Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

A Rod not getting a lot of love from opposing fans or players at the moment

He gets paid about £380,000 a week but I still feel a little bit sorry for him!

thedailybeast.com/videos/2013/08/19/a-rod-hit-by-pitch-in-boston.html#comments

Comments

• He'll have plenty of time to rest and heal up (and spend his millions) when his appeal fails and he has 200 games to think about what he's done!
  • edited August 2013
    Feckin hell how can you get that excited over a game of rounders?
  • I have no idea what that was about. he throws it, it hits the other bloke. I would presume making it a dead ball. the umpire started pointing and then everyone seemed to get upset.
  • He is a piece of work, so screw him.

• edited August 2013

I have no idea what that was about. he throws it, it hits the other bloke. I would presume making it a dead ball. the umpire started pointing and then everyone seemed to get upset.

If a pitcher hits a batter (the batter must try to get out of the way - ie he can't let himself get hit deliberately) the batter is awarded a walk to first base. However, if the ump reckons the pitcher hit the batter deliberately, he can chuck him out of the game.
    The ump here decided to warn both teams not to do it again. Joe Girardi (Yanks manager) thought the pitcher should've been "tossed" ( American slang for "sent off", if you will) and remonstrated to the point where he himself got tossed.

Now, I'm a Boston Redsox fan, but Girardi was right. Dempster deserved to get tossed, but A-Rod is a fucking cunt who takes PEDs, stitched up his fellow pros, has previous, has been obstructing the investigation and is now playing the system so he can keep playing and keep collecting his $86 MILLION wages over the next four (I think) years. Dempster is one of many players who are seriously unhappy with what A-Hole has done and so he sent a public message to the cheating prick in the biggest rivalry game there is (Redsox v Yankees). Dempster pleaded innocence afterwards, saying it was just a wild pitch, but we all know what he was doing and most fans were cheering him on, regardless of affiliation. Dempster has received a 5 game ban retrospectively.
    The other shame of it is that the incident backfired on the Red Sox and seemed to fire the Yanks (and A-Hole in particular) up. The Yanks came from behind to win the game, the comeback started by a home run from the cheater himself. Pity.
  • I used to play this game when I was 8
  • thanks for explain it lordromford.

and also for why the pitcher did it in the first place. sounds like this a rod guy deserved a bat thrown at him.
  • Pony sport
  • A-Rod is one of the biggest arseholes in sport. As a Red Sox fan, I find it hilarious. As for the predictable comments about baseball in general, I have never been able to understand why people who don't like a particular sport would waste their time going on about it.
  • A-Rod is one of the biggest arseholes in sport. As a Red Sox fan, I find it hilarious. As for the predictable comments about baseball in general, I have never been able to understand why people who don't like a particular sport would waste their time going on about it.

This. Absolutely.
  • Sponsored links:

• I have not followed Baseball for a while but when I lived in Canada I got right into it, it's a very addictive game and much more nuanced than people realise.
  • Red Sox Nation invade CL
  • Red Sox Nation invade CL

Yep, & I'm another member of RSN.
  • Altogher now RSN Addicks (courtesy of The Standells)

I'm gonna tell you a story
    I'm gonna tell you about my town
    I'm gonna tell you a big bad story, baby
    Aww, it's all about my town

Yeah, down by the river
    Down by the banks of the river Thames (aw, that's what's happenin' baby)
    That's where you'll find me
    Along with lovers, fuggers, and thieves (aw, but they're cool people)
    Well I love that dirty water
    Oh, Charlton, you're my home (oh, you're the Number One place)
    Frustrated women (I mean they're frustrated)
    Have to be in by twelve o'clock (oh, that's a shame)
    But I'm wishin' and a-hopin, oh
    That just once those doors weren't locked (I like to save time for
    my baby to walk around)
    Well I love that dirty water
    Oh, Charlton, you're my home (oh, yeah)

Because I love that dirty water
    Oh, oh, Charlton, you're my home (oh, yeah)

Well, I love that dirty water (I love it, baby)
    I love that dirty water (I love Baw-stun)
    I love that dirty water (Have you heard about the Mystery owners?)
    I love that dirty water (I'm the man, I'm the man)
    I love that dirty water (Owww!)
    I love that dirty water (Come on, come on)

• Baseballs great.

I used to go watch the Pittsburgh Pirates when i lived out there, they were absolutely terrible. The best part for their fans was the M&M race during the innings change. Its the same type of atmosphere as cricket but instead of beer its coke and hotdogs.
  • If a pitcher hits a batter (the batter must try to get out of the way - ie he can't let himself get hit deliberately) the batter is awarded a walk to first base. However, if the ump reckons the pitcher hit the batter deliberately, he can chuck him out of the game.
    Can't imagine many batters let themselves get hit deliberately by a baseball travelling between 95 and 100mph.

Giants fan here going to see the West Coast grudge match on Sept. 24, SF Giants vs LA Dodgers (even if the Giants, as defending champions, are playing crap at the moment).
  • Had to look this up, having guessed wrongly that A Rod was short for Andy Roddick!
    So to summarise, this A-Rod is appealing a 211-game ban for using "performance enhancing drugs" to play baseball. And opposing supporters are getting on his case and he got hit by a baseball - aah bless!
    That's weird though, I thought drug use in baseball was endemic: a bit like the Godolphin Stables but for humans. (In fact the 2007 Mitchell Report named 89 - yes 89 - MLB druggies. And people still pay to watch this stuff?)
    It's an odd sport that makes a 4-day county cricket match look exciting. As far as I can tell it's played by guys who are fat enough to get a lot of weight behind their hit but not fat enough to be an NFL lineman.
  • edited August 2013

If a pitcher hits a batter (the batter must try to get out of the way - ie he can't let himself get hit deliberately) the batter is awarded a walk to first base. However, if the ump reckons the pitcher hit the batter deliberately, he can chuck him out of the game.
    Can't imagine many batters let themselves get hit deliberately by a baseball travelling between 95 and 100mph.

No, but if there is the reward of a free walk to 1st base for allowing your well padded arm to be hit, they might. That's why the rule is there.
    cafcfan said:

Had to look this up, having guessed wrongly that A Rod was short for Andy Roddick!
    So to summarise, this A-Rod is appealing a 211-game ban for using "performance enhancing drugs" to play baseball. And opposing supporters are getting on his case and he got hit by a baseball - aah bless!
    That's weird though, I thought drug use in baseball was endemic: a bit like the Godolphin Stables but for humans. (In fact the 2007 Mitchell Report named 89 - yes 89 - MLB druggies. And people still pay to watch this stuff?)
    It's an odd sport that makes a 4-day county cricket match look exciting. As far as I can tell it's played by guys who are fat enough to get a lot of weight behind their hit but not fat enough to be an NFL lineman.

You're not alone in thinking drug use is endemic. This is, in fact, one of the major reasons that so many honest players are so fucked off with A-Rod, because they recognise the need to clean up the image of baseball. There's a much larger movement to clean the sport up now, after the steroid era pre-2010, so A-Rod and the like constantly thumbing their noses at these efforts is potentially highly damaging.
    There are some who say he'll be over punished in order to scapegoat him, but I would firstly say this was a good thing for the benefit of the game and secondly, I've seen no evidence of this.

One thing's for sure, the game's cleaner than it was, but it's not clean yet. And it needs more people at the top of the game (players and administrators) doing more than they are to stamp it out.
  • I like the Yankees but agree with most comments about A-Rod. Certainly not a team player or fan favourite. He's a clubhouse cancer and is now caught up again with drug use. Baseball is trying to clean up it's image and I think most people thought that we had seen the worst of it. So frustrating for players/fans alike. I don't have much sympathy for him. What makes it worse is that he could with another 3-4 years of injury free baseball break the home run record. A tarnished record currently held by Barry Bonds. It seems that no matter what the sport authorities do, like some female athletics world records set in the 1980' & '90s, the home run record will stand as a permanent reminder of widespread and unchecked drug use. He should do the decent thing and walk away from the sport that his given him so much........
  • If a pitcher hits a batter (the batter must try to get out of the way - ie he can't let himself get hit deliberately) the batter is awarded a walk to first base. However, if the ump reckons the pitcher hit the batter deliberately, he can chuck him out of the game.

Giants fan here going to see the West Coast grudge match on Sept. 24, SF Giants vs LA Dodgers (even if the Giants, as defending champions, are playing crap at the moment).

Lucky swine! Think of me when you are tucking into your garlic fries...

Go Giants!
  • Sponsored links:

• Of all the American sports , baseball is the one that I would like to get into.
    One day I will sit down and learn the rules and give a game a go.
  • Of all the American sports , baseball is the one that I would like to get into.
    One day I will sit down and learn the rules and give a game a go.

You know what, I nearly didn't get into it because I didn't understand the rules. But actually, there's an awful lot of jargon, terms, abbreviations and weird technical rules that are alien to start with, but you start to pick up as you go along.

To start enjoying the game, all you need to know are these basics:
    Three outs per inning. Nine innings.
    If the pitch is outside the Strike Zone AND you don't swing, it's a "Ball". Four Balls and you get a walk to 1st base. (You'll see what the Strike Zone is as soon as you watch on telly, they show it regularly)
    It's a Strike if you swing and miss, hit the ball foul (out of bounds behind) or the ball passes through the Strike Zone whether you swing or not.
    Three strikes and you're out (but importantly, you can't be out on a foul ball.)
    You can also be out caught or by a fielder getting to your base with the ball before you get there. (There are others, but worry about them later!)
    Hit the ball in play, don't get caught and reach a base before a fielder gets there with the ball and you get a Base Hit.
    One last thing, the scoreboard. If, for example, it looks like this:
    0 0 1 0 2 0 3 2 0 _ 8 13 0
    2 2 0 0 1 0 0 4 X _ 9 12 1
    The top team is the away team. The first 9 columns of numbers are the scores in each inning, so in the fifth inning the visitors scored 2 and the home team scored 1. Notice there is an X at the bottom of the 9th - this is because the home team have already won, so dont need to bat their 9th inning. The last three columns are Score, Hits and Errors. You don't get anything for hits or errors, it just further informs the spectators.

That's it. There's tons of other stuff about Double and Triple Plays, Stealing Bases, Tagging Out, Pinch Hitting, Pinch Running, OBP, Batting Average, Bunts, Balks, Errors and so on. Give it a go and you'll start getting to grips with it in no time.
  • I learned the rules and a lot of the jargon playing "stick baseball". Is it on TV at all?
  • McBobbin said:

I learned the rules and a lot of the jargon playing "stick baseball". Is it on TV at all?

ESPN show live games and re-runs of whole games pretty every evening and through the night. You can get highlights on line MLB.com in the mornings a few hours after games have finished.
  • Am I right in thinking the period when Barry Bonds et al were doping, it wasn't against the rules?
  • In those days it was tolerated as long as the players didn´t forget to take the syringe out of their their arm before running out onto the field.
  • McBobbin said:

I learned the rules and a lot of the jargon playing "stick baseball". Is it on TV at all?

ESPN show live games and re-runs of whole games pretty every evening and through the night. You can get highlights on line MLB.com in the mornings a few hours after games have finished.
    Cheers
  • It's nice to see so many members of RSN over here.

With regards to A-Roid, he has been made the poster boy for steroids but people should also be looking at Ryan Braun. Both should have been banned for life as they are scumbags who have flaunted the rules for many years. He is also owed $110m on his contract. If the ban is enforced the Yankees could well veto what is left.

Did A-Roid deserve to be hit. Yes. I think 99% of the people in the stadium, including his own team were pleased to see Dempster go after him.

Dempster should have been tossed. Any other player he would have gone for that (I'm just disappointed it took him 3 or 4 goes to get it right).

Girardi had to go as you have to respect the umpire.

I love baseball and the sooner people like Braun, A-Rod etc are gone the better.
  • McBobbin said:

McBobbin said:

Cheers
    I've had league pass the last 3 seasons, and if I'm not mistaken, they've got a "MLB.TV Game of the Day" every single day, which is a game you can watch for free on your computer, iPad, iPhone, Android, ps3 or xbox :)
    MLB.TV is quality by the way!
  • Tomorrow's free game: