Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Drummers and singers

They ought to be in the Lower North every home game - they were twice as loud down there.

Comments

• I thought the same, so much for the upper north acoustics that the club told us about.
  • Yeah, fair play to them all.
  • Got to agree that a titchy group were very loud, and it has to be to do with location. Sort it our bradshaw/protheroe/Everett/jimenez/slater/Curbishley.
  • Karen Carpenter
    Phil Collins
    Don Henley
  • Roger Taylor
    Dave Grohl as well.....
  • Levon Helm
  • Not Paul McCartney, not anymore.
  • edited July 2013
    well done them,made up for the piss poor turn out

• Sponsored links:

• Why doesn't everyone from the north upper move to the lower as of next season, I also though that small group,made a lot of noise.
  • Why doesn't everyone from the north upper move to the lower as of next season, I also though that small group,made a lot of noise.

Costs more money down there for starters.

• Off_it said:

Why doesn't everyone from the north upper move to the lower as of next season, I also though that small group,made a lot of noise.

Same money for a season ticket, just the match day prices that are higher.
  • MrLargo said:

Off_it said:

Why doesn't everyone from the north upper move to the lower as of next season, I also though that small group,made a lot of noise.

Same money for a season ticket, just the match day prices that are higher.
    Is that right? Didn't know that, cheers.

Still, there's a better view upstairs and the legroom is shocking in parts of the lower tier.
  • The legroom in the lower is the worst I've encountered in any situation, anywhere in the world. I've watched a grand total of half a match there. One of my legs became temporarily paralysed. I had no feeling in it, and had to use my arms to drag it out. I spent the second half standing in the concourse, feeling really happy that I could walk. I remember the buses in the Algarve being designed for tiny Portuguese people, and quite painful, but pain is better than what happens in the lower north at The Valley.
  • in the match when there was a power cut in the north upper it was notably louder when they moved a load of fans to the lower for the 2nd half.
  • Ginger Baker, singing on 'Pressed Rat and Wart-hog'. Don't give up the day-job, Mr Baker.
  • What were they singing and what was the posman about?
  • KiwiG said:

The legroom in the lower is the worst I've encountered in any situation, anywhere in the world. I've watched a grand total of half a match there. One of my legs became temporarily paralysed. I had no feeling in it, and had to use my arms to drag it out. I spent the second half standing in the concourse, feeling really happy that I could walk. I remember the buses in the Algarve being designed for tiny Portuguese people, and quite painful, but pain is better than what happens in the lower north at The Valley.

Glad you've recovered, Kiwi. My seat is one row from the back of the Lower North, just to the side of the goal: the view is very good. A couple of seasons ago against Stevenage for a fiver I brought my mate Chris, a very occasional fan, and sat with him lower down in the Lower North and off to the side. The view of the Covered End six-yard box was obscured by our neighbours; anything beyond, towards the corner flag, was left to our imagination. The raking isn't steep enough. The whole stadium was packed and we won 2-0, but I felt I had let my friend down by not giving him a better view.

• Dave Clark 5..................nuff said
  • Sponsored links:

• Ringo sang a few tunes.
  • iainment said:

Ringo sang a few tunes.

]

Just adds to the "against" column.......................

• Christian Vander is a French drummer with astonishing technique. He fronts his band, Magma, and sings in a guttural language he invented, because French is "too soft". They are more like a sinister religious cult than a rock band. Deeply strange and bloody good. Bizarrely, snooker ace Steve Davis is a big fan (he's also into the Canterbury scene of Caravan and Soft Machine) - and he once paid for Magma to come to London and play.
  • the noise they made on Saturday was only bettered by the Cardiff game last season.

:)
  • Christian Vander is a French drummer with astonishing technique. He fronts his band, Magma, and sings in a guttural language he invented, because French is "too soft". They are more like a sinister religious cult than a rock band. Deeply strange and bloody good. Bizarrely, snooker ace Steve Davis is a big fan (he's also into the Canterbury scene of Caravan and Soft Machine) - and he once paid for Magma to come to London and play.

I used to like them. Gong apparently influenced Magma, Venux Deluxee was involved with both - so there's the probable link to the Canterbury scene as Daevid Allen was in Soft Machine at the start.
  • Sebastien Grainger from 'death from above 1979' was the drummer and singer.
  • iainment said:

Christian Vander is a French drummer with astonishing technique. He fronts his band, Magma, and sings in a guttural language he invented, because French is "too soft". They are more like a sinister religious cult than a rock band. Deeply strange and bloody good. Bizarrely, snooker ace Steve Davis is a big fan (he's also into the Canterbury scene of Caravan and Soft Machine) - and he once paid for Magma to come to London and play.

I used to like them. Gong apparently influenced Magma, Venux Deluxee was involved with both - so there's the probable link to the Canterbury scene as Daevid Allen was in Soft Machine at the start.
    You've got it. I've seen Magma several times, most recently at the Queen Elizabeth Hall on the South Bank. I think their best album is the double Live at Paris Olympia, 1976. Storming stuff - grips you by the shoulders and shakes you until your teeth rattle.

• edited July 2013
    Charles Hayward, who for a very short time was in Gong, and was almost the drummer in Roxy Music, sings when he does solo drum shows. He was also in This Heat. Fantastic drummer, too, and a nice bloke, because I used to have lessons with him many years ago. Worth looking up on youtube.
  • Drummer Stuart Halliday contributed backing vocals to Alkatraz, a Welsh rock band who released one album, in 1976. The line-up included Will Youatt (ex-Man) on guitar, and played regular London gigs like the Roundhouse. They were a superb outfit - funked-up Welsh stomp mixed with Motown hooks and harmonies.

• Buddy Rich