you to download 8.1.It's KB2871389 you should get it through a normal windows update routine. You have to reboot after installing it, then go to windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/buy and follow the link. Its about 3.8 GB so it takes a while.

Cheers. I've got updates pending so will run them and try again.

;0)

This is true - and working with MS shite day in day out I agree wholeheartedly. However, I'd point out here that every other vendor does exactly the same thing - using their customers as beta testers of new versions of their products. Apple are just as bad at this, if not worse - and don't get me started on security vendors.
    Oh for the days of Digitals OpenVMS. Fully compiled and integrated o/s, wipes tear from eye... ;0)
  • I'm looking to get a new PC as mine is very much on it's last legs after a good few years. Really not sure about Windows 8 though as have been reading up on it a bit. Is it still possible to get a new PC with 7?

;0)

Oh for the days of Digitals OpenVMS. Fully compiled and integrated o/s, wipes tear from eye... ;0)
    Unbelievably we are still running our ERP on the VMS platform, but moving to Microsoft Dynamics AX.