Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England v Scotland tonight

Anyone on here going? We are setting off up London at 11 (when no doubt the first pissed up jock will soon be seen)

Actually looking forward to an England game for a change - nothing friendly about playing this lot. Was there for the last one in 99 and got my old man coming out of England retirement today - He's never got over watching them tear Wembley and London apart in the 70's.

Jocks have been given 20k so at least there will be some noise inside Wembley for once.

Does not seem to have caught the imagination of the public down here - several people I know did not even know it was happening.

Still should beat the usual dull friendlies.

Comments

• Options
    There will be a fair few more than 20k sweaties inside Wembley tonight. First beer at 5pm sharp.
  • Options
    There were about 150 Scotland fans on the steps of Trafalgar Square yesterday singing away at 5.30pm. The tourists were lapping it up.
  • Options
    I'm in Spain at the moment and our hotel has a fair few sweaties . Should be good fun tonight !
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Sadly I think it's going to be a usual dull friendly, if you can't get an atmosphere at the new ground for Germany or Ireland I can't see one being created for Scotland. It will be like the 70s again with tens of thousands of pissed Scots here who you can't understand, except we'll smash them 4-0.
  • Options
    red_murph said:

There were about 150 Scotland fans on the steps of Trafalgar Square yesterday singing away at 5.30pm. The tourists were lapping it up.

Apparently there was some trouble with Russians who showed up and started throwing bottles.
  • Options
    Yep I'm going tonight , on it from 12 . Was there in 99 as well
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Can't say I'm looking forward to it, particularly after the U21s debacle. My local when I'm back home received a police warning about its racist chalkboard advertising the fixture. Scotland v Them. Some people will take offense wherever they can find it.
    se9addick said:

Apparently there was some trouble with Russians who showed up and started throwing bottles.

We'll set aboot them
  • Options
    Why is there an international fixture 3 days before the domestic season starts?
  • Options
    Can't wait, the wee man should be here by then so will get to see us pump the auld enemy on his birthday
  • Options
    Have no interest in England like I used to.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

• Options

Yet you have a picture of Morrissey in an England t-shirt as a profile picture?
  • Options
    Used to love the Home Internationals as a kid but the England football team have failed to excite me since 82.

All the passion will come from the Sweats and their fans, our so called best 11 won't give a feck, just hope it ain't too embarrassing, as I live up here atm.
  • Options
    Was tempted as Im unusual in that I actually support England these days....

Not sure I like the thought of being at a home game getting outsung by the away fans who snatch a late win....

Oh wait that sounds familiar...
  • Options
    3 or 4-0 tonight with a bit of rowdiness thrown in
  • Options
    Trafalgar Square was full of Jocks when I came past just now. They're taking it far more seriously than we are.

Don't count on getting any booze from Tesco's opposite, the shelves looked a bit empty.
  • Options
    1-1 or 1-2 to them. Cant see players from the Prem putting in 100%. If pushed id bet on 1-2, rhodes first scorer
  • Options
    Addicted said:

1-1 or 1-2 to them. Cant see players from the Prem putting in 100%. If pushed id bet on 1-2, rhodes first scorer

We could play a Championship side and still win.

• Options
    JT said:

Addicted said:

Bit like the Rep Irl. or Montenegro?

Cant see it but hope you're right
  • Options
    Scotland are much worse than both of those
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I'll save my money then :)
  • Options
    My only concern is that the Sweatys don't win otherwise we will be hearing the crowing for the next 10 years! I am old enough to recall when they beat us in 1967 (against a depleted England side) and they claimed they were The World Champions because they had beaten the World Cup holders! You couldn't make it up.
  • Options
    'Depleted' Dave? That was the World Cup winning team with the exception of Greaves in for Hunt. And that's why the Scots are still drinking out on that win. It was a good Scots team though.
  • Options
    We will lose or draw tonight. No doubt all the England players will have been told to take it easy and not get injured by their managers. Scotland will be well up for it tonight and so will their fans.
  • Options
    Addicted said:

JT said:

Addicted said:

Bit like the Rep Irl. or Montenegro?

Cant see it but hope you're right
    Montenegro are a top team.
  • Options
    I have a fiver free bet on Scotland at 66-1 for them to win 2-0... I still don't think it would be worth it for the grief I would get from my Scottish mate.
  • Options
    So if Scotland win tonight they will claim they are now the 14th best team in the world?
  • Options
    edited August 2013

My only concern is that the Sweatys don't win otherwise we will be hearing the crowing for the next 10 years! I am old enough to recall when they beat us in 1967 (against a depleted England side) and they claimed they were The World Champions because they had beaten the World Cup holders! You couldn't make it up.

I had exactly this conversation with a big Scotsman in a pub in Edinburgh about 15 years ago and he was banging on about Jim Baxter sitting on the ball and extracting the urine big time. I told him he was having a laugh as it was only a friendly like the 9-3 demolition was, when half time Haffey played in goal for them. 'Friendly,friendly Scotland v England is never a friendly he retorted and Haffey was never let back in the country! ' at that point I said nice talking to you must dash.
  • Options

And yet beat Croatia away.

Not sure about your memory Dave.

England team in 1967:

Banks

Cohen Wilson J Charlton Moore

Stiles Ball Peters B Charlton

Greaves Hurst

So Greaves in for Hunt from the world cup winning team. And Greaves is England's greatest striker ever.

The late great Jim Baxter doing keepy uppy, let's be honest Scotland or England fan, Scotland won convincingly that day.