Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

RC Lens anyone?

Planning a trip to France and Id like to catch some French league action. RC Lens are the closest French team to England so I thinking over heading there for a game. They are in Ligue 2 these days...

Anybody been already? What was it like?

Comments

• Options
    Perhaps one of Coulibaly's 85 agents can sort you out?
  • Options

Think they are meant to have some of the most passionate supporters in France, not sure what the atmosphere will be like in the 2nd tier.
  • Options
    Yeah I seem to remember them being Champs League regulars in the late 90's early 00's. Looks like they have a bad recent few years....
  • Options
    They got 27k for their home game last week, which is very good support for France.

Won't be more than 6-7 top flight clubs with bigger crowds than that.
  • Options
    They also got 28,000 for their home pre-season friendly against Marseille, which was Coulibally's first game for Lens. We got 2,800 against Inverness.
  • Options
    They are our local French team so we should all adopt them...
  • Options
    Surely Cup Finalists Calais are our local French team?
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

Havent they gone bust now?
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Ok its looks like Calais RUFC went bust in 2010 but seem to have reformed:

crufc.fr/

Theyre are playing in the fifth level of French football which is amateur.

Got a lovely ground though...

• Options
    Whats an amateur side doing playing in a stadium like that with 12k seats?!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2013
    Probably why they went bust !
  • Options
    CAFCTrev said:

Planning a trip to France and Id like to catch some French league action. RC Lens are the closest French team to England so I thinking over heading there for a game. They are in Ligue 2 these days...

Managed to see England play Columbia there in '98......standard ground ...probably good view all round.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Probably why they went bust !

From what I can find on the interwebs they moved into the ground while in the French 3rd tier, and went bust shortly after....
  • Options

CAFCTrev said:

Managed to see England play Columbia there in '98......standard ground ...probably good view all round.
    You done well - every man and his dog seemed to travel for that one.
  • Options
    Back on thread - my mate watches them once a year. I'll ask him to post.
  • Options
    I would not recommend going to Calais at all. They are not keen on Les anglais. Have watched Lens play but at Strasbourg the fans were very vocal but fairly good natured, that was back in the mid 00's not sure what they are like these days. Large crowds it seems. The inland northern French towns don't get many British visitors say the people going to visit war sites (we mostly drive past at speed) so take a natural shine as it is something different for them. Go and enjoy.
  • Options
    Oh as a side note if you are visiting Lens you should try and get to Arras it is a great town. Just watch out for the local ladies they bite
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

Brings back memories. I actually traveled to Calais the day of the cup final and watched the game with a mate in one of the local bars. Cracking day out even though they lost 2-1 in the end.
  • Options
    Allez Calais
  • Options

Oh as a side note if you are visiting Lens you should try and get to Arras it is a great town. Just watch out for the local ladies they bite

Agree with you there. Had a couple of nights there earlier in the year, great place.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I thought Lille were closest, am tentatively planning a trip there for when Charlton have an away game I'm not fussed by. Tickets are okay on the door at most French games I think.

Also thinking of Anderlecht in Brussels when we have Burnley away but that may involve a night's stay. TV changes haven't been announced though which forces travel prices up, often annoyingly the case when planning foreign matches.
  • Options
    RedPanda said:

I thought Lille were closest, am tentatively planning a trip there for when Charlton have an away game I'm not fussed by. Tickets are okay on the door at most French games I think.

Also thinking of Anderlecht in Brussels when we have Burnley away but that may involve a night's stay. TV changes haven't been announced though which forces travel prices up, often annoyingly the case when planning foreign matches.

Well according to the ultra-accurate and reliable google maps, Lens is about 4 miles closer to Dover, not much in it though. Depending on when Im over there it could end up being LOSC Lille I end up seeing....
  • Options
    Take a cheapo easy jet flight to Copenhagen and I will host you at a FCK game
  • Options
    That's cool, another place to eventually tick off then!
  • Options
    I know the area. I was also in Bollaert in 98... and attended few games when I was working in France. A french mate is a real fan and he goes from Paris to the games at "Bollaert" ! 200 kms ... Lens is probably the most "british" club in France with the best fans , i remember they beat arsenal at wembley in 99. They are famous in France for their kop singing all game long even when they lose. If you can get there I think you will appreciate the atmosphere better by far than Lille .
    They have open recently Le Louvre museum close to the stadium. An annex of the Paris museum. Go also to Vimy 10kms to pay a tribute to the british / canadian / french soldiers and german also who died during the WWI . They kept the area as it was, just planting trees . Very impressive on the top of the hill , its a canadian piec of land. Notredame de lorette is close also with thousands of white crosses. ...
    I saw an interview of Dorian Dervite , he was going there when he was a kid , so better ask him what he thinks about it !
    Lille is a very nice city only 30kms away .A lot bigger with nice pubs in the old town.
    So for the football go to Lens , pay a visit to le Louvre, a tribute to the braves at Vimy and end in a pub in Lille . Enjoy....
  • Options
    Lens have Metz at home the weekend I was thinking of Anderlecht actually. Interesting, I take it to get there you just change at Lille?
  • Options
    RedPanda said:

Lens have Metz at home the weekend I was thinking of Anderlecht actually. Interesting, I take it to get there you just change at Lille?

yes but if you want to visit around better rent a car at Lille Europe station . Motorway all way thru. A small car wont be expensive . A GPS and ..here you go. I remember my pal used to park outside the stadium , and follow the crowd . Its a city of 35k with approx 25k people going towatch the game... U cant miss them all in red and yellow . Gonna ask my friend which stand is the best. U can buy tickets on their website .

• Options
    Feedback: Web site www.rclens.fr tickets from 14 to 30 euros ( for their next game) . Best stand for a visitor is presidentielle niveau 1 (30 euros)
  • Options
    Cool, thank you. That would be quicker and easier than any Belgian game, will wait and see about TV changes.
  • Options
    Both of them have nice kits this season:

Have to say Im a big fan of red and yellow....