Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Grandstand or World of Sport?

2»

Comments

• Options
    edited September 2013
    Purely out of nothing better to do, I just watched that Vintage scramble video. Fantastic race. Thanks for posting, Len.......................
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Got to be Grandstand all day long, although I did like the the bit on world of Sport with the ole plane pulling the banner along, the wrestling was a bit weird and contrived, a bit too much Nacho Libre for my liking.
  • Options
    Didn't both sides do the fa cup final at one time?
  • Options
    Remember me nan watching the Wrestling on WoS and shout at the old telly while bashing the arm of her chair! Easy Easy Easy
  • Options

Yes It was Brian Moore v John Motson - we always went with Motty
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Grandstand for me. Anyone remember the April fools day fight in the background? Sure that was grandstand.
    Saint and greavsie was a stand alone programme on Itv probably peaked about 92.

Sports night had second best theme tune ever, second only to Rockford files.
    The graphics really coincided with the tune.

Remember cantonas sending off being on there and being shocked as no Internet those days and hadn't checked ceefax.

Was Arthur Lampkin the father of Dougie Lampkin?
  • Options
    World of Sports equivalent to Football Focus was On The Ball. For many years this was presented by Brian Moore and latterly by Ian St John who was soon joined by Jimmy Greaves. They soon struck up a very good rapport which eventually led to them getting their own show.
  • Options

It wasn't always Motty, in fact he didn't do it till 1977. It was Coleman before that and he did 1978 too.
  • Options
    WOS, Easy easy easy.
  • Options
    Riviera said:

World of Sports equivalent to Football Focus was On The Ball. For many years this was presented by Brian Moore and latterly by Ian St John who was soon joined by Jimmy Greaves. They soon struck up a very good rapport which eventually led to them getting their own show.

For years Saint used to sign off the show with "Goodbye from Jimmy and I", which presumably he thought sounded posher than "Jimmy and me" but of course is just plain wrong. Why didn't someone tell him?

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    I always preferred Grandstand although I lost interest when horse racing and wrestling came on. What is hard to imagine is that the only news you had of away games was from half time scores (occasionally) at the teleprinter at full time. How tense was that moment as you saw "Sheffield United 1" come up and waited to see whether we had scored any. And, what was worse, it sometimes used to "stutter" and stop at "Sheffield United 1 Charlton".

As a kid, I can remember hoping that after a defeat that it was an error as most weeks one game came through with a corrected result. I don't think it ever happened for Charlton!
  • Options
    Riviera said:

It wasn't always Motty, in fact he didn't do it till 1977. It was Coleman before that and he did 1978 too.
    Wolstenholme before Coleman?

• Options
    MrOneLung said:

Was Arthur Lampkin the father of Dougie Lampkin?

I'd never heard of him!! Looked at his website, and it says his dad is Martin Lampkin.

Given the name, and the sport he's into, Arthur must have been related to him in some way, though.
  • Options
    Whilst getting all nostalgic with the radio 2 midweek sports specials reminded me one of the biggest buzzes of a season was sneaking a small radio into school to listen to the 3rd round fa cup draw on a Monday lunchtime. "....and now we go over to Lancaster gate ......"
    It just isn't the same on tv.
  • Options

Whilst getting all nostalgic with the radio 2 midweek sports specials reminded me one of the biggest buzzes of a season was sneaking a small radio into school to listen to the 3rd round fa cup draw on a Monday lunchtime. "....and now we go over to Lancaster gate ......"
    It just isn't the same on tv.

ha ha yeah i remember having a moody radio watch and i'd slip the earpiece in and slide under the desk to pretend to pick up a pencil or do laces up .....

• Options
    Saint and Greavesie followed by the wrestling, then back to Grandstand for the afternoon.
  • Options
    Used to like the "weird" sport slot on WOS after football focus on BBC - they showed things like lumberjack competitions and cliff diving, even car chases from films I remember once! Then it was either out to watch or play football all afternoon until the teleprinter. Rugby bored me then, wrestling and horse racing even more so (and still do). Most of it was cack really.
  • Options
    Use to love watching the old Sikh wrestling sport of Kabadi on Channel 4, must've been late 80's
  • Options
    Kabadi was brilliant - 'and coming up we have the grudge match between Army and National Railways'.
  • Options
    Grandstand. Bough was a LAD
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Grandstand. Bough was LAID

• Options
    MrOneLung said:

Kabadi was brilliant - 'and coming up we have the grudge match between Army and National Railways'.

"Kabadi, Kabadi, Kabadi, Kabadi, Kabadi, Kabadi..." Just brilliant.
  • Options
    Nearly as good as international king of sports hosted by Helen chamberlain.
  • Options
    What side had the rally cross on featuring this fella?