Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Wimbledon champion Marion Bartoli announces her retirement

wow, big shock.
Beaten by Halep.................image
Wimbledon champion Marion Bartoli is retiring from tennis just 40 days after winning her only Grand Slam title.
The 28-year-old Frenchwoman, ranked seventh in the world, said she was taking the decision with immediate effect because of persistent injuries.
She made the tearful announcement at a media conference following defeat by Simona Halep at the Western and Southern Open in Cincinnati.
"It's time for me to retire and to call it a career," she told reporters.
"I feel it's time for me to walk away."
Bartoli, who beat Germany's Sabine Lisicki in the Wimbledon final in July, said her Achilles, shoulder, hip and lower back hurt continually when she plays.
Most Grand Slam tournaments before first win
47 - Marion Bartoli (2013 Wimbledon)
45 - Jana Novotna (1998 Wimbledon)
39 - Francesca Schiavone (2010 French Open)
34 - Sam Stosur (2011 US Open)
32 - Amelie Mauresmo (2006 Australian Open)
She added: "It's never easy... but that was actually the last match of my career. I just can't do it anymore."
After her 6-1 6-4 win at Wimbledon, Bartoli hinted that the physical demands of the sport were taking their toll. "That was probably the last little bit of something that was left inside me," she on Wednesday.
The 2007 Wimbledon runner-up had won her first Grand Slam at the 47th attempt - the longest wait in women's tennis before a maiden Grand Slam.
She had returned from her Wimbledon triumph to play in Toronto last week and was playing her first match in Cincinnati having received a first-round bye.
Play media

Wimbledon 2013: Bartoli wins Wimbledon title
However, the 3-6 6-4 6-1 loss to Halep appears to have been the last straw.
"It's been a tough decision to take," she added. "I've been a tennis player for a long time and I had the chance to make my biggest dream a reality.
"You know, everyone will remember my Wimbledon title. No-one will remember the last match I played here.
"I made my dream a reality and it will stay forever with me, but now my body just can't cope with everything."
WTA chairman and chief executive Stacey Allaster paid tribute to Bartoli's "long, successful career".
"She is an inspirational champion and a great ambassador for women's tennis who has dedicated her life to the sport and given so much back to the game," she said.
"I am so proud of her for who she is, her values and for fighting to realise her dream of winning Wimbledon."

Comments

• Options
    Well good luck to the young lady it was great that she was able to fulfill her dream and win Wimbledon. On another note Halep has a really nice pair of puppies!
  • Options
    So pleased that she won Wimbledon,you can't achieve anything higher in Tennis.

A shame she did not retire after the final good luck Marion.
  • Options
    John Inverdale will be pleased
  • Options
    she was determined to win a g/slam before she retired. A nice young lady who has 'gone out at the top' .. good luck to her
  • Options
    A massive shock, surely she'd want to come back as Wimbledon champion? To not even play the US open shows how dramatically her motivation has gone

On a different note Simona Halep no longer looks like that, as she had them reduced...

• Options
    So you've included a photo of another players tits to illustrate this thread. Nice touch.

I really really like Bartoli for the same reasons I like AM - no bs, focus on the tennis and to hell with everyone else. Not another little blonde barbie doll. Good luck to her.
  • Options
    Can someone show me a before and after picture of Halep so we can see who really beat Bartoli