Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

PFA Chairman Gordon Taylor in Gambling Revelations

The Sun reports that Taylor, who's annual salary is in excess of £1 million was recently 'chased' by a firm of bookmakers for an unpaid gambling debt of some £100,000.
The newspaper states that over the past 30 months, Taylor has wagered money, mostly on horse racing and football, totalling £4 million on over 2,000 bets.

'There is a culture of betting in football. It's time the players' union backed a zero tolerance stance against betting' ... said Taylor in 2010.

Taylor is a wealthy man as well as a hypocrite it seems. How he spends his money is up to him. However, for a man who has considerable influence over players and football clubs to be wagering thousands of pounds on the results of football matches is wrong, full stop.
Can we ever really trust any result in any sport? .. I say in 'serious' jest .. those sportsmen who are not taking drugs are up to their Adam's Apples in gambling debts ...... only joking

Comments

• Options
    Found it pretty disgusting to be honest. And sad to see how gambling can grip people to such an extent.
  • Options

Found it pretty disgusting to be honest. And sad to see how gambling can grip people to such an extent.

exactly .. Taylor has surely 'brought the game into disrepute' .. what action will be taken I wonder? ... I would give him a max of 6 months more in the job. He's 68, and will go, probably on grounds of 'ill health' or to 'spend more time gardening with the family' .. we will see
  • Options
    Never, ever seen that man smile. 1 million quid a year, I'd never stop laughing.
  • Options
    If he has a gambling problem/addiction expecting him to be coherent and consistent about the issue is fruitless. Until he gets and uses help to become "clean" and bet free.

He's right though there should be a zero tolerance against sports people gambling. I'd go as far as to say there should be no tie ups with gambling - no sponsorship deals with clubs and no gambling ads during broadcast sport as a minimum.
  • Options
    Whilst the amount of debt he has (100k) will obviously seem a lot to the average man in the street, i think you have to bear in mind his salary. The guy earns 1m a year.

So in the 30 months it says he's racked up a 100k debt, he's actually earned 2.6m in wages.

doubt he's struggling too much.
  • Options

Whilst the amount of debt he has (100k) will obviously seem a lot to the average man in the street, i think you have to bear in mind his salary. The guy earns 1m a year.

So in the 30 months it says he's racked up a 100k debt, he's actually earned 2.6m in wages.

doubt he's struggling too much.

not really the point though is it ?
  • Options
    No it's not the point.

This is obviously a significant credibility issue and he can't preach against something when he's betting himself but i feel more is definitely being made of it because of the amount.

If it was 2k would it even be news.
  • Options
    There was a time, maybe 23 years or so ago when I had a bit of time for Gordon Taylor. When i helped out on RTM with Mark Mansfield, he gave me more than 20 minutes on the phone, knowing it could all be used on air, and he never once questioned my journalistic credentials (which of course were zero). Fair play. But the money he has been paid, it's just beyond the pale, and he has become a caricature of himself in the process. This is the final nail.
  • Options

No it's not the point.

This is obviously a significant credibility issue and he can't preach against something when he's betting himself but i feel more is definitely being made of it because of the amount.

If it was 2k would it even be news.

I agree, 2k, who gives a fig ! .. however, during the period in question, during which, as you say, he had wages of 2.6 million, he wagered a reported 4 million, if this includes the 100 grand or not is unclear from the report ... most of the 4 million was losses (reportedly) and 2k or not 2k, the monies being talked of is a large lump of cash in anyone's language .. so your point that 'more is being made of it ... &c' .. is not strictly accurate, it is the overall losses compared to the income which is the apposite point here.
  • Options
    I'm not surprised. I've never liked the bloke. How he can accept his £1M pa salary is beyond me. Tantamount to theft in my book. (yes I know I would accept it, but that's not the point :-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I'm not surprised. I've never liked the bloke. How he can accept his £1M pa salary is beyond me. Tantamount to theft in my book. (yes I know I would accept it, but that's not the point :-)

a rare occurrence .. we AGREE !!!!
  • Options
    typical union leader - do as I say, not as I do.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

typical union leader - do as I say, not as I do.

. . . and politicians (all parties) . . . and priests . . . and police chiefs . . . and teachers . . .
  • Options
    Agree entirely about gambling advertising in sport. It should be banned. Interestingly the yanks have a slightly better approach to it than we do (probably as a result of the black sox and other betting scandals like the Pete Rose debacle). For years, the nfl, nba and nhl (not so much mlb) have been looking at putting an expansion franchise in Vegas, but it never gets anywhere because they're so leery of the association with gambling (and organised crime).
  • Options
    iainment said:

If he has a gambling problem/addiction expecting him to be coherent and consistent about the issue is fruitless. Until he gets and uses help to become "clean" and bet free.

He's right though there should be a zero tolerance against sports people gambling. I'd go as far as to say there should be no tie ups with gambling - no sponsorship deals with clubs and no gambling ads during broadcast sport as a minimum.

The Sky Bet Football League...
  • Options

iainment said:

The Sky Bet Football League...
    There are currently two 'growth sectors' in the British economy: Gambling companies and money lenders/pawn brokers .. like love and marriage it seems the two go together like a horse and carriage (let's have a gamble on the trotting lol) .. you can't have one without the other.
    I have lost track of the number of clubs which are owned and / or sponsored by bookies or money lenders Stoke City is owned by one of the most prominent .. the outfit who pay Ray (f***Ing) Winstone loadsamoney to say:'free six five get awn it' during every conceivable advert break .. for my part I have made a vow NEVER to bet wiv freesix5.con ..
  • Options
    Smells wrong.
  • Options
    How does he owe? Bookies want their cash up front.
  • Options

How does he owe? Bookies want their cash up front.

No they don't. It's called credit.

Let's say he regularly bets with a firm (there is one particular one that caters for high net worth clients and in particular footballers) and he has an established relationship. They start off with say £10K credit which he settles straightaway. Then the same happens with £20K and then £30k etc etc 'til it reaches £100K. He then disputes a bet and refuses to pay or says he hasn't got the money.
  • Options
    Always been underwhelmed whenever I've seen him speak. Can't even begin to understand how his "contribution" to the world of football justifies his compensation. Yet another example of Football's lack of governance.

• Sponsored links:

• Options

Always been underwhelmed whenever I've seen him speak. Can't even begin to understand how his "contribution" to the world of football justifies his compensation. Yet another example of Football's lack of governance.

And living in an unreal world

• Options
    Even if the bloke does get paid £1million a year, that's "only" going to be about £600k after tax etc. Even on that sort of dough, betting £4million in just 30 months takes some doing.

It may be "only" £100k the bookie is after him for, but if he's got that sort of habit then he's probably lost a hell of a lot more than that.

I guess he's in the same position as his members. Gets paid a shitload of money and spends most of his time doing fcuk all. A bookies dream.
  • Options
    It's absolutely fucking obscene, all of it. I'm starting to think ww3 might be a pretty good idea.
  • Options
    Off_it said:

Even if the bloke does get paid £1million a year, that's "only" going to be about £600k after tax etc. Even on that sort of dough, betting £4million in just 30 months takes some doing.

It may be "only" £100k the bookie is after him for, but if he's got that sort of habit then he's probably lost a hell of a lot more than that.

I guess he's in the same position as his members. Gets paid a shitload of money and spends most of his time doing fcuk all. A bookies dream.

Don't know about him doing fcuk all, you can normally find him in the press defending the latest atrocity committed by his members, that sure keeps him busy!
  • Options
    A PFA spokesman has stated that: 'Mr Taylor's gambling is a personal matter for him alone and will not impinge on his ability to run this union in the best interests of its members' (I paraphrase) .. well, that's alright then .. except that it certainly isn't
  • Options

It's absolutely fucking obscene, all of it. I'm starting to think ww3 might be a pretty good idea.

Trouble is it will be the poor buggers who are already at the bottom of the food chain in the front line, and the greedy tax avoiders who started all this shit sat at home making profit out of it mate...