Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Official CL weekend Lycra warriors thread (cycling)

Comments

• Options

olster said:

I'm bored of cycling

If the tracking and the underlying map are accurate, it's pizza time in Lutschaun.
    Anyone else following this. Should we be worried that the little tracking device tells me he's set up camp on the town of Kocane.
  • Options
    His Instagram feed tells a story of a man who seriously regrets signing up for it... :lol:

Brilliant effort @olster — so close now. Think he'll enjoy the piss up at the end!
  • Options
    Leaving the tubby jokes to one side, anyone have an opinion on canondale spokes?
  • Options
    Completed the triple of MT Ventoux on Thursday. But made a basic mistake of turning my garmin off after the first descent. hence the two strava in puts. It's a cracking area for cycling would recommend it, Gorge de Nesque views were stunning.
  • Options
    Well done @olster.
  • Options
    Olster you absolute legend. How the f*ck did you manage that. In absolute awe of you, well done!
  • Options
    olster said:

Cheers all.

Last few days were particularly tough - heat stroke in Serbia (curled up in a ball by the side of the road spewing your guts out is not a place you want to be) and then getting bitten by a dog just after I crossed the border into Greece.

Great experience, some amazing roads and I learnt so much it would be a shame for all that learning to go to waste. But first, a few days in Corfu with my bike staying firmly in the box. Will write up a ride report at some point so will post up here if people are interested.

I think it's safe to say, yes, we're interested!

Amazing achievement mate, well done. Hope your legs recover enough for you to enjoy your holiday - you've certainly earned it! What is it with this ride and dog bites? Loads of people seem to have been chased and/or bitten riding through the Balkans - is it some kind of national sport? :)

Next stop, RAAM?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    olster said:

Cheers all.

Last few days were particularly tough - heat stroke in Serbia (curled up in a ball by the side of the road spewing your guts out is not a place you want to be) and then getting bitten by a dog just after I crossed the border into Greece.

Great experience, some amazing roads and I learnt so much it would be a shame for all that learning to go to waste. But first, a few days in Corfu with my bike staying firmly in the box. Will write up a ride report at some point so will post up here if people are interested.

Chapeau mate chapeau.
  • Options
    olster said:

Cheers all.

I don't know how you coped with those last few days. I didn't realize how hot it was until we were talking about this at work, and the Macedonian said his family had seen the temp hit 50C.

• Options
    olster said:

Cheers all.

yes please for the ride report.

And sorry to be old and sensible but get a tetanus jab for the dog bite.
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    @SomervilleAddick I didn't really cope all that well with the heat. In hindsight I should have switched to night riding a few days earlier. For a couple of days I holed myself up in a hotel during the day which helped. Riding through the night is beautiful, but you need to mentally prepare for it.

@Baldybonce don't worry I got jabbed at the hospital immediately. Thanks though :-)

@Leroy Ambrose yeah the dogs are brutal east of slovakia. Almost always they just bark and run alongside you, but occasionally they go in for a bite. The first few packs I tried to sprint away, but there's only so much of that you can do, especially with 3k km in your legs. The first dog to bark at me after i got bitten got whacked straight in the face, which was satisfying.

Wouldn't want to do RAAM (which is supported) but would be interested in doing the TABR (unsupported crossing America), but want to focus the next year on getting faster, getting into crit racing and time trialling and maybe doing some smaller (900k ish) events, then maybe give TCR a shot again 2019. We'll see.
  • Options
    Forgotten your helmet?
    This Russian has a solution!
  • Options
    Might be moving soon so I need to think of buying some sort of secure bike shed to put in the garden. Anyone got any recommendations?

Looking to put three bikes in.

Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    buckshee said:

Might be moving soon so I need to think of buying some sort of secure bike shed to put in the garden. Anyone got any recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

Asgard. £500 for a 3 bike metal shed.

Www.asgardsss.co.uk
  • Options
    iainment said:

buckshee said:

Thanks in advance.

Www.asgardsss.co.uk
    Saw that , looks exactly what I'm looking for . Was hoping I wouldn't have to pay out quite so much.

Cheaper than three new bikes I suppose.
  • Options
    buckshee said:

iainment said:

buckshee said:

Thanks in advance.

Www.asgardsss.co.uk
    Saw that , looks exactly what I'm looking for . Was hoping I wouldn't have to pay out quite so much.

and make sure the bikes are suitably insured.
  • Options
    buckshee said:

iainment said:

buckshee said:

Thanks in advance.

Www.asgardsss.co.uk

https://www.internetgardener.co.uk/product/tool-stores/forest-garden-pressure-treated-timber-bike-store/24807?selected=27d542f6-6f9e-4924-8bf0-0171b920e4e2&gclid=Cj0KCQjwi97NBRD1ARIsAPXVWWDzHLTH-m-T3-EgDlSOAgmI2hOB45C3RVo_0AUzAV40stBpnqLAsCIaAsdqEALw_wcB
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'm not sure that's safe enough. Not in Plumstead anyway.
  • Options
    I'm aware that saying this makes me sound like a bit of a prick, and I know that space is at an absolute premium for most - especially in London. But if you value your bike at all, don't leave them outside. Even in a locked, secure shed. They WILL get nicked - it's not even a matter of if. And, once they've been nicked once, their replacements will get nicked. Might not be an issue if you're willing to accept that and have them insured.
  • Options
    edited September 2017

I'm aware that saying this makes me sound like a bit of a prick, and I know that space is at an absolute premium for most - especially in London. But if you value your bike at all, don't leave them outside. Even in a locked, secure shed. They WILL get nicked - it's not even a matter of if. And, once they've been nicked once, their replacements will get nicked. Might not be an issue if you're willing to accept that and have them insured.

Ours are currently in a secure brick garage with a very thick chain , a d-lock and a cable securing them to a motorbike ground mount . I've just been to view the new house and it has a large under stairs cupboard luckily but long term the Asgard may be the way forward.
  • Options
    Cycling in to work and suddenly my bike went all quivery. Steering became juddery. Almost as if the bike was shivering. What on earh causes that? Ended up walking the last mile as the bike felt unrideable.
  • Options
    iainment said:

Cycling in to work and suddenly my bike went all quivery. Steering became juddery. Almost as if the bike was shivering. What on earh causes that? Ended up walking the last mile as the bike felt unrideable.

loose headset.
  • Options

iainment said:

loose headset.
    Thanks, I googled and came up with that. Oh well more money for the lbs.
  • Options
    You can service the headset yourself. There will be a GCN video somewhere that shows you how to do it - it's about a half hour job
  • Options

You can service the headset yourself. There will be a GCN video somewhere that shows you how to do it - it's about a half hour job

You have more faith in me than is warranted!
  • Options
    Haha. Seriously, it's not that difficult. Your only issue might be that your headset bearing is fucked. You can service them, but it's easier to just buy a new one. Of course, it is possible that you have a problem with the steerer tube or your fork, but yleven if that's so, you may as well find out for yourself - you'll learn how to strip and reassemble and save yourself cash in the future.
  • Options
    Thats the one thing I hate about cycling, the bloody maintenance.

I need my front and rear mech indexed properly but havent had time to do it myself and nor have I had any spare weekends to take it to my local LBS. I need to get organised as rode my bike 2-3 times and loved it, now havent been on it for about 6 weeks again!