Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

World Cup Tickets On Sale Today

Anyone on here serious about going? I am looking to go and have set aside money for this, I'm not keen on travelling all of Brazil and ideally just want to make base in Rio and watch every live match there and all the others on TV whilst taking in the atmosphere/culture/alcohol. Would like some information on people that have been to Brazil and I'm interested if anyone has serious plans similar to mine as yet to plan anything and also don't know if packages would be worthwhile.

Comments

• Went to Rio in March though was a work incentive winners trip so everything was pretty much laid on (i.e. didnt really have to arrange bars / restaurants etc... myself)

One day did have a free day in the City and it seems a really nice (overly) relaxed place, i.e. went to one place for a pizza and the bloke took an age just writing the order (had to chase a few times too), there is always Volleyball / Soccer going on at one of the beaches but be warned the sand is extremely hot if you go on barefoot.

I hope my small guide has been able to help a little bit - Am sure others have been and will be able offer better opinions than myself
  • I'll be interested to see how many CL'ers get any tickets at all through public sources (i.e not corporate). I only got WC2006/ EC2008 tickets with corporate help. EC2012 website I could not even get to load, ever. All I wanted to do was try and get tickets for a Czech game, and in the end they were not even sold out. Whereas I got Olympic tickets through the website ok. Just shows you what a good job we did on the Olympics and what a stinking mess the football tournaments are.
  • I'm planning a similar trip to you Forza, but luckily have a friend in Rio, so that makes it cheaper for me in terms of accomodation. You can get stadium specific tickets for all the games in that stadium, so it might be worth applying for that through the site tomorrow if you won't be doing much travelling - or even just apply for individual tickets to the games before the draw is made, not knowing who will be playing. Though there is always the risks of paying extortionate amounts to see South Korea vs Australia or something....

If you join Englandfans, you should be able to get tickets for England games ok (provided we qualify), as given the distance and cost of getting there, the allocation should be fine.

It should be good fun though, if expensive. I'm hoping England firstly qualify, and then are in either groups H or B, as they would then have a chance of playing in Sao Paolo and Rio for the group games. The fact that groups aren't tied to geographic areas is scandalous, the distance between some of the venues is crazy, particularly in a country with no train system!

I'm told that if you are going to travel, book internal flights as soon as the draw is made as these will soon rocket, whilst the flights there shouldn't change in price too much. Though as they are currently £850 at best via Lisbon, I'm not sure how true that is!

Looking forward to it!
  • I'm looking to head out there, closer for me then the rest of you lot as i would come from Toronto. I'd probably backpack a month in South America before i end up in Brazil for the game but definitely looking to go and will be applying for tix tomorrow.
  • edited August 2013
    Thanks for the info, currently I've still got loads of people saying they would be interested but nothing concrete which is annoying. I should have made myself clear but not interested in watching England as I don't support them (Italy) and even then I'm someone who believes things like the World Cup are about watching everyone and if your team does well it's a bonus so not fussed about travelling Brazil.
  • Got my tickets! 5 matches in Rio - 4 Group games and 1 Round of 16. Only problem is that now my mate is getting cold feet about going which sucks. Anyone else strike lucky yet?
  • very nice mate, what an experience. So you have the games but you dont know who's playing yet? Can you exchange with other ticket holders?
  • Congrats mate, absolute trip of a lifetime that is. Hope you get a decent group draw. If you mate turns his nose up at that opportunity then I then you really need to consider whether he is actually the type of person you want as a friend!

I'll be interested to see how many CL'ers get any tickets at all through public sources (i.e not corporate). I only got WC2006/ EC2008 tickets with corporate help. EC2012 website I could not even get to load, ever. All I wanted to do was try and get tickets for a Czech game, and in the end they were not even sold out. Whereas I got Olympic tickets through the website ok. Just shows you what a good job we did on the Olympics and what a stinking mess the football tournaments are.

Surprised to read that. I got tickets for England vs Paraguay at WC06 through the FIFA website and I know plenty of others who got tickets for that and other games.

Euro 2012 you could buy tickets for a lot of games off the UEFA website a few days in advance. I was very close to going to the England vs Italy match but got put off by the flight costs. The tickets were just sitting there waiting to be bought on the Thursday before the game.
  • My son in law has a contract to work in the stadiums for the World Cup in Brazil. They used the recent Confederations Cup as a dummy run so they are all set for the main event.

They get to see all the games for free as well as part of the contract.
  • edited November 2013

very nice mate, what an experience. So you have the games but you dont know who's playing yet? Can you exchange with other ticket holders?

Exactly got the Venue series package which gives me 5 games in Rio for £300 very good value I think, yeah I won't know who's playing yet but I think having worked out theres a good chance of getting a couple of top teams at least. Apparently you can exchange the tickets for someone else to come but out of all my friends he was the only one at the time I could convince to come so might be if he doesn't go I can't go which sucks because I've said all along that (within reason) I don't care who I go with as long as I get to go to the World Cup.
    MrLargo said:

Congrats mate, absolute trip of a lifetime that is. Hope you get a decent group draw. If you mate turns his nose up at that opportunity then I then you really need to consider whether he is actually the type of person you want as a friend!

Cheers mate, and yes I shall I have to consider my friendship with him if he decides not to come! Also because he is dallying I haven't booked any flights or hotels yet which is maybe a bit worrying, I have some money set aside for the inflated prices but if they become stupid i.e. well over £1,000 for flights and £500 per night to stay then theres no way I'd be able to afford it.

My son in law has a contract to work in the stadiums for the World Cup in Brazil. They used the recent Confederations Cup as a dummy run so they are all set for the main event.

They get to see all the games for free as well as part of the contract.

Very jealous.
  • Sponsored links:

• have you thought about an "away day boat" to get out there, see how pissed you can get on the way.
  • Got my tickets! 5 matches in Rio - 4 Group games and 1 Round of 16. Only problem is that now my mate is getting cold feet about going which sucks. Anyone else strike lucky yet?

Did the same in 2002 and, purely by chance, the last 16 game turned out to be South Korea v Italy in South Korea - fantastic night. I also, again by chance, got the England v Brazil QF in Japan which wasn't nearly such a memorable experience. Hope you get good luck with the draw.

• OK so it's getting closer to the time and I need to make a decision on what to do, currently I have 2 World Cup tickets each for: Spain vs Chile, France vs Ecuador, Argentina vs Bosnia, Belgium vs Russia and the winner of Group C vs runner up in Group D - all based in Rio.

I've still got no one to go with since my friend pulled out and I have no one else who wants to go. I am desperate to go to a World Cup and would also like to see Brazil but probably wouldn't go there without the World Cup as a push.

I haven't booked my flights or accommodation yet so I feel like I should either send my tickets back to FIFA, sell them 3rd party or keep trying to find someone to go with but I think I have exhausted this option, point blank I'll ask now does anyone on here have a serious interest in going? I'm sceptical about asking around on the net but if there is any forum I would ask on it would be this one.

Any help or advice on it would be much appreciated as I'm starting to run out of time to decide.
  • if ever there was a holiday to take going solo it would be this one.
    There will be so many people all with the same interests.

You are bound to meet people throughout the city wherever you go.
    With plenty of fan events etc.

There is nothing like football, or a bar with a pool table for meeting people.

I was apprehensive going island hopping in Thailand for a month after I took redundancy a few years ago, but I met many people just through watching football on the tv in the bars.

Do a bit of planning, research the areas backpackers/travellers go in the city and you will be laughing.

I would go for it mate.
  • Are there still actually flights available ?
  • I agree with MrOneLung......go alone and you wont regret it.
  • I've been travelling around different places each summer for the last 10 years... Always on my own and absolutely love it.

You meet some great people and it gives you the ability to do what you want, when you want, without having to rely on ensuring the other people your with are enjoying themselves too
  • edited January 2014

OK so it's getting closer to the time and I need to make a decision on what to do, currently I have 2 World Cup tickets each for: Spain vs Chile, France vs Ecuador, Argentina vs Bosnia, Belgium vs Russia and the winner of Group C vs runner up in Group D - all based in Rio.

I've still got no one to go with since my friend pulled out and I have no one else who wants to go. I am desperate to go to a World Cup and would also like to see Brazil but probably wouldn't go there without the World Cup as a push.

I haven't booked my flights or accommodation yet so I feel like I should either send my tickets back to FIFA, sell them 3rd party or keep trying to find someone to go with but I think I have exhausted this option, point blank I'll ask now does anyone on here have a serious interest in going? I'm sceptical about asking around on the net but if there is any forum I would ask on it would be this one.

Any help or advice on it would be much appreciated as I'm starting to run out of time to decide.

I'm going. Going Sao Pao, belo Horizonte and rio.
  • if you're struggling for somewhere to stay, a dedicated site has been set up for the tournament, pretty cheap compared to the hotels, and they provide the tents http://www.worldcupcampingrio.com/
  • Had a small epiphany a few nights back over a beer or 8 with a few mates and now i'm kind of serious about trying to go, whether it be on my own or if i can rally some troops. Just feel it will be amazing to go and soak up the atmosphere for a week or so and i intend to get tickets for either the Uruguay game or the Italy game as I have to work around Glastonbury too and don't want to risk getting tickets for 2nd round or QTR as, well, it is England! Nothings guaranteed.

Unfortunately the £90 tickets aren't available on the FIFA website so looks like I'm going to have to find somewhere else to buy a ticket at a much inflated price! But with my student loan just coming in I guess its what the govt toffs would want it to be spent on!

Anyone know of any reliable sites or had any luck getting tickets other ways?

Football-best-tickets website seems to be popping up a lot but need to do some research on if its legit, anyone on here used it before and can confirm? Not done anything like this before in all honesty.

Just wanna experience it all, world cups in south america are said to be the best and there hasn't been one in my lifetime yet so it really is a once in a lifetime chance! Got a very funny feeling about us doing well this year anyway, shall do all i can to get behind the woys boys! Hope I make it!
  • Sponsored links:

• Wish I had done that when younger. An sure you will be able to acquire one over there.