Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ever not made it to a game because you were drunk?

On the 19th April 1994. We were due to play Middlesbrough away. As it was midweek i had a day off work and was due to travel up to Ayresome Park by the supporters coach with some friends. The coach i think was due to leave about 12pm, so we met in the Golden Lion at about 10.30, and proceeded for the next hour and fifteen minutes to chuck everything down our necks, vodka etc. Just before we left the boozer we brought some MD 20/20(Remember very strong drink in a little bottle) for the journey. We also stopped of at ASDA's for Orange Juice of which we poured Vodka into it. We got on the coach and proceeded to get more drunk. I became worse for wear and threw up many times in the coach toilet. I then was given a black bin liner for the rest of the journey. I think i spouted being travel sick, but not sure. We got to Grantham Services and got out for fresh air. My friend Stevie Eastgate had manged also to throw up over the person in front of him. So apparently we were told to dispose of the drink, which another friend disposed off. Betty Hutchins pushed a few fivers into our hands and then got back on the coach and left us at the Grantham Services. Being very drunk at the time we made the conscious decision to get to Middlesbrough. I had vomit all down my top so i turned it inside out. Steve and i crossed the A1 to the Northbound side and started to hitch hike. We thought we could make it. I was determined as i had been to every game that season. We got a lift from a lorry driver as far as Leeds. We then decided to walk and try and hitch another lift. At this time it was 6pm. We could still make kick off. We walked for about an hour along the hard shoulder of the A1 and then decided to give up and walk home. We were still plastered at this time. We crossed the road again to another services(CRAZY). We nearly stole a gold Mercedes in a last valiant effort to get to the game, but neither new how to hot wire a car. So we gave up on that idea. So we started the long walk home. As we were walking we came across a car on the hard shoulder. A car had stopped to pick us up, they took us into Doncaster. We walked into this pub to ask directions to the train station. The music shut off and we were stared at(Like on the films). We managed to find the train station and got on a London Train and fell asleep. A guard had been around but couldn't wake us up. We had only the money that Betty gave us all of 15 quid. We got home i think about 3am. What a nightmare.

Comments

• Options
    let that be a lesson to you.
  • Options
    did you miss a good game?
    great story.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]did you miss a good game?
    great story.

No, the game was shocking - we lost 2-0 against 10 man.

Funnily enough I was in the Golden Lion on the morning of that game too - so I now know who Canada Addick is.

We never made the coach as it was full up, so me and another fella (Big Pun/Stop Shouting) went up there by train and ended up getting a lift home on the team coach!

I got nicked going into Southampton (The Dell) once for being battered. Was gutted as it was the only game I missed that season.
  • Options
    stevie eastgate - blimey we have a mutual friend.

I haven't but a mate of mine got so pissed before the Palace 1-0 ( fat bird on the pitch) he got on thw wrong train at london bridge on the way to the game fell asleep and woke up in hastings.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]Funnily enough I was in the Golden Lion on the morning of that game too - so I now know who Canada Addick is.

Is that nice but dim Tony?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]No, the game was shocking - we lost 2-0 against 10 man.

Funnily enough I was in the Golden Lion on the morning of that game too - so I now know who Canada Addick is.

We never made the coach as it was full up, so me and another fella (Big Pun/Stop Shouting) went up there by train and ended up getting a lift home on the team coach!

Tony is that you?
  • Options
    Canada, Tony is stop shouting, i believe.

Off It is a long term partner in crime of his (i've heard the bad influence) :-)
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]We never made the coach as it was full up, so me and another fella (Big Pun/Stop Shouting) went up there by train and ended up getting a lift home on the team coach!

I remember that. Why did we make that conscious decision to all get sh*t faced? Steve and i were slagged off in the next issue of VOTV.