Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

David Bentley

Unattached currently, just failed in a trial at Leeds. 29 years old, with a good footballer somewhere in there? Worth a punt, the kind of player SCP could revitalise (a la Kermorgant?).

Comments

• Options
    I doubt it
  • Options
    No thanks. One of those arrogant overpaid English footballers who've become a millionaire from not doing anything for years.
  • Options
    Unbelievable that his career has faded so badly. It all went downhill for him once he threw that water butt over Harry on the night we beat City to qualify for the CL.
    Lennon got injured in the run-in of that season and Bentley came in and was probably our best player in the last 5/6 games of that season.
    Will never know what went on behind the scenes but something must have been seriously wrong.

• Options
    He probably still thinks he's better than he is. Shame. Probably still better than Green though.
  • Options
    No no no no no. The sort of overpaid, self-centred footballer we should be avoiding like the plague.
  • Options

Didn't he have a brief spell in our Academy before joining Arsenal ?
  • Options
    As you say there's a footballer in there - but he's had his better days and the risk is that he'd look at a club like Charlton not as a second or even last chance, but another pay cheque to fund his lifestyle for a bit longer.
  • Options
    I'd have him if he was up to the challenge and wasn't asking for extortionate money!
  • Options
    does he still think he's better than Beckham?
  • Options
    Still annoys me to this day when I see his name. The way he disrespected the England U21 set-up when they needed him for the Euro tournament will always stick in my mind.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I honestly doubt we could afford him and personally I wouldn't want him. Not because he doesn't have talent but because he's wasted that talent his entire career and I don't think even SCP can change that.
  • Options
    You know what, I've met him a couple of time and can honestly say he is a thoroughly decent guy, and I'm not a fan of footballers behaviour or fall for nonsense easily.

Last time I met him was when he was in Islington with his bird/wife/partner and asked where he was playing now. He was playing for a Russian side and was aching to just play didn't give a stuff about the money, said he had plenty of that and said he should probably have stayed at Blackburn but they were well up for selling him and at the time he thought he would get a real crack with Tottenham and England as he put it Becks won't be around forever. Didn't ask him why he left Tottenham but he mentioned he has always been a fan as most of his family and him are from that area. He knows how he is thought of an reckons that is why he will probably end up playing his career out in the states or Australia but really doesn't wanna shunt his family around he world.

I have no idea if this is true or not but he seemed genuine enough to me, ive also got no idea of his form or fitness now but as a bloke he seems alright
  • Options
    Its a brave man that takes his bird/wife/partner out together on the same night so fair play to him :-)
  • Options
    Haha indeed
  • Options

Its a brave man that takes his bird/wife/partner out together on the same night so fair play to him :-)

brilliant!
  • Options
    Shame, he looked like such a good footballer at Spurs. He could have became like the 'new' David Beckham. I wouldn't take him now though. He is just one of these typically overpaid English footballers, I bet he will still be asking for like £50,000 a week!
  • Options

Ha ha
  • Options
    My view of him socially carts if different coming from cheshunt I saw him out and about reg and he was a prick

Benefit of doubt as we were all younger then so it was a lot of money and bravado

Watch the you tube clip of him pinging a ball at arry during training and arrys reaction its brilliant
  • Options
    Do you mean that old footage where Arry starts effing and blinding? -

"Got some facking brains intcha?"

I thought that was at old school West Ham, ie long before Bentley went there? ...or are you talking about a different incident?
  • Options
    that's the bit I thought I was told that was at the old spurs lodge and it was Bentley
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I will be honest when i first saw the article in the sun saying he had failed at leeds I thought if we could afford him i would love to see him at the valley and still feel that now but doubt we have the money for his wages
  • Options

I thought that was at old school West Ham, ie long before Bentley went there? ...or are you talking about a different incident?

we were both wrong checking on line says he was pompey mgr
  • Options
    Shocked he has not got a club, he is a very talented player and surely worth a go for the likes of Hull or Palace.

Given our right side weaknesses he would be worth a go at the right price.
  • Options
    Is Anton Ferdinand still training with us? He's another who could do a job but wage demands put everyone off
  • Options

Is Anton Ferdinand still training with us? He's another who could do a job but wage demands put everyone off

No i think he signed for a club in turkey
  • Options
    It's good to read Carter's comments because I share the views of most on here.

Whilst he is currently without an income he can hardly be destitute but it appears he is desperate to play. I'd offer him a 3 month contract on wages we can afford (which might be nothing!). If he plays well, he puts himself in the shop window and we benefit too.
  • Options
    Why not a "pay as you play "deal ?
  • Options

It was Pompey and it was Mark Burchill I think.

• Options

Well I never!
    Learn something new every day, eh?
    Cheers.
  • Options
    He'd be a good edition in the middle of the park even if we didn't play him out wide. Good passer of the ball and a creative minded player. He can shoot too. Very much doubt we could afford him though.