Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Gareth Southgate named England Under-21 boss

New under 21 coach and oversees coaching down to under 16s. There wasn't much hope before, there is none now.

We are doomed anyway but what is this bloke going to do bar nod his head and say yes to everyone at the fa? Although therein probably lies the answer of why he was appointed.

Comments

• Think the FA just need to be sacked to be honest they clearly don't get it. I personally think the best person for the job would've been Steve McLaren but doubt he would get it. Failing that scout the country for the best / most successful youth coach. I don't know what Southgate has achieved in management or coaching for anyone to think he would be a good idea.
  • I can't think of a less exciting appointment the Gareth Southgate. I hope he does well for England's sake but i somehow doubt it.
  • Gonna end in tears
  • He wants a pizz of the action
  • Does this mean he wont be on the telly any more?
  • Jobs for the boys, as usual.
  • Well the U21's team are treated as a bit of a joke so I don't see why the management shouldn't be as well.
  • Oh dear.
  • All got a good idea of Southgate's coaching ability? Club and international management are two very different things. He is obviously very highly thought of at the FA. We shall see.
  • Sponsored links:

• Should have been Hoddle.
  • CAFCsayer said:

Should have been Hoddle.

Hoddle should be the Main team manager.
  • Rob62 said:

All got a good idea of Southgate's coaching ability? Club and international management are two very different things. He is obviously very highly thought of at the FA. We shall see.

Well all we have to go is the fact that he took over an established premier league side who'd just reached the UEFA cup final and within a couple of years had got them relegated. So on that evidence i'll conclude that his coaching ability isn't great.
  • Rob62 said:

All got a good idea of Southgate's coaching ability? Club and international management are two very different things. He is obviously very highly thought of at the FA. We shall see.

Well all we have to go is the fact that he took over an established premier league side who'd just reached the UEFA cup final and within a couple of years had got them relegated. So on that evidence i'll conclude that his coaching ability isn't great.
    Yeah, he certainly was not a success at Boro. That was some time ago now though. He must have done something right to be so highly rated.
  • So Hoddle is allowed to fail at club level but southgate isn't?
  • Think some are just letting their idea of him as a pundit get in the way.
  • edited August 2013

He wants a pizz of the action

Don't - its still too painful, too raw....

Bloody Andreas Moller.

• cafctom said:

Think some are just letting their idea of him as a pundit get in the way.

Well not just that, he failed in his only ever managerial role, was sacked (4 years ago) and hasn't managed since.
    He must've talked a very good game in his interview because there's no other reason to give it to him
  • Well U21 England coach isn't exactly the most desirable or ambitious job is it? Its pretty much designed for former England players who have struggled to adapt to managing at club level and want a job. I would have it down as the equivalent of managing an average League One side.

The players may be of upper Championship/lower Prem level but there's no responsibility of regular training, transfers, high fan expectation etc.

In other words, its a bit of a pocksy job!
  • Pocksy job or not Tom the FA seem to be giving the jobs to so called safe candidates,god forbid we take a risk ,or are we going on the theme of miss a penalty in a major championship shoot out and you will be given redemption as U21 manager, next on the rank Chris Waddle perhaps.
    No offence to these guys, Pearce was one of my favourite England defenders, never shied away from a tackle and Southgate was a good solid defender , but quality managers or even innovative managers, really?
    The problem is who do they give it too, I'm trying to think of an innovative English manager and there are not that many around. Do they take a risk with say a recently retired pro like Gary Neville,Phil Neville or Jamie Carragher or drag one of the old stagers out like Hoddle or even Venables (not that the FA would be likely to do that)