Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

NEW ARTICLE: Boardroom rocked by a new, loud Voice

13»

Comments

• edited August 2013
    Stig said:

It's good to see a balanced article taking in both sides of the story. I've been struggling for a long time with my view on how the club is run. It's so difficult to get a feel for the truth with the board being so uncommunicative. Over time though, I do find myself more and more drawn towards Airman's arguments. I've tried to do a sort of force-field analysis to get a better understanding. It's by no means perfect and the scores are merely my view on how significant/important certain things are (as we all know from Statbank people certainly score things differently). As I see things though, the board certainly seem to be getting deeper into debt on the good guys/bad guys balance:

But looking at your score weightings, I'd say appointing CP, Squad strengthening, 101 points, Academy, Good Finish last season - if you are to compare them with the weightings you have given some negative aspects, these ought to be 2 or 3 times higher. It's all too subjective to measure in this way.

The club is at tipping point and if it is sold in the near future we will probably look back at the owners as having had a positive effect. If it isn't we will see them, as a disaster. I can't see the point of exposing this. People like Rick have been treated badly and will understandably feel strongly and I hope he gets his role back under new ownership (we can push for this), but the owners want to sell and we want them to sell. The reasons will be different but normally supporters want a board out that doesn't want to go! Surely the only thing we can do, frustratingly limited as it is, is to support the club and try not to put off potential buyers.

It is difficult when you see good people treated badly, but when you set out to do something, it is usually a good idea to understand what you want to achieve and whether it is achievable from your actions!
  • Stig said:

It's good to see a balanced article taking in both sides of the story. I've been struggling for a long time with my view on how the club is run. It's so difficult to get a feel for the truth with the board being so uncommunicative. Over time though, I do find myself more and more drawn towards Airman's arguments. I've tried to do a sort of force-field analysis to get a better understanding. It's by no means perfect and the scores are merely my view on how significant/important certain things are (as we all know from Statbank people certainly score things differently). As I see things though, the board certainly seem to be getting deeper into debt on the good guys/bad guys balance:

I think there might be some double and even treble counting there on some of the negatives but the fact is there is no meaningful dialogue. I hope more positives come out to move this into the green but can't see them at the moment

• Really enjoyed reading all the responses, thanks all those that took the time to read and have added to an excellent debate, much appreciated
  • head bigged and rightly so
  • No what I meant mate, I meant the points and thoughts raised
  • i know what you meant buddy just stating the fact you should be very proud of your work there for what it has created a great read and a cracking thread top work
  • i know what you meant buddy just stating the fact you should be very proud of your work there for what it has created a great read and a cracking thread top work

100% support for this.
  • Stig said:

But looking at your score weightings, I'd say appointing CP, Squad strengthening, 101 points, Academy, Good Finish last season - if you are to compare them with the weightings you have given some negative aspects, these ought to be 2 or 3 times higher. It's all too subjective to measure in this way.

The club is at tipping point and if it is sold in the near future we will probably look back at the owners as having had a positive effect. If it isn't we will see them, as a disaster. I can't see the point of exposing this. People like Rick have been treated badly and will understandably feel strongly and I hope he gets his role back under new ownership (we can push for this), but the owners want to sell and we want them to sell. The reasons will be different but normally supporters want a board out that doesn't want to go! Surely the only thing we can do, frustratingly limited as it is, is to support the club and try not to put off potential buyers.

It is difficult when you see good people treated badly, but when you set out to do something, it is usually a good idea to understand what you want to achieve and whether it is achievable from your actions!
    I think the positive points do deserve more weight, but much of the credit for the more important ones belongs to Varney and Powell. That isn't to say they could have done them without the investment and backing to do them, and that's not what I'm saying, but Varney got Powell in and Varney got the players. I don't think you'd have got the players we did with Prothero in post and obviously Powell was Varney's recommendation.

The academy was also supposed to be category one, whatever they say now.
  • Wel

Hi theenorth.
    Good to see a post and a very good one at that. You've not had many since 2008. Any reason why now. Not having a dig. Just interested.

Why now?
    Well SHG, you get to a certain age and you keep bumping up against scenarios that are all the more recognisable because we've been there before.
    Why not much before?
    Well there are enough scribes on here that hold views similar to my own on many issues and saying it twice or thrice doesn't make it any more profound or interesting once the original point was made.

Keep on keepin' on.

• That's an excellent article from Mr Syed. Thanks for posting it.

An excellent article indeed. It does make you wonder, though, why someone as private as Kevin Cash would entertain investment in a football club.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited August 2013
    Stig said:

Lots of negatives are rumours, apparentleys etc

harsh treatment of parky is a negative but positive in getting cp in. I liked parky but they got that one spot on.
  • edited August 2013
    Airman was totally right when he said that their original aim was to get the academy to Category 1 status.

Don't get me wrong, the current board have invested very heavily in the academy, but they totally wanted Cat 1. Their problem was the cost and the lack of facilities at Sparrows Lane. They basically ran out of time and money!!
  • rikofold said:

That's an excellent article from Mr Syed. Thanks for posting it.

An excellent article indeed. It does make you wonder, though, why someone as private as Kevin Cash would entertain investment in a football club.
    Do we know for a fact that he did?
  • Not for a fact, no, but there's a million and one pointers to it being him. It certainly ain't Silent Tone and the disgraced brief.
  • I would love to know what the people slagging off the current board think the best way to run this club.

I'm not talking about alienating long-time employees and the lack of communication.

I'm talking about how they would like to balance the books. It's clear that to not make a loss, we would need to be paying salaries many times lower than we are. Therefore we lose all of our top players no doubt. Yet people up arms when there is talk of having to sell Wiggins and Solly. Selling Wiggins and Solly isn't going to get near to balancing the books.

So what do people want, a sugar daddy?
  • So what do people want, a sugar daddy?

That'll do.
  • edited August 2013
    My views on this have been 100% consistent... either find the investment to to bolster the squad and get promoted even just to come straight back down OR play the long game and reduce losses - there are several ways to reduce losses including selling the occasional player, letting higher value contracts run down and increasing revenue.
    Philosophically a sugar daddy brings its own problems and the only fan involvement is whatever is bequeathed by a benevolent dictatorship... if the sugar daddy gets it wrong, runs out of cash or simply gets bored then the fans are left with even bigger problems...
    Therefore my preferred option is that a sizeable proportion of the fanbase help the club... which is why I got involved with the supporters trust just under a year ago... a Trust can wait for a car crash or maybe it can assist before that happens... do I have any tangible illustrations? A lot of ideas supplied by fans which are in the design phase... and the ACV petition... could be the start of something where fans can contribute something more than analysis, comment and rumours via their keyboards.

It is possible that more activities will roll off the drawing board shortly but what is very clear to me is that the team need 100% support on the pitch with no distractions.
  • either find the investment to to bolster the squad and get promoted
    If only it was that easy.
  • Sponsored links:

• Balance the books and take the hits.
    Or win Euromillions.
    Or get (another) rich investor, someone like Dave Whelan will do.