Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Top three two-tone records

for those that remember the early 80s.

Free Nelson Mandela - Special AKA
Stand Down Margaret - The Beat
Ghost Town - Specials

Comments

• Options
    ghost town
    one step beyond
    my girl's mad at me
  • Options
    On my radio - Selector
    A message to you ruby - Specials
    Tears of a clown - the beat
  • Options
    Specials - Too Much Too Young
    Specials - Rat Race
    Selecter - On My Radio
  • Options
    i love this kind of music at the Mo, its ace i tell ya! Too much to young (specials), amazing song that
  • Options
    You may be interested to know that Robert Elms is featuring 'what's all the fuss about 2 Tone' on his show today on BBC London in which listeners are invited to nominate the best three. Or did you already know that? I guess you probably did.
  • Options
    too much too young - the specials

the prince - madness

mirror In the bathroom - the beat
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: raddickle[/cite]You may be interested to know that Robert Elms is featuring 'what's all the fuss about 2 Tone' on his show today on BBC London in which listeners are invited to nominate the best three. Or did you already know that? I guess you probably did.

You got me bang to rightds, Copper, that's what made me do it. :-) Love Robert Elms and "what's all the fuss about...."
  • Options
    The thing with this thread is that every song mentioned could be in my top 3. Happy days ................
  • Options
    Selecter - Three minute hero
    Selecter - James Bond
    Specials - Rude boys out of jail/Rat race

I grew up with this stuff. Since the advent of CDs my vinyl collection went into the loft and hasn't seen the light of day since.
  • Options
    great thread this. Now i am listening to my specials live on Itunes!! quality
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Too many to mention struggling with this

specials -too much too young

the prince - madness

On my radio - Selector

i'll probably think of more later
  • Options
    The Special AKA vs The Selecter - Gangsters
    Elvis Costello - I can't stand up for falling down
    The Specials - A message to you Rudy
  • Options
    Madness do a good Swan Lake by the way!
  • Options
    This is well hard as there is so much good stuff. Love all the early skinhead tunes, but...

The Selecter- The Selecter
    The Prince- Madness
    Gangsters- The Specials

Hall of Fame for Prince Buster though as without him there'd be none of the above!
  • Options
    I really liked and like The Beat. Think their stuff stands up well against Madness especially.
  • Options
    Ranking Full Stop would be my favourite of theirs...
  • Options
    Just added this to to another thread...

What you talk about?...you say you don't like the jungle beat!?! What you talk about?...you say you don't like the jungle beat!?! You muss be cra-ay-ay-ay-zee....da da da da da...you muss be cra-ay-ay-ay-zee....da da da da da....
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]I really liked and like The Beat. Think their stuff stands up well against Madness especially.

I did indeed see The Beat last week in Banff - they were fronted by Dave Wakeling, not sure if he was he original singer. Anyway they were great, Tears of a Clown, Stand Up Margaret & i think only one other cover, so a lot of their original stuff. Just gutted that I missed Bo Diddely playing at the same venue the week before.
  • Options
    Dave Wakeling was the original lead singer.

Bo Diddely must be about 80 as he weren't that young in his heyday in the 50s
  • Options
    You have now transported me to the Mayplace Youth Club, with my black & white shift dress & trilby stolen from my Dad.

Len who ran it...............top top geezer! First kiss behind the portacabin! Watching the boys play snooker! Drinking woodpecker cider! Running all the way home in the same time it should have taken in a car as I always lied to my parents telling them I got a lift home as that was the only way I was allowed to go!

Happy Happy Days!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Skinhead Moonstomp
    The Prince
    Liquidator
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Too Much Too Young - Specials
    One Step Beyond - Madness
    A Message to You Rudy - Specials

But there was so many good stuff
  • Options
    Too Much Pressure - The Selecter
    Do The Dog - The Specials
    Too Much too Young - the Specials

PS

If anyone is interested there is a film coming out that covers the early 80's and 2-Tone era

poster2.jpg

http://www.shanemeadows.co.uk/

PPS i'll give you a point if you can prove your not a plastic by telling us the name of the black and white drawn character ever present on all things 2 tone and who drew him :D
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    The Walt Jabsco logo
    Jerry Dammers, with the assistance of Horace Panter, created it
  • Options
    LOL - well done

for the second point - which record title and artist was "Gangsters" originally based on? (ps no editing ;P)
  • Options
    Al Capone - Prince Buster
  • Options
    Ok easy - so I'll make em harder - "take your FA aggravation, fight it out on new street station" the lyrics to what song and what are the rest of the lyrics? - 5 points! :)
  • Options
    Master racial masturbation
    causes National Front frustration
  • Options
    MMMMMM not quite but i'll give it to you cos you didnt cheat LOL -
    and the song title was? (wicked song aint it should play it at the valley b4 the match)
  • Options
    I was too young to be buying singles at the time, so I'm basing my favourites on a couple of TwoTone compilation albums I've got
    The Beat - Mirror in the Bathroom
    The Special AKA - What I Like Most About You Is Your Girlfriend
    The Specials - Ghost Town

What's that song then Spirito di Canio?