Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Money grabbing politicians

How can anyone be bothered to claim 3p?
Former cabinet minister Liam Fox successfully claimed 3p of taxpayers' money for a car journey of about 100 metres, expenses documents show.

Mr Fox's office made the claim after he travelled a distance recorded as 0.06 miles in October 2012.

He had visited a concrete firm before heading within his north Somerset base to a constituency surgery in Yatton.

The ex-defence secretary made another 15 claims of under £1 for car travel approved in 2012-13, the files showed.

These included 24p for a 0.54-mile journey from a constituency surgery to a school competition in Clevedon, and 44p for a 0.98-mile journey from a local politics event at Winford Manor to Winford School.

Under the current system, MPs can claim 45p per mile.

MPs claimed a total of £23m in personal expenses in the year to April.

'According to rules'
Paperwork from the Independent Parliamentary Standards Authority (Ipsa) shows Mr Fox claimed £3,866.31 in travel expenses - including rail fares - in the last financial year.

The claim for the car journey to Yatton was paid last December, according to the notes.

Mr Fox told the Sunday People: "I don't do my expenses. My office does them. But they are all done according to the rules for travel distances."

Last year, the Conservative MP had to repay £3,000 of expenses after it was found he had allowed his friend Adam Werritty to live at his taxpayer-funded second home for a year rent-free.

He was also criticised for allowing their Atlantic Bridge think tank to be run from his parliamentary offices.

Mr Fox resigned from his cabinet position in October 2011 over his relationship with Mr Werritty.

Comments

• Options
    How many MP`s are there? About 600 or so? £23 million is a hell of a lot of money to be claimed in expenses(nothing to do with salaries). Mind you , what do we expect? They actually claim more in expenses now than they did before the expenses scandal was first discovered, work that one out!
  • Options
    You'll probably find that he has a tracker in his car, which in turn means that the distance will be exportable into an excel file, which in turn means that his staff will automatically turn it in.

On top of that, there's no reason that should be coming out of his own pocket.

Quite frankly I think some people love demonising these people so much, personally I think if he is that keen on watching the pennies he should be working in the treasury.
  • Options
    Huskaris said:

For a distance of 0.06 miles there's no reason why it should be coming out of anyone's pocket! Walk it, you lazy fucker!!

• Options
    Rizzo said:

Huskaris said:

For a distance of 0.06 miles there's no reason why it should be coming out of anyone's pocket! Walk it, you lazy fucker!!

THIS, or ride a bike
  • Options
    Rizzo said:

Huskaris said:

Haha now that is undoubtedly true!
  • Options
    He'd probably claim expenses for wear and tear on his shoes anyway.
  • Options
    Rizzo said:

Huskaris said:

Magic comment
  • Options
    It's my experience that the higher a person's position and the larger their salary, the more they are absolutely keen to claim every single penny allowed to them by way of perks and expenses. Perhaps this type of penny wise mentality got them to the most 'prestigious posts' in the first place
  • Options
    E-cafc said:

How many MP`s are there? About 600 or so? £23 million is a hell of a lot of money to be claimed in expenses(nothing to do with salaries). Mind you , what do we expect? They actually claim more in expenses now than they did before the expenses scandal was first discovered, work that one out!

Is that true ! More claimed now ? I would like to see the figures on that.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2013

E-cafc said:

Is that true ! More claimed now ? I would like to see the figures on that.
    It's not, although that's how it's being reported. According to the article by E-cafc, it was £27m in 08-09. The scandal brike in June 2009. The figure for 09-10 was £20.4m. Last year it was £23.8m

So higher than in the year that the scandal broke, lower than the year before it broke.

• Options
    Could we cope with a lot less MP'S in this country?
  • Options

I'm fairly sure I could.

• Options

How can anyone be bothered to claim 3p?

Former cabinet minister Liam Fox successfully claimed 3p of taxpayers' money for a car journey of about 100 metres, expenses documents show.

Mr Fox's office made the claim after he travelled a distance recorded as 0.06 miles in October 2012.

He had visited a concrete firm before heading within his north Somerset base to a constituency surgery in Yatton.
    The ex-defence secretary made another 15 claims of under £1 for car travel approved in 2012-13, the files showed.

These included 24p for a 0.54-mile journey from a constituency surgery to a school competition in Clevedon, and 44p for a 0.98-mile journey from a local politics event at Winford Manor to Winford School.

Under the current system, MPs can claim 45p per mile.

MPs claimed a total of £23m in personal expenses in the year to April.

'According to rules'
    Paperwork from the Independent Parliamentary Standards Authority (Ipsa) shows Mr Fox claimed £3,866.31 in travel expenses - including rail fares - in the last financial year.

The claim for the car journey to Yatton was paid last December, according to the notes.

Mr Fox told the Sunday People: "I don't do my expenses. My office does them. But they are all done according to the rules for travel distances."

Last year, the Conservative MP had to repay £3,000 of expenses after it was found he had allowed his friend Adam Werritty to live at his taxpayer-funded second home for a year rent-free.

He was also criticised for allowing their Atlantic Bridge think tank to be run from his parliamentary offices.

Mr Fox resigned from his cabinet position in October 2011 over his relationship with Mr Werritty.
    he had already made one journey, then this was on to the next destination.
    the distance travelled would have been recorded individually for each 'trip', and then if he had gone on to another meeting 100 miles away that would have been recorded as another separate entry.

• Options

Apparently there are 650 MP's in Parliament, this was due to be reduced to 600 following this term and boundary changes but this will not happen. This figure has fluctuated over the years but the lowest this century is 615 (1922 - 1945) and the highest 707.

There is a strong argument that the number should be dropped significantly as parliaments responsibilities have in fact reduced, for instance Wales and Scotland and N Ireland have their own assemblies, whilst we have also ceded powers to Brussels as part of the European Union. the argument therefore is that there is no longer the work load to keep 600 plus MP's occupied. Of course, work can always be found or made up.
  • Options
    I think we could all imagine the right royal kick off in regard to the constituency boundary changes required to lose 50 odd seats. The argument would last far longer than any 5 year parliament, just don't see how the vested interests on all sides would let it happen.

Probably be quicker to redesign the whole electoral system.
  • Options
    We're all in it together people.
  • Options

I thought it was You're all in it together

• Options
    Kap10 said:

I thought it was You're all in it together

Yep, you're right Kap. Think Cameron's full proclamation was 'You're all in it together. . . . whilst us politicians continue to suckle on the teat of greed'.
  • Options
    Boundary changes happen all the time, so it should be possible to reduce the number of MPs.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2013
    Saga Lout said:

Boundary changes happen all the time, so it should be possible to reduce the number of MPs.

Really? Saw a piece (if someone could clarify I'd be happy to be corrected of course...) that asserted it would be very complicated due to how voting is broken down in this country geographically, IE; lots of northern industrial constituencies more likely to vote Labour etc, means Labour aren't keen etc. It's an interesting subject especially as we have definitely moved into an era of no massive majorities and/or hung parliaments. I think we all agree even on here that the current lot red/yellow/blue are just after themselves.
  • Options

We will have if the Sweaties go their own way.

• Options
    My sister-in-law earns more than an MP, and claims expenses, and only works a 35 hour week, and she's home every night, and she has every weekend off...lets start a thread about computer programmers, who needs them eh!
  • Options

...lets start a thread about computer programmers, who needs them eh!

Microsoft?
  • Options

Saga Lout said:

Really? Saw a piece (if someone could clarify I'd be happy to be corrected of course...) that asserted it would be very complicated due to how voting is broken down in this country geographically, IE; lots of northern industrial constituencies more likely to vote Labour etc, means Labour aren't keen etc. It's an interesting subject especially as we have definitely moved into an era of no massive majorities and/or hung parliaments. I think we all agree even on here that the current lot red/yellow/blue are just after themselves.
    I believe it is normally done based on the number of voters in a constituency, although it's not quite that simple. ;-)

And, yes the parties will argue if they think they'll lose out.
  • Options

My sister-in-law earns more than an MP, and claims expenses, and only works a 35 hour week, and she's home every night, and she has every weekend off...lets start a thread about computer programmers, who needs them eh!

Boo to them too. In fact, boo to anyone who earns more than me.
  • Options
    Well said maybe baby

Expenses scams happen every day in many many industries

But hey let's have another yawn thread at those nasty Tories, surprised the mail hasn't got a mention yet zzzzzz

• Options
    It's not just the Tories - they're all at it!!!
  • Options
    Some interesting points, but I wonder who here among us would claim 3p?
  • Options
    He should've gone the long way round, had it been £100 this wouldn't be a story which is the sad thing.