Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Being priced out of watching football

When I was in my teens and even into my early twenties I would often go and see any old match from non league upwards because I loved watching football and sometimes because I just wanted to get my tally of grounds up.

This week I'm on a course up in Leicester for a couple of days so as I don't know anyone else up there and I've yet to visit the KP stadium I thought I'd take in Leicester's match with Blackburn , that was until I realised the cheapest ticket was £35!

Totally ridiculous price for a midweek division 2 match.

Comments

• Options
    That's shocking for this level of football.
  • Options
    Shocking for any level of football.
  • Options
    I'm not sure, but think you may be mistaken.

South £29, East £28, JTT £22.

http://www.lcfcdirect.com/events.aspx?section=eve
  • Options
    I heard Ipswich are going to charge £26 for away adults this season.

A nice change from the £50 last year (if it's true).
  • Options
    When I looked on their website earlier it seemed to say that the cheapest was £35 , will look again. Having said that recently as Dartford is one of my local non league sides I thought maybe I'd pop along there but it was around £15.

Leicester's wage bill season before last was £27m , total joke.
  • Options
    buckshee said:

When I looked on their website earlier it seemed to say that the cheapest was £35 , will look again. Having said that recently as Dartford is one of my local non league sides I thought maybe I'd pop along there but it was around £15.

Leicester's wage bill season before last was £27m , total joke.

That's insanity, I wonder what their income was for that season ?
  • Options
    Their owners bailed them out by putting in £36m , all that and still not promoted.
  • Options
    Football is insane. I seriously doubt that if Charlton ever get back to the EPL I would be able to justify a season ticket. I wouldn't pay £35 to watch a football match every other week.
  • Options

I'm not sure, but think you may be mistaken.

South £29, East £28, JTT £22.

http://www.lcfcdirect.com/events.aspx?section=eve

Just looked again , I think that's the under 18 prices.
  • Options

Football is insane. I seriously doubt that if Charlton ever get back to the EPL I would be able to justify a season ticket. I wouldn't pay £35 to watch a football match every other week.

This!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Good old British football fan taking it up the arse as usual.
  • Options
    buckshee said:

That's an awful website that's not lined up properly and full of mistakes.
  • Options
    That's what I thought , the guys on their forum seem to think there are tickets for £22.
  • Options
    Compare and contrast with football in Germany, where admission to the top-flight clubs is very reasonable. And many clubs are owned by the fans - a connection there, perhaps?
  • Options
    John, I still think I'm right. You're not scrolling down.

South SK1 SK4

£29

South SK1/2/3/4

£29

Visitors Section

£28

East G1 G2

£28

A2 C1

£29

A2 C1 a

£29

JTT 1

£22

• Options
    So now I realise that by signing up to their website I can view all the prices and there are some for £22 and I thought our website was bad!
  • Options
    buckshee said:

So now I realise that by signing up to their website I can view all the prices and there are some for £22 and I thought our website was bad!

You didn't need to sign up. Just scroll down.

• Options
    edited September 2013
    I heard on the radio this week, that the price for watching football in this country has fallen.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24052562
  • Options

Leicester and a few other clubs are going to find themselves locked out of the transfer market in just over 12 months time unless they can reduce their losses now...

Pushing prices up will no longer be needed/justifiable to meet high wage bills because these are coming down. In any case surely it makes sense to fill empty seats that yield nothing rather than push up prices which might raise some money but put others off.

One of Charlton's best hopes might be to play the long game and improve the squad gradually AND improve revenue by getting more people in / sorting out the queues. This so that just as certain clubs are disallowed from registering players, we are in a position to strengthen the weakest parts of the squad.

Getting back to the Premier League in this way is a long shot but the better shape we are in, the more likely we are to attract new investment to make that push up into the top six

• Sponsored links:

• Options

Leicester and a few other clubs are going to find themselves locked out of the transfer market in just over 12 months time unless they can reduce their losses now...

Pushing prices up will no longer be needed/justifiable to meet high wage bills because these are coming down. In any case surely it makes sense to fill empty seats that yield nothing rather than push up prices which might raise some money but put others off.

One of Charlton's best hopes might be to play the long game and improve the squad gradually AND improve revenue by getting more people in / sorting out the queues. This so that just as certain clubs are disallowed from registering players, we are in a position to strengthen the weakest parts of the squad.

Getting back to the Premier League in this way is a long shot but the better shape we are in, the more likely we are to attract new investment to make that push up into the top six

To be honest I'd definitely prefer this route, even if it took a decade, than someone coming in, chucking £100m in, getting us up and all of a sudden Charlton "discover" 27,000 new fans who will pay £700 a season ticket to watch Charlton rather than support them.
  • Options
    Ipswich yesterday:

CllrEmma ‏@TownCloseEmma
    £35 walk up price today at #itfc! 15,000 crowd. 15,000 empty seats. could yoevil tues be back to 11,000 low of the rainy Stockport game?
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    se9addick said:

To be honest I'd definitely prefer this route, even if it took a decade, than someone coming in, chucking £100m in, getting us up and all of a sudden Charlton "discover" 27,000 new fans who will pay £700 a season ticket to watch Charlton rather than support them.
    Precisely... So what can we do now to fill our empty seats. To build revenue and make us more competitive over the next few years.

And the more that owners put in by way of loans and debt, the more they can say "we will do it my way"... as you say (just like QPR) watch those ST prices go through the roof once we go up... alternatively how about a club which values the fans whatever division they are in especially the ones that stay loyal through the thinner years.

• Options
    £35.00 is way too much.
  • Options
    Are Swansea's S/T resonable being that they are part owned by a Trust ?
  • Options
    Well it turns out they do have a few at £22 (plus £1 booking fee) which I think is about right but wouldn't want to pay any more.

I think the whole concept of just popping along to a match is dying out now.
  • Options

Are Swansea's S/T resonable being that they are part owned by a Trust ?

Swansea are mid way at £449... and £35 for a single ticket - no idea what say their Trust have on pricing but they do own 20%... without knowing the detailed history of 10 years they do seam to have reached the Premier League AND stayed there without racking up massive debts.

The London clubs as we know from our time up there are charging a fortune - Arsenal are charging top price £126 per ticket for some games!

theguardian.com/news/datablog/2013/jun/19/premier-league-ticket-prices-club-charge-the-most
  • Options
    Thanks red, compared to some that seems quite good, £449 for 19 games, £24 per match.
  • Options
    Some of the out laws live near Leicester and are regulars there.The Father in law was horrified when his daughter paid them in and Im sure £35 a skull was mentioned!
  • Options
    Buckshee change the name of the thread to “I thought I was being priced out of football but didn't scroll down”