Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Louis Saha: Former Man Utd striker retires on 35th birthday

I thought he deserved a mention. He never seemed to reach the same heights, after leaving Fulham.

Former France international striker Louis Saha has announced his retirement from professional football.

The much-travelled forward used his Twitter account to reveal the news, which came on his 35th birthday.

Saha played for Metz, Newcastle (on loan), Fulham, Manchester United, Everton, Spurs, Sunderland and Lazio.

"Want to thank all managers, all staff, all team-mates, all opponents and all fans for all the support and love towards me during my career," he said.

Saha enjoyed lengthy spells at Craven Cottage, Old Trafford and Goodison Park, joining Fulham in 2000 and scoring 64 goals in 144 games for the west London club, helping them to promotion to the Premier League.

He moved to Manchester United for £12.8m in January 2004 and spent four-and-a-half years with the Red Devils, scoring 42 goals in 124 appearances, before adding 35 goals in 115 games with Everton.

The 6ft striker, who also scored four times in 20 international appearances for France, had short stints at Spurs and Sunderland, and made the final transfer of his career in February with a move to Lazio.

"I'm a proud man but without you all I won't be myself now," he added. "Thanks for the challenges, thanks for the help, thanks for the memories and thanks for the passion."

Comments

• Options
    edited August 2013
    Him and Rooney were brilliant upfront together for the first half of the 2007 season, I think it was. Never the same since.

Seems a pretty down to earth fella too.
  • Options
    He actually had a better record at United and Everton than I remembered. And 20 caps for France in that era is a good haul too.
  • Options
    Glad you made it clear which Louis Saha you meant.
  • Options
    C_A_F_C said:

Glad you made it clear which Louis Saha you meant.

Still upset :-)