Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Official CL weekend Lycra warriors thread (cycling)

Comments

• edited July 2019
    buckshee said:
    As someone that both cycles and drives a van and a car I think that Dave Sherry fella is a dick and will no doubt have someone lay him out pretty soon. 
    No argument there - which is exactly why they chose him for the programme 
  • Unfortunately for me he lives on my work patch.
  • Anyone doing RideLondon/WalkSurrey this year? Managed to get out in the first wave, so might stand a chance of avoiding the chop... 
  • Just a shout out , my neighbour has had his Bike stolen by some toe rags outside New Eltham Station / Library.

Keep em locked boys and girls, plenty of scumbags looking to make a kiwi quid!
  • That sucks... But he might get a bit more help if he was more descriptive than 'bike'... 😏
  • Sorry Leroy, will have a chat with him and try and add a bit of info, just wanted to let any lifers know. 
  • Anyone doing RideLondon/WalkSurrey this year? Managed to get out in the first wave, so might stand a chance of avoiding the chop... 
    Leroy , what time did you do ? How did it all go ?
    Leroy , what time did you do ? How did it all go ?
    Not well. Was hoping for around 4:05. Was in front group for the first 40 miles (was in the lead for about a mile coming through Knightsbridge and past the museum haha) but had gear problems near Ripley and lost them, so got caught in no man's land from Newlands to Leith. Ran out of talent up Leith (though not being able to get in the little ring didn't help) then cramped after Box and rode the last 25 miles on one leg. 4:18 in the end - so way behind what I wanted to do.

Not as choppy as last time I did it, but because the front group was full of racers, when it was choppy it was pretty brutal. Had to bunny hop onto and off a traffic island somewhere early on after swerving to avoid a dropped bidon
  • I've signed up for next year, mainly out of sympathy for my brother who back mech went to shit at Ripley, abandoned and then dumped at Guildford Station, so I'm aiming to train for a sub 6, 6.30 in 2015 so it can be done, but as commented, a decent time on Ride London is down to luck rather than talent. 

Saying that, a bloke in the office did it on a Fixie in 4.50
  • Rothko said:
    I've signed up for next year, mainly out of sympathy for my brother who back mech went to shit at Ripley, abandoned and then dumped at Guildford Station, so I'm aiming to train for a sub 6, 6.30 in 2015 so it can be done, but as commented, a decent time on Ride London is down to luck rather than talent. 

Saying that, a bloke in the office did it on a Fixie in 4.50
    I pretty much did the last half on a fixie as well  :D

Weird - it was Ripley where my gears went as well... 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited August 2019

I did 5.46 but was hoping for around 5.15. Was on course for it after 50 miles but just didn't have enough energy to do it.
    Sadly I couldn't get enough training in to beat my previous best of 5.40.
    It's a fast course and does surprise me how many people take it very seriously. Saw a couple of riders crashed on dowhill sections but that doesn't surprise me because the roads in some places are in need of serious repair.
    Also some nutters don’t give you enough space when overtaking and if your not use to it, it's scary. Others just stop in stupid places. I was out early so avoided continues stoppages but got caught with the 46 mile riders and that posed a few problems.

• edited August 2019
    Anyone here got or had a Planet X bike? Been after a particular one on eBay for a while, someone has the one I want but I’m not sure the frame size will be ok. 

• iainment said:
    It won't, but - as a mate said to me at the weekend 'Brad gonna Brad'. 
  • Been looking at replacing my current bike, only reason being is that I’ve finally admitted to myself that perhaps I should’ve bought a smaller frame. 

Ive been looking on eBay, gumtree etc but no joy so far. Are there any other places out of the usual ones that I could do with looking on? Maybe cycling forums and the like. 
  • edited September 2019
    I have not long completesd the off road MTB route from Glasgow to Inverness over three and a bit days . 190 odd miles , 20k feet of climb and some of the most remarkable scenery 

i know now there are few of any MTB riders on here but I have to say riding in and out of Glenn Coe off road , over the devils staircase was one of the great thrills of my cycling life

The West Highland Way and Great Glenn Way was an epic ride 
  • buckshee said:
    Been looking at replacing my current bike, only reason being is that I’ve finally admitted to myself that perhaps I should’ve bought a smaller frame. 

Ive been looking on eBay, gumtree etc but no joy so far. Are there any other places out of the usual ones that I could do with looking on? Maybe cycling forums and the like. 
    What sort of bike and what size are you after?
  • buckshee said:
    Been looking at replacing my current bike, only reason being is that I’ve finally admitted to myself that perhaps I should’ve bought a smaller frame. 

Sure you can't get away with a shorter stem, changing your stack height and saddle height/setback? Might be cheaper than buying a new bike
  • Saw a massive group of cyclists coming through New Eltham one day this week about 9am-ish. All had the same gear on, had about 4 or 5 motorcycle outriders and must've been a couple of hundred of them. Some right fat fuckers too, all in lycra.

Anyone got any ideas what that was all about?
  • Rode the Going To The Sun Road in Glacier National Park last week. Beautiful scenery, but the 8 mile climb to Logan Pass that marks the continental divide was not designed for overweight flatlanders. Supposedly 6% all the way, no flats, no easing off. I didn’t see my Garmin dip under 5.5%, but did see it over 7%. The other 40 miles was wonderful, especially coming down.
  • Sponsored links:

• Some bike art i spotted in Texas just to liven the thread..
  • Treated myself to a nice bit of leisurewear
  • If anyone fancies treating themselves ...
    Wiggle have some good discount on Morvelo clothing.
  • I’ve been riding for over 40 years but  a thoughtful present from my son
  • I’ve been riding for over 40 years but  a thoughtful present from my sonIt's the way you get your leg over that counts !