Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Keith Jones

Interesting article about Paul Canoville on bbc website. Pat Nevin mentions Keith.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23811929

Football and society has moved a long way forward thankfully.

Comments

• Options
    Legend.
  • Options
    The Canoville book is quite an eye opener. Good read though.
  • Options
    I remember going to Portsmouth in the mid nineties and Keith played but went off injured. My mates and I got back to Fratton station at about 20.00 (post match review in a number of pubs) and Keith was there in his tracksuit. He had been to hospital and Charlton had left him to make his own way home. He was good company on the train. Big game for us in the play-off final as well.
  • Options
    Massively underrated for us.
  • Options
    The Sidewinder! Nice winner for us against Liverpool in the first season up. Typical Curbs signing, hard worker, not too flash, real team player.
  • Options
    Really rated him, did a great job for us.
  • Options
    edited September 2013

This. Him and Kinsella really clicked together in the middle of the park. It was a real shame that Curbs broke up that partnership the first season in the prem (98/99) by dropping Keith for Redfern. Felt after playing such an important role alongside Kins that he deserved a crack in the prem that season.

Plus he was a really top fella. Him and his lovely wife were on me and my mates table at the POTY do prior to the play off final in 98. Fantastic couple. Now coaches out in the USA.

Thinking back what a great time that was supporting Charlton then.........
  • Options
    bumped into him when orient beat us 1-0 at there place while we were in league 1. Top bloke
  • Options
    Gets in my all time favourite 11 for attitude alone. Always showed for the ball and was technically sound. He also tackled with full commitment. He would have loved to play in today's five man midfield but to be fair, with him, you wouldn't ever need five!

Daft that he had to go as low as Division 3 with Brentford before coming up with Southend. He should've been on our radar when he left Chelsea because he was always good for them.
  • Options
    Different class to anything we currently have in midfield for sure.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    My all time fav player, massively underated.
  • Options
    Great player. Loved him.
  • Options
    chazza said:

Really rated him, did a great job for us.

masicat said:

Different class to anything we currently have in midfield for sure.

Great player. Loved him.

This, This and This!!!
  • Options
    The only player I've ever seen with arms longer than his legs.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    He was a key player in us getting to the Premiership and complimented Kinsella well. I think he was top Championship and Curbs probably made th eright call in relation to his Premiership career but a Charlton Hero - Set up one of Superclive's Wembley goals and scored a penalty to boot too.
  • Options

This. Him and Kinsella really clicked together in the middle of the park. It was a real shame that Curbs broke up that partnership the first season in the prem (98/99) by dropping Keith for Redfern. Felt after playing such an important role alongside Kins that he deserved a crack in the prem that season.

Plus he was a really top fella. Him and his lovely wife were on me and my mates table at the POTY do prior to the play off final in 98. Fantastic couple. Now coaches out in the USA.

Thinking back what a great time that was supporting Charlton then.........
    Playing Redfearn as part of 2 man midfield was definitely a mistake, he provided little defensive cover and didn't do enough in the games he played in
  • Options
    Jones kept it simple and PASSED TO A RED SHIRT.

(and breathe...)
  • Options
    I always backed him to score first 3 quid at a time never happened as rare as rocking horse teeth then Boom Jonsey would crack one in and the 44-1 was worth it, if i remember right he scored two goals in quite close proximity one season and i walked away with over 100 quid twice in a season i think they were night games
  • Options
    There was a bloke a few seats along from where we sat who always shouted "go on pygmy!" every time he got the ball. I could never work out whether it was racist or not, but at the time it made us chuckle.
  • Options
    See I think of Keith Jones as the sort of player who didn't get this sort of praise heaped on him at the time of playing for us. Which is exactly why some may consider him an 'underrated' player of our past. I know my whole family for one didn't feel too confident when we were at Wembley and he stepped up to take a penalty in the Playoff Final.

I suspect a player like Bradley Pritchard will be looked back on with a similar fondness in 10-15 years time if he sticks with us.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    My favourite memory of Keith was his winner against Liverpool. The upper tier had not been built on the covered end and I went so mad that I nearly hit my head on the roof from jumping up and down when the goal went in.
  • Options
    His walk up for the Wembley penalty had miss written all over it. And then he scored - that is when I started to believe.
  • Options

His walk up for the Wembley penalty had miss written all over it. And then he scored - that is when I started to believe.

Exactly this. He just looked so small and I was thinking it would be typical of football if he was the one who lost us the game.

• Options
    Big heart great work ethic used to love his energy around the pitch .
  • Options
    i admit i was convinced he was going to miss i actually turned my back and didnt watch his pen.
  • Options
    Wonder if he ever comes back? Could be a good City Addicks guest.
  • Options
    I was also filled with dread when he stepped up for that penalty - thought he was going to pass it sideways.

The season mentioned with him and Kinsella he was incredible. Did he win player of the year that season?
  • Options
    Mr. Happy said:

I was also filled with dread when he stepped up for that penalty - thought he was going to pass it sideways.

The season mentioned with him and Kinsella he was incredible. Did he win player of the year that season?

No Kins won it that year
  • Options
    Great bloke Keith Jones. I remember talking to him in the club shop a few years back. He was coaching in San Diego then I think.
  • Options
    He typified that whole era. When the big moment arrived in 98, he delivered.