Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Collection for a memorial plaque for Lee Rigby at Charlton Read more: http://intothevalley.proboard

Hi all

We are having a collection at the Liberal Club on the day of the Middlesbrough game to try and raise £500 for a memorial plaque in honour of Lee Rigby. Any donations however small will be most appreciated. Any excess money will be donated to the families chosen charities

Kind Regards

Gavin

Read more: http://intothevalley.proboards.com/thread/13736/collection-memorial-plaque-rigby-charlton#ixzz2aWQIKGNT

Comments

• Where's it planned to be placed?
  • Outside the West Stand http://www.addicksplace.co.uk/

Presuming that the Club has given permission for the plaque to be sited there, Gavin ?

• I don't want to sound insensitive and of course it was a tragic thing that happened. Lee wasn't a Charlton supporter and as far as I know didn't have connections to the club. Why would you place a plaque behind the West Stand?
    I would hate to be immortalised on a plaque at any football ground other than Wembley or the Valley.
  • PopIcon said:

I don't want to sound insensitive and of course it was a tragic thing that happened. Lee wasn't a Charlton supporter and as far as I know didn't have connections to the club. Why would you place a plaque behind the West Stand?
    I would hate to be immortalised on a plaque at any football ground other than Wembley or the Valley.

This. I think the flag is a great idea because its not technically associated with the club, just the fans taking it up and down the country, and it can be appreciated by opposition fans as well.
  • PopIcon said:

I don't want to sound insensitive and of course it was a tragic thing that happened. Lee wasn't a Charlton supporter and as far as I know didn't have connections to the club. Why would you place a plaque behind the West Stand?

This again! He was just based at Woolwich with, as far as we know, no interest in Charlton! He was known to be a MUFC fan! Nice thought but not really relevant.
  • PopIcon said:

This. Trying to raise £500 for something like help for heroes would be something that I am sure would honour the man more.
  • if you are not happy with the idea then do not donate. We have set up an online donation site to those that do. If you want to donate to Help for Heroes then please do. It is a great cause but criticism of people that want to do something at the Valley is unwelcome

http://gogetfunding.com/project_funds/add/30542
  • cafc-west said:

PopIcon said:

This again! He was just based at Woolwich with, as far as we know, no interest in Charlton! He was known to be a MUFC fan! Nice thought but not really relevant.
    agree with this comment
  • Charlton Fan
    I have this agreed with Adele and Billy ---------money to go to his family-------awaiting adress confirmation from HtH . This sounds abit like a double hit-----not really an issue ----just where the money goes. On the other hand i would prefer not to get the buckets etc if you have this sorted.
  • Sponsored links:

• I have been talking with them too mate
  • no worries---its a question of where the money goes to--------im happy to get the buckets etc and drop them off on the morning with Billy
  • if you are not happy with the idea then do not donate. We have set up an online donation site to those that do. If you want to donate to Help for Heroes then please do. It is a great cause but criticism of people that want to do something at the Valley is unwelcome

http://gogetfunding.com/project_funds/add/30542

My comment wasn't meant as a criticism. I just asked if it was misplaced, one might suggest self indulgent.
    I'm assuming that the family have been consulted, I would hate to have an epitaph at Old Trafford.
  • I assume that this is one of the Paving Blocks that the Club are flogging?
  • Charlton Fan forget the plaque these people want the ins and out of a ducks arse. We do the collection and send the money to his family.
  • can't understand any negative comments. if you think it's a bad idea then don't contribute and let those that think it is get on with it. a plaque isn't going to do any of us any harm is it, however misplaced you might percieve it to be.
  • I mooted the idea on other forums some time ago and it was popular. It would seem that some people did like the idea of a permanent reminder of Lee in the Borough where his life was sadly taken
  • Nice idea and heres to you raising enough money to set out what you want to achieve.
  • I mooted the idea on other forums some time ago and it was popular. It would seem that some people did like the idea of a permanent reminder of Lee in the Borough where his life was sadly taken

But surely it would make more sense to do that in Woolwich near the barracks, rather than at a a football ground he has no connection to?
  • Good luck,I think a good idea where the local people can pay their respects,as I doubt very much the local council will make a plaque to remember the poor lad.at least u are doing something m8 all the best.
  • Sponsored links:

• we have now exceeded our target so any money collected now will be donated to the charities supported by the family of Lee Rigby
  • we have now exceeded our target so any money collected now will be donated to the charities supported by the family of Lee Rigby

See you Saturday Gav - will be meeting Jakki at the Libs and donating!

• I do think it is a bizarre thing to do. And I think it is right to question it - you're aiming to put it on the side of our ground or thereabouts. It certainly isn't right to bully people into not questioning it. Of the 4m people who have died in the UK since the last terrorist attack, I am sure there are plenty who warranted remembrance as much as Mr Rigby, however tragic his death.
  • I would be in favour of a plaque donated by CAFC fans being placed at Woolwich barracks or somewhere in his home town, whatever is most fitting so far as his family is concerned.
    As said on here already, Lee had no association (that we know of) with CAFC and a plaque inside the valley would not be appropriate.
    I would be prepared to donate. However, I will not be in London for a few weeks yet.
  • I would imagine the army would be placing a plaque in Woolwich at some point. There are so many negative people on this site it is unreal. I do not think it matters who he supported he put his life on line for the country and lost it on our doorstep. His family fully appreciate what we are trying to achieve, we have been in contact with them.
  • There are so many negative people on this site it is unreal.

And you say that having posted a link to Into the Valley? Good one.
  • I would imagine the army would be placing a plaque in Woolwich at some point. There are so many negative people on this site it is unreal. I do not think it matters who he supported he put his life on line for the country and lost it on our doorstep. His family fully appreciate what we are trying to achieve, we have been in contact with them.

Has the club agreed to allow such a plaque to be displayed?

Have you even spoken to the club about this?

• i have the details from his reg where the money can go to his family it will be in the Lib on Saturday,this was sent to me by H t H
  • For all those questioning if this is the right thing to do, I'm sure I saw his family giving thanks to the CAFC fans doing this fund raising, on twitter

Has the club agreed to allow such a plaque to be displayed?

Have you even spoken to the club about this?

As Mick Everett has invited them to contact and arrange an on pitch presentation I'd say the club are pretty much behind it.

This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!