Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Lack of English Players in Premier League

I noticed on another thread that Dave Wagstaff the ex Wolves winger had sadly passed away. I remember him as a very fine player and one of the best wingers in the league.
He was another player who never got a cap and who now would be a shoe in for the squad at least. There are far to many players of around that era to mention who were in the same boat. Which brings me to the point that if you are English and playing in the Premier League at the moment you will get a call up regardless of ability. For example there will probably be only three english keepers to start for their teams. You will hear the old adage that if you are good enough you will play.Bit daunting when you see that you have the likes of RVP, Mata, Hazard and their like in front of you. We will probably be turned over by the Scots as we hardly have any strikers fit. They are even talking about Hooper getting a call up. Hodgson will be mugged off by the media; eventually sacked and replaced by another deluded fool and so it goes on. With Sky running the Premier League I suppose the situation will not change or will it?

Comments

• Options
    I actually hold some hope for EPPP, especially considering the progress made by piggot, cousins and Harriott who may well have been released by now if it wasn't for the u21 team. Hopefully it's a trend across the country.
  • Options

I actually hold some hope for EPPP, especially considering the progress made by piggot, cousins and Harriott who may well have been released by now if it wasn't for the u21 team. Hopefully it's a trend across the country.

That is very valid. I hope you are right Kentaddick.

• Options
    That's England's problem not alot of English players are playing in the premier league which makes our national side suffer .
  • Options

That's England's problem not alot of English players are playing in the premier league which makes our national side suffer .

Definitely. Sadly I cannot see it changing anytime soon.
  • Options
    pettgra said:

If we dont watch out then one day (may not be for another 10+ years) the England squad will be filled with players from the Championship...

The only good thing about that will be the fact that Scotland's national team will be made up of League One / League Two players (sorry couldnt resist)
  • Options

pettgra said:

If we dont watch out then one day (may not be for another 10+ years) the England squad will be filled with players from the Championship...

The only good thing about that will be the fact that Scotland's national team will be made up of League One / League Two players (sorry couldnt resist)
    I present to you Wilfred Zaha. Admittedly there was a huge buzz about him last season, but in all seriousness - was he spectacular? I thought it was quite a warning sign when he was called up; he was still playing in the Championship and still referred too as "rough around the edges". However, apparently that was good enough for a call up.

Did he set the league alight with goals? No, but he wasn't a striker..

Did he set the league alight with assists then? Ermm. No, Pritchard got more - that guy rescued from non-league, "played out of position" and never been given a cap for Zimbabwe..

He must've been pretty good at getting back and defending though? Ermm.. No; he was quite the attacking man.

Ok, so lets agree he show(s/ed) potential: what will happen now? He's played in a few Man U pre-season games - do you seriously see him getting some game time with Man U yet though? Surely he was better off sticking with a team where he had made his position his, where he would get game time and where he could shine?

This is quite possibly another example of English talent actually making it's way to the surface, only to be snapped up and pushed down the pecking order at a larger club with near-infinite resources. Scott Parker learnt about this lesson quite the hard way..

Personally, if it wasn't for EPPP and FFP then I would've said even the prospect of a England team filled with Championship players may be far fetched.

This is a funny old league - on one hand you've got some lower league clubs managing to make a step up (Bournemouth, Yeovil, Peterborough etc); often with some homegrown talent. On the other hand, you've got ex-prem team comes down with their "cultured" players, many of whom aren't able to get back to the Premier League, so languish here. Similarly, you've got the Watford's that loan many a player in - and other clubs with huge financial backing (Leicester etc) who don't need to rely on their academy; they've got the money to buy in too.

Remember how impressive a feat it was when Crewe Alexandra fielded a team purely of ex-academy players? It was impressive even at their level, imagine how much more impressive that would be a few leagues higher? Or how impressive it would be if that team managed to compete!
  • Options
    Remember when we played Atletico Bilbao in pre-season a few years ago... Their whole squad is made up of Basque players (NOT Spanish)... thats a feat that would be impossible in this country as I dont think they've ever been relegated from La Liga either

Would be like Charlton or Gillingham fielding players from London, Kent or the South East of England, even though Spain is a bigger country it would be impossible over here
  • Options
    I don't see how you can blame the influx of foreign players when England were often as bad beforehand.
  • Options
    RedPanda said:

I don't see how you can blame the influx of foreign players when England were often as bad beforehand.

I dont think its the influx of foreign players that are to blame... I just think we need to curb them slightly to ensure that our International side survives into the future
  • Options
    There should be a rule that a set number of players have to be able to represent ENGLAND for teams in the premier league, this should be England and not dilute the rule to allow all home nations (which would probably happen). This would mean that a player like Moses would no longer apply under this rule as he decided to represent Nigeria.

They should also have a set rule that at two players in the squad are eligible for under 21 football - this would encourage use of the academy players.

To be fair the rule of 2 players under 21 in the squad should be used at all league levels IMO.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It's all down to grassroots training and scouting at young ages.

If the players were good enough, i'm sure Premier League teams would rather pick them up for free at 18, rather than spend £40m on a Spanish player. It's not really the teams fault, they're simply picking the best players for their team.
  • Options
    This situation has been exacerbated by the big spending clubs. Take Chelsea as an example they have an academy but how many of those players actually make the first team? Fact is the Chairman isn't going to be too happy when his £30m foreign player who is on £150k a week is sitting in the stands watching the game whilst a kid from Battersea is playing in his place. That I am afraid is the reality and that is why we cannot bring on enough home grown talent.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    I'd like to see the seven man bench include two England qualifying u21 subs
  • Options
    Kap10 said:

I'd like to see the seven man bench include two England qualifying u21 subs

I think this should definitely be introduced... Thought it was one of the original reasons for subs to be increased from five to seven?
  • Options
    PL is about short term targets and meeting high expectations pretty much straight away so the managers might be too scared to try and develop a young side that might take 2/3 years to really become top quality...