Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Have you ever influenced a game ?

As the Play off away leg against Ipswich was on a sunday 1.0pm kick off me and a friend who shall remain nameless decided to head off to the bright lights of Ipswich for a pre match saturday night session. When booking into our hotel we noticed the sign above reception " The hotel management extend a warm welcome to the players and officials of Ipwich town football club, good luck tommorow !" it seems that as it was such a big game they were to treat it like an away game. We spotted a few of the players around the hotel and other than a few " your shite" comments behind their backs and the writing of TOWN, TOWN staying down on the pool table chalk board we completely forgot they were there. That was until 3.30am when after getting completely bladdered and failing miserably to pull any local talent we returned to the hotel, as a completely spur of the moment thing (not as if we had spent the last 5 hours planning the whole thing!) we set off the fire alarms and ran to our room. We then set off to the car park with all the other guests trying our hardest to look as if we had been woken up, messing our hair ( yes we had hair then) and pretending to yawn etc. after a 25 minute wait for the fire brigade the poor little Ipwich boys were not impressed and George Burley demanded that staff return inside to grab blankets for his poor little boys. I seem to remember standing next to him and Johnston commenting that " i can't understand what possesess some people to do things like this" We eventualy were allowed back to our rooms at about 5.0am and the rest is history.........
As sky sports reported, yobs had destroyed the teams preperations which lead to them losing 1-0 by an own goal !!!!
All the papers carried the same story but the best was reserved for the monday mornings Star, KIPSWICH, loutish yobs ruin Ipswich Towns play-off dreams !!!
On our return to bexleyheath that night we bumped inti Eddie Youds who after hearing the story bought us a bottle of champagne each.

PS
The Hotel refunded half of our money because of the disruption !!!!!!

Comments

• that is just simply brilliant.

i must be honest, i've seen away teams in the marriot up bexleyheath the night before a big match and been extremely tempted, but have never carried it through. Though i'm not a yob like you !
  • Would that be a loutish yob afka ?
  • True class...
  • thats qulity, can imagine you beaming with pride telling eddie youds.
  • Glass you are a legend....No matter how many times you tell that story (YAWN, YAWN) it just get's better
  • Hillsy, thats the first time its be spoken about outside the circle of trust !!!!
  • That's what I mean, the circle have known about that since it happened....I must be in the circle as I knew about it ages ago.....
  • You are the circle of trust!!
  • I think you should have a stand named after you for that...
  • GHE, that is an excellent story.
  • Sponsored links:

• [quote][cite]Posted By: orpingtonaddick[/cite]I think you should have a stand named after you for that...[/quote]

Orpington, how about the glass half empty stadium ?
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: Glass half empty[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: orpingtonaddick[/cite]I think you should have a stand named after you for that...[/quote]

Orpington, how about the glass half empty stadium ?[/quote]

Or glass half full???
    It has a certain ring to it, but it might get a little confusing me thinks. We could celebrate the anniversary by letting the fire alarm off in the away end at half time.
  • quality LOl !!!!!
  • GHE - you are a legend!
  • That's an absolute disgrace. I trust that the admin on this board will be passing your details onto the Suffolk constabulary in order that they may finally solve this heinous crime and finally bring to justice those responsible. Bring back the birch I say!
  • you must be joking, if it wasn't for GHE, we would never:

of caught Ipswich napping early in the match FACT
    got to wembley or the premiership FACT
    Kept Kinsella FACT
    Rdeveloped the ground FACT

and most important of all

Tarricco wouldn't of got his nose broken FACT

GHE should have the freedom of the Valley
  • Ok ........ sold.
  • genius
  • Lets start the campaign - Freedom of the Valley for GHE!
  • Talking of Taricco - once against Piswich I had the (mis)fortune of getting tickets right in the first row on the halfway line in the East. Now it has to be admitted at this point that I was e-v-e-r s-o s-l-i-g-h-t-l-y the worse for wear for drink, having got pissed up the night before and basically carrying on where I left off Saturday morning.

Every time Taricco went to take a throw in I swore and cursed loudly at him in Spanish. On three occasions he turned round to find me and about ten other bods psising ourselves laughing at him (I took the time to explain the insults to those (un)fortunate enough to be standing around me). The third time he looked ready to deck me, which made everyone laugh even more. He went on to have an absolute mare, was subbed early in the second half and we won - both goals were directly his fault.

Probably a coincidence, but I've always prided myself on my invective having a direct effect on his performance.
  • Sponsored links:

• Ive just wet myself laughing reading that GHE! Very very well done to you!
  • i can confirm this story to be true cos on the day of the match i had a beer before the game with a tired looking GHE and his sidekick , they whispered the story cos there was some local folks about..... very very good
  • edited March 2007
    GHE that's shockingly irresponsible! The fire brigade might have missed dealing with a real emergency call while you were all poncing about outside the hotel. We really shouldn't be condoning such juvenile behaviour.

OK, I admit it it made me laugh as well - especially the bit about Eddie Youds and the champagne
  • Aliwibble,
    you will pleased to know that i still feel guilty and never walk past a fire brigade collection without leaving a hefty amount of coins !!
  • I remember the game at home to Leicester a good few years back, when a lot of us influenced the result.

Brown gave away a penalty and then pretended to be injured, so he wouldn't get sent off.He was red carded whilst on the stretcher if I remember correctly and then we went 1-0 down.

The supporters then threw hundreds of the marketing brochures left on our seats and continued to give the ref serious stick.

He then gave us one of the most dodgy penalties of all time against Benjamin? and we came back to win 2-1.

I managed to get 2 brochures on to the pitch from the Upper North.

I don't think they have continued with that markewting inititiative again.LOL.
  • Pretended to be injured? He broke his leg!
  • Remember being told about the Ipswich game at the home leg pure quality
  • [cite]Posted By: Covered End[/cite]I remember the game at home to Leicester a good few years back, when a lot of us influenced the result.

Brown gave away a penalty and then pretended to be injured, so he wouldn't get sent off.He was red carded whilst on the stretcher if I remember correctly and then we went 1-0 down.

The supporters then threw hundreds of the marketing brochures left on our seats and continued to give the ref serious stick.

He then gave us one of the most dodgy penalties of all time against Benjamin? and we came back to win 2-1.

I managed to get 2 brochures on to the pitch from the Upper North.

I don't think they have continued with that markewting inititiative again.LOL.

I remember this very well, I was sitting right at the front of the North stand, I think more of those brochures hit me than landed on the pitch!!!

Brownie deffinately wasn't faking anything though.
  • [cite]Posted By: DJ Davey Dave[/cite]Pretended to be injured? He broke his leg!

No he never!!! he was back in training on monday... you should have come to City Addicks and let him tell the story.

Stu of SE7 your last statement is incorrect.
  • I refused to throw my brochure as it had a lovely picture of Scottie in it

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11