Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Burnley vs Charlton Athletic | Sat 28th Sept 2013 | Match Preview, Teams, Predictions, News & Views

Comments

• They felt aggrieved after an arguably jammy 0-1 win for us at Turf Moor last year. I think they may get their revenge in early. 2-0 by half time. We may pull one back in the second half or they may go one more to make it 3-0 at FT.
    But then, we're Charlton so we may rub salt into the wound by getting another jammy penalty and win 0-1.
  • Reckon with yann & solly still injured we will go 4-5-1 and play for a draw

Hamer
    Wilson Dervite Morro Wiggins
    Stewart Pritchard JJ Cousins Harriott
    Church

0-0
  • I think there will be a repeat of the great custard flood of 1937...match abandoned at half time.
  • Went last season, swerving it this season.

As in most games, it'll be won and lost in midfield, particularly in the central areas. Pritchard is covering a lot of ground and winning possession but gives it away again too easily. Stephens passing is erratic under pressure and he is ineffective when the opposition has the ball. Jacko does a good job for 60 mins but fades during the last half-hour (at Watford he didn't have the legs to assist Wiggins who was getting done by Anya/Iriney, and in the Millwall game he looked like he was running in treacle in the last 15). I'd go Gower-Cousins-Jacko in midfield, with Pritchard ready to come on and add some energy when Jacko fades around 70 mins.
    If Kermorgant is unfit, it has to be Church-Sordell. Pigott- Church are too similar. We will need to play two forwards up front to retain possession in the last third. Let's find out once and for all if Sordell wants to play for this club. His body language is suggesting otherwise.
    I can't see CP switching back to 4-4-2, we'll be too open in midfield. If ever there is a game for 5-3-2, it's against in-form Burnley.
    I'm not expecting anything from this game. Perhaps Burnley can assist us by having a player sent off after 10 mins as they did last season.
  • A point would be excellent.

Can't see it though. Hope desperately to be proved wrong.
  • Reckon with yann & solly still injured we will go 4-5-1 and play for a draw

Hamer
    Church

0-0

This is the team I'd like to see if Solly and Kermorgant are injured
  • 1-1 for me on this game.......would really love to see the addicks win it, but head says draw is the best we can get....match thread a little later than normal from about 2:15
  • edited September 2013

Reckon with yann & solly still injured we will go 4-5-1 and play for a draw

Hamer
    Church

0-0

i like this team. Don't understand when people say without yann we can't win?not exactly henry is he, if we play a passing game church will be just as dangerous, but what good is he when all we usually do is hoof it to him, may be with stewart and harriot we can get some more passing and creativity going.

1-1.
  • We have to go back to 4-4-2.

Taking injuries into account i hope the team is:-

Hamer
    Wilson, Dervite, Morrison, Wiggins
    Pritchard, Jackson, Cousins, Stewart
    Church, Sordell

Subs, Alnwick, Wood, Evina, Piggott, Harriott, Stephens, Gower

I'd play Cousins slightly deeper in DM which will give support for the back four and free up Jackson to push forward into more goalscoring positions. Harriott is a good winger with a lot of pace and it was a tough call for me between him and Stewart, but Stewart looks that little bit stronger to me.

I am not a big fan of Pritchard being on the Right, but we can't go into this game with 2 out and out wingers and Pritchard will add a much needed defensive support for Wilson. Cousins deserves to be in starting line up for me. I'd like to see Piggott with some winger support in a game, but start him on the bench and bring him on at some point.

I'll go for a positive prediction of 1-1.
  • Reckon we should play 4-5-1
    Hamer
    Solly, Morro, Wood, Wiggins
    Wilson, Pritchard, Stephens, Jackson, Harriot
    Kermogent (Church if not fit)

looks good shape of team and still attacking even tho 5 in Midfield
    We will lose 2-1
  • Sponsored links:

• Those predicting a thrashing haven't been around long. We will play the way we should have played last Saturday and sneak a good result. It's the Charlton way.
  • 1-7. Hales and Aizlewood to get red cards and Billy Hamilton to smash home a hat-trick.....
  • Can't see us scoring, can't see us not conceding.

Thats the spirit :)

Thats the spirit :)
    This.

• I think in typical Charlton fashion we will play to Burnley's current level/form and stick one or two past them. We always perform better against teams nearer the top.

Piggot on the bench, Stewart to start

Burnley 1- CAFC 2
  • It is often the Charlton way to bounce back after a poor performance and I am sure that is the reason for so much optimism about this game.

So my heart says a win to Charlton but my head says a 3-0 defeat.

• edited September 2013
    For me it is now more simple. Pack the defence, kick it into row Z, park the bus and go for a clean sheet. Keep a 5% possibility to execute a smash and grab from a set piece or the late introduction of Harriott or Stewart. If we avoid defeat at Turf Moor it will feel like a victory for me.
  • edited September 2013
    I can only see a draw at best against one of the form teams in the division. Sadly, I believe we will be on the end of a comprehensive 3-1 beating. Our shortcomings in midfield, where games are won & lost, are too great.
  • Im paying £105 for the train To Burnley from Broadstairs tomorrow, i must be mad right...
  • Sponsored links:

• burnley are a quality outfit 2 great front men and a quality mgr

passionate fans

we will be lucky to get out of there 2-nil
  • edited September 2013

Im paying £105 for the train To Burnley from Broadstairs tomorrow, i must be mad right...

Mad? Almost certifiable mate. Although a place is automatically reserved for you in Addick Heaven where we ALWAYS beat the Spanners, there are zero pot holes in the car park and you are served promptly a decent fair priced pint at half time...
  • Im paying £105 for the train To Burnley from Broadstairs tomorrow, i must be mad right...

Mad? Almost certifiable mate. Although a place is automatically reserved for you in Addick Heaven where we ALWAYS beat the Spanners, there are zero pot holes in the car park and you are served promptly a decent fair priced pint at half time...
    love it, never been burnley before, i should of booked train in advance but i only found out i havnt got work this weekend, so sod it why not
  • Another loss but not as bad as some think. Comfortable 2 - 0 Burnley.
  • If Powell holds his nerve - sticks with a 3-5-2 (as this game will suit it!) and YAnn is back - I can see us surprising a few people.
  • masicat said:

Those predicting a thrashing haven't been around long. We will play the way we should have played last Saturday and sneak a good result. It's the Charlton way.

I hope we don't - Burnley won't set up like Millwall did!
  • I think all football fans are slightly mad, Broadstairs ;-). We have started well but have a paper thin squad at Burnley due to finances. The first 12 or 13 players appear to be a quality tight knit bunch, but beyond that we're struggling and may drop down to mid table over the winter when injuries and suspensions kick in.

The longer we can keep people fit the better, because it feels good this season. When I say 'good', I think as a football fan you know what I mean; just like we're on the brink of something happening. What we wouldn't give for 2-3 reasonable additions to that squad...

I think (hope) it'll be 2-0 Burnley, but if it had been November/December I'd be saying a draw. The weather's supposed to be nice up here this weekend anyway :-)
  • So we need to go in strong, injure a few of your key players and we should be in with a shout, yes?
  • Sorry my idiotic passionate instincts got the better of me.
  • edited September 2013
    Turf Moor was the first ground I ever attended - Chelsea in 1970 or 1 I think it was - in the company of my cousins who subsequently grassed me up to my mum for swearing. A desperately dull 0-0 draw.