Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Kenny Sansom sleeping on a park bench...

Comments

• Options
    edited July 2017
    WSS said:

Mum was an alcoholic - died five years ago this week because of it.

Still have mixed feelings of anger and sadness. I get there is a huge mental side side to it but there will always be a part of me that will think she never tried hard enough to stop. It's not as if she didn't have support and loving people around her trying to help.

Seems to be my default position on all alcoholics - some empathy, a little sympathy, mostly frustration.

• Options
    My dad died of Alcoholism last November, we lived with it for 10 years, he wasnt aggressive or violent, just always drunk, sad seeing him go down hill and nothing, nothing, you can do to stop it.
  • Options
    A friend of mine is alcohol dependant, he's on the wagon at the moment....his brother died from alcoholism at the age of 47.
  • Options
    My dad died of alcoholism twenty five years ago aged 48 ( the same age as me now) . It turned him into a heartless little man who cared little or nothing for his kids. It's a horrible disease.
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    Agree, Beds.
  • Options
    edited July 2017
  • Options
    Fighting for his life apparently after being beaten up.

THe blokes post career decline sim such a sad tale.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Boozer , gambler .....once every few years used to see him battered in The Bull in Chislehurst , so sad 
  • Options
    Very sad. People of a certain age, like me, can testify what a good player he was.
  • Options
    Sad. PFA should step in (unless they have but given up)?
  • Options
    Nice Lad when sober, such a shame, Get well soon.
  • Options
    Leroy Experienced and highly qualified professionals in this area would disagree with you.
    Maybe because that helps them continue to earn a living
  • Options
    Serial killing is an illness and locking them up is wrong. Discuss.
  • Options
    Serial killing is an illness and locking them up is wrong. Discuss.
    No.
  • Options
    WSS said:
    Mum was an alcoholic - died five years ago this week because of it. Still have mixed feelings of anger and sadness. I get there is a huge mental side side to it but there will always be a part of me that will think she never tried hard enough to stop. It's not as if she didn't have support and loving people around her trying to help. Seems to be my default position on all alcoholics - some empathy, a little sympathy, mostly frustration.
    I’ve only just seen this.
    I had no idea.

Both Bruv & I could have written that paragraph word for word.

Sending you all my love ❤️
  • Options
    Local news down here (Exeter) says that he is in the Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital with a serious head injury, allegedly following a drunken argument'.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Used to see him from time to time in the Three Blackbirds. Seemed to always be shovelling money into the fruit machine drinking white wine. 

He always seemed friendly enough. It’s a shame the way that it has gone for him - but he does appear to have access to the support network that can help him. 

Like Gazza, he unfortunately does not appear to want it enough just yet. 

I hope he can get back on track. 
  • Options
    Very sad. People of a certain age, like me, can testify what a good player he was.
    I'm 54 and started going to football when I was around 7. 
    Kenny Sansom is the best left back I have seen, Stuart Pearce a very close second.  Sansom is probably one of the best left backs England have ever had.
    By all accounts he is a really nice fella, I met him at Bromley South station about 3 years ago and he was more than happy for pictures to be taken with my friend and me.

Would agree with that completely, very talented player was Kenny Sansom, but never really got the plaudits as he was quite an unassuming and modest guy, that just got on with it.

Chatted to him a few times when he used to come into the Northbrook pub in Lee, and used to drink white wine in a pint glass filled with ice, which I clearly remember as it was the only time that have ever seen anyone do that.

I really hope that he can find the mental strength to come out of this, but as others on here have said it is a long road ahead, and the reality is that many addicts don't make it.
  • Options
  • Options
    Read today that he is suffering from early dementia and a brain disorder.
    All very sad but perhaps inevitable that he would hit problems given his long battle with the drink.
  • Options
    All very sad but perhaps inevitable that he would hit problems given his long battle with the drink.
    Very sad, the form he has is drink related, but is treatable (I assume if he stays off the drink).
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    Very sad, the form he has is drink related, but is treatable (I assume if he stays off the drink).
    I worked with several patients who had this type of dementia 'Korsakoff' and it's pretty sad to see. Very distressing to see what booze can do and how hard it is to get clear of it. It can obviously occur with younger people.