Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Heaney

Comments

• Options
    surprised to see that Heaney only played a half dozen games for us. He achieved hero status in a very short CAFC career
    Heaney a hero ?
    I don't think so.
    90% plus of Charlton fans wouldn't even have heard of him.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    I reckon Heaney could turn up Saturday and sit in the East Stand & there's a reasonable chance no one would even recognize him.
    I doubt I would and I've only missed 6 home games in 47 years, plus the majority of the aways.

(I just looked him up and yep I doubt anyone would recognise our hero).
  • Options
    I remember Heaney being an old school dribbling winger who was good at cutting into the box and winning penalties.
  • Options
    Heard Heaney enjoyed the poty event that season
  • Options
    surprised to see that Heaney only played a half dozen games for us. He achieved hero status in a very short CAFC career
    Heaney a hero ?
    I don't think so.
    90% plus? You've got to be kidding. Anyone with any interest in the playoff final would've heard of him. 
  • Options
    I thought this story was common knowledge, I remember singing about it when we played spurs a few seasons later. 

The jaw incident, not @Leroy Ambrose wonderful tale.

My favourite Heany memories where him and Eddie Youds in the toilets at the POTY do and the pair of pens he won against Tranmere (I think). 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2020
    Talal said:
    Heaney a hero ?
    I don't think so.
    90% plus? You've got to be kidding. Anyone with any interest in the playoff final would've heard of him. 
    Quite right. I worded it badly.
    I really meant a large percentage would have to have a think who he was.

If you asked fans to name the play off team I reckon he would be the least or one of the least memorable.

Anyway, my point is he is not a Charlton hero.
    To me they are Hales, Bent, Mendonca, Kinsella etc.
    I don't think there will be a Neil Heaney statue outside the ground any time soon.
    In fact I could probably name hundreds before i'd get to Neil (6 appearances) Heaney.

Anyway, just my opinion, I'm more than happy if anyone has Heaney as their Charlton hero.
  • Options
    Hero, perhaps. Legend certainly not
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Heaney was a hero to me, but wouldn't recognise him if he walked past me in the street. Surprised we didn't sign him for next season, and his time with us was probably the highlight of his career. But thank you.
  • Options
    I've supported Charlton since the mid sixties and remember being very pleased (as our stock rose in the 90s) to being compared to Ipswich Town and Norwich City by someone on our board ... possibly Varney?

They were always a bit ahead of us in terms of size, support and success, but we had most definitely caught up and it felt good.  Anyway that comparison has always stuck with me, I still cast an eye to those two clubs and note we currently divide the two in terms of status.  

• Options
    rina said:
    Ipswich manager demanded Curbs to drop heaney for the second leg as Tarrico couldn't play.

Curbs refused.

Mills could have mentioned the bust up at Sparrows Lane with Shaun Newton when Mills used the N word. Must have slipped his mind.
    Why couldn't Tarrico play? I ask because I'm sure the version told by Eddie Youds was that Curbs, having seen the cctv, went to see George Burley and Tarrico and made it very clear that he did not expect to see him playing in the 2nd leg. However I was quite drunk when told the story so may have mixed it up
    Tarrico did play in that 2nd leg
    oh god, you're right, that really confuses the stories
  • Options
    Ah yes. Taricco. Proper c**t of a human being. Basically, I sat right on the touchline for some reason in the playoff semi at home (don't think I could get a ticket anywhere else) and absolutely rinsed him in Spanish all game every time he came to take a throw in. Had to explain the choicest insults to everyone sitting near me - which made everyone laugh and really got him wound up. Started out small (gilipollas, hijo de puta, cabrón etc) and then got a bit nastier (puta madre, coño etc) before graduating to some right choice ones - culminating with 'me cago en tu madre' (I shit on your mother). He went f***ing spare, I swear I thought he was going to climb over the ball boy and hoarding and lamp me. Worked though - he had a mare. 
    He took a lot of throws in front of you
  • Options
    cabbles said:
    Ah yes. Taricco. Proper c**t of a human being. Basically, I sat right on the touchline for some reason in the playoff semi at home (don't think I could get a ticket anywhere else) and absolutely rinsed him in Spanish all game every time he came to take a throw in. Had to explain the choicest insults to everyone sitting near me - which made everyone laugh and really got him wound up. Started out small (gilipollas, hijo de puta, cabrón etc) and then got a bit nastier (puta madre, coño etc) before graduating to some right choice ones - culminating with 'me cago en tu madre' (I shit on your mother). He went f***ing spare, I swear I thought he was going to climb over the ball boy and hoarding and lamp me. Worked though - he had a mare. 
    Love this.  Ipswich were such a good team around then.  We played them 6 times that season.  2 league cup ties, 2 league games and the 2 play off games.  I was 15 and then turned 16 during the 97/98 season.  I had never seen us promoted as I was 3 going on 4 in the 85/86 season, so I only ever knew of us as a struggling old first division team, and then a mid table first division team.

the 95/96 season started well, but we only just scraped into the play offs before being well beaten by Palace really.  There were so many games back then where we would play stronger teams than us like Wolves, Leicester, Palace, Middlesbrough, Sunderland, Derby & Bolton, and I’d never even thought going up was on the cards, unaware of what Curbs was building.  

Ipswich to me were just a team I always felt had the better of us, even though we won there 5-1.  It’s great to read of this sort of thing as a nervous teenager as I was back then.  Getting to the ground that night, taking my seat in the open redeveloped west, almost dropping my guts when I heard Mendonca wasn’t playing.  Such a narrow lead from the first leg, my only memory of the play offs being the fizzled out non event 2 years prior.  In hindsight we had a f’n superb team, but as a know nothing teenager, yet to taste the pure ecstasy of seeing your team genuinely compete, I was a wreck going into it 

compare it to last year and being 36 going on 37, when you’ve had 30 years of watching your team, although I was just as nervous, I was nervous for different reasons, pertaining to the long term future of the club under RD if we hadn’t have gone up.  Footballing wise, I felt far more confident going into last year than I did 98.  I think it’s definitely an age thing, but also, imo, there was far less to choose between us, Ipswich, Sheff Utd and Sunderland in 98, than there was last year between us, Pompey, Doncaster and Sunderland.

very, very pleased to know Leroy was doing his bit to throw Tarrico off his game :-):smile:
    Anyone know why?

I always say '94 was when I became a Charlton supporter and attended games, but it was Play-Off Final that year that made me into the fan I am today...

Always thought that Mendonca barely missed a game that season, certainly didn't realise he missed such an important game only to return in spectacular fashion against Sunderland
  • Options
    Heaney a hero ?
    I don't think so.
    Wont be surprised if Josh Parker shares a similar fate one day

Joined us earlier in the season so naturally played more games for us than Heaney - But if there is ever a Quiz in years to come asking people to name our starting eleven, reckon nine times out of ten he'll be the one that people may struggle to remember

Then again it was Parker who won us the free-kick that won the game so maybe not!!
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Talal said:
    Heaney a hero ?
    I don't think so.
    Quite right. I worded it badly.
    I really meant a large percentage would have to have a think who he was.

If you asked fans to name the play off team I reckon he would be the least or one of the least memorable.

Anyway, my point is he is not a Charlton hero.
    To me they are Hales, Bent, Mendonca, Kinsella etc.
    I don't think there will be a Neil Heaney statue outside the ground any time soon.
    In fact I could probably name hundreds before i'd get to Neil (6 appearances) Heaney.

Anyway, just my opinion, I'm more than happy if anyone has Heaney as their Charlton hero.
    spot on, if I was asked to name the 98 play off team I wouldn't even have thought of him....admittedly I spent most of the day/week smashed
  • Options
    He took a lot of throws in front of you
    Yeah - that tends to happen when you're a full back... 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Heaney was class in those 6 games he played... all hero’s that day!!
  • Options
    Heaney a hero ?
    I don't think so.

Joined us earlier in the season so naturally played more games for us than Heaney - But if there is ever a Quiz in years to come asking people to name our starting eleven, reckon nine times out of ten he'll be the one that people may struggle to remember

Then again it was Parker who won us the free-kick that won the game so maybe not!!
    Quire right, Josh Parker is a proper hero.
    My bedroom is adorned with Josh Parker paraphernalia.

I moved all the Heaney stuff to the toilet.

Proper heroes :-)
  • Options
    Neil Heaney is very much there in the large black and white photo of the players celebrating the play-off victory in 98. He was a bit player in red and white but did his job and got his winners medal. 
  • Options
    Back of the Covered End....
  • Options
    Heaney a hero ?
    I don't think so.

at your age I'd'a thought you would be just a bit too old to have football pictures/posters adorning your bedroom walls .. what does your Mrs think about it ?
  • Options
    Heaney a hero ?
    I don't think so.

at your age I'd'a thought you would be just a bit too old to have football pictures/posters adorning your bedroom walls .. what does your Mrs think about it ?
    I was joking about Heaney & Parker.

It's Clive Mendonca.
  • Options
    Heaney a hero ?
    I don't think so.

I was joking about Heaney & Parker.

It's Clive Mendonca.
    great choice ((:>)
  • Options
    Huge hero of mine. I'd probably say I'm more a Neil Heaney fan than Charlton fan if truth be told. 

In fact I was never into football before Neil Heaney arrived in the game and not at all into Charlton until he signed. I've never quite felt the same about the club since he left and still believe we are poorer for his absence on so many levels.

Wembley in May last year was great as were the premier league years and Powell's promotion season but it's never had the same gravitas or emotional impact on me as when "ol' Heaners" was out there strutting his stuff.

I still keep a tear- filled eye open for him as the team runs out before at The Valley before each game just in case he's re-signed.

I'll never give up hope.
    i hope he reads that and punches you down a flight of stairs