Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

2022 World Cup

124»

Comments

• Options
    i reckon finals will be as below with winners in Bold

Ukraine
    - Wales
    Russia - Czech Republic
    Italy -   Portugal 
  • Options
    Don't know why everyone thinks Wales will get through. Hard game against the Austrians. 
  • Options
    Just because they are at home in a one off game and have only lost something like 2 out of their last 25 qualifying games at home 
  • Options
    Don't know why everyone thinks Wales will get through. Hard game against the Austrians. 
    Austria lost both games against Scotland and finished behind Israel - Wales on the other hand finished second in their group ahead of the Czechs 
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    i reckon finals will be as below with winners in Bold

Ukraine
    - Wales
    Russia - Czech Republic
    Italy -   Portugal 
    Harsh!
  • Options
    Wales v Scotland would be a cracker
    Portugal v Italy will be pretty decent as well
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    Excellent draw. Hoping for Wales v Scotland and Italy v Portugal. 

In path B, will be supporting Sweden who definitely have the most passionate support of those four. Russia, Poland and the Czechs are just a bit dull…
  • Options

In path B, will be supporting Sweden who definitely have the most passionate support of those four. Russia, Poland and the Czechs are just a bit dull…
    I'm not sure the French police or any England fans who were in Marseille at Euro 2016 would describe the Russians as dull 
  • Options

I'm not sure the French police or any England fans who were in Marseille at Euro 2016 would describe the Russians as dull 
    Poland and Russia are pretty passionate in a different way - this World Cup will be the best behaved one yet 
  • Options
    This time next year....it's only round the corner 

How time flies
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Direct return flights to Doha went up from about £500 to over a grand in the space of a week 
  • Options
    Interesting draw that!  Hoping it is Wales v Scotland, bit of tension.

Plus at least one of Portugal and Italy not being at the World Cup is a bit of a turn up.
    The last two European Champions!
  • Options
    Thought this was cool, a World Cup 2022 draw simulator.

https://stattosoftware.com/wc2022/
  • Options
    Think the world cup is a long way off?

Well Qatar have already assembled their squad together for their pre-tournament training camp!

"Qatar are taking an unusual approach to preparations by staying together in a training camp for six months.

The 27-strong squad assembled last month and Felix Sanchez's side will play a series of friendly matches before their opening Group A fixture against Ecuador on 21 November.

The first part of the camp took place in Spain before they moved on to Austria, where they have a four-team tournament lined up against Morocco and Ghana - who will also participate in the World Cup - as well as Jamaica.

The plan is to work as a group on tactics as well as generating team spirit and understanding before hosting the tournament.

But teams in the domestic QSL will be without their key players for the opening seven games meaning they will be deprived of competitive matches."

• Options
    Haha I can just imagine Premier League sides self exploding if England or Germany etc. did this, even if the likes of Liverpool were to lose a Mo Salah level player to Qatar 
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    I read recently that South Korea did something like this in 2002 when they were hosting. It was one of Guus Hiddink’s requests when taking the manager’s job. They stopped the K-League far earlier than planned.

Served them very well and they got into the semi finals (albeit with help from some questionable refereeing).

It actually wouldn’t surprise me if Qatar surprise a few people. 
  • Options
    Think the world cup is a long way off?

Well Qatar have already assembled their squad together for their pre-tournament training camp!

"Qatar are taking an unusual approach to preparations by staying together in a training camp for six months.

The 27-strong squad assembled last month and Felix Sanchez's side will play a series of friendly matches before their opening Group A fixture against Ecuador on 21 November.

The first part of the camp took place in Spain before they moved on to Austria, where they have a four-team tournament lined up against Morocco and Ghana - who will also participate in the World Cup - as well as Jamaica.

The plan is to work as a group on tactics as well as generating team spirit and understanding before hosting the tournament.

But teams in the domestic QSL will be without their key players for the opening seven games meaning they will be deprived of competitive matches."

Gotta get that supplement cycle going early. 
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    I read recently that South Korea did something like this in 2002 when they were hosting. It was one of Guus Hiddink’s requests when taking the manager’s job. They stopped the K-League far earlier than planned.

Served them very well and they got into the semi finals (albeit with help from some questionable refereeing).

Still hoping they get absolutely spanked in all 3 games and fail to score a goal
  • Options
    Ireland beat them 4-0 which suggests they’ll get spanked come November 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    cafctom said:

Its part of the under the table bribe for getting the World Cup, the host always does alright. 
  • Options
    That home kit is awful. Looks like a (crap) training top.
  • Options
    I quite like it. Like the last one, it'll look better in a game.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Looks like Reece James is going to miss the World Cup which is a massive blow given his versatility. We're struggling for fit and able CBs, TAA is totally out of form and out of favour with Maguire looking a complete liability - so it is a real headache as to what our best defence looks like.

Solution - forget playing with five at the back with two holding midfielders too and let's play to our strengths and go "toe to toe" with the opposition. There are reasons why Foden, for example, looks a shadow of the player he does when playing for City and one of them is that he doesn't see enough of the ball and as a team we don't move it fast enough apart from when we are on the counter. 

It might be considered suicidal but, as we found in going five games without scoring a goal in open play, it wasn't until we released the handbrake against Germany that we looked somewhere near out attacking best.

My starting XI for the first game:

Pickford

Walker
    Stones
    Tomori Gomez
    Trippier

Rice
    Bellingham

Saka
    Foden
    Sterling

Kane

• Options
    Big blow for France. As good as they are, they'll still miss his presence in the middle.

Wondering if they'll suffer the infamous holders curse...
  • Options
    Big blow for France. As good as they are, they'll still miss his presence in the middle.

Wondering if they'll suffer the infamous holders curse...
    They've get Tchouameni to step straight in.

Embarrassment of riches at the moment, France.
  • Options
    Diogo Jota will miss the world cup as well, ruled out until the new year with a calf injury.