Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Peter (Scoop) Burrows

See he still manages to get into the press box, once tried to stop me from going to hospitality after I'd played in a benefit game in May arranged by my friend. Can anyone remember being refereed by him yonks ago, he was dreadful. Sorry not a fan.

Comments

• Harsh. Legendary Charlton character well into his 70s. Who cares if he pays?
  • Gave me a lift most of the way home from Middlesbrough once.

Mind you, he barely said a word the whole way.
  • Has he had a shave yet ?
  • bit grassy this post

Not worried that he doesn't pay, he also interrupts any conversation at will. Still I thought it would be a different subject to get away from most of the negativity currently on this site
  • Always have a soft spot for him. I spent many a game listening to him on the radio giveing updates. It was a sort of compertion to guess the score and how many mistakes he would make during his reports
  • Sorted us our passes to the box at Yeovil pre season 92 and Norwich away in the league cup around the same time. Charlton legend.
  • Midweek away games from the 80's -90's in a moody b&b up north somewhere and scoop would often appear at breakfast out of nowhere
    And if you weren't there his dulcet tones could be heard reporting on Charlton for LBC
    Charlton character from years gone by and is still about .... He must be pushing 80 odd

• Top bloke is scoop

What on earth does his age have to do with anything? Stuart Hall is in his 80's.
  • Sponsored links:

• Remember answering the phone to him when I was a kid - he called up to speak to my brother who had written a match review of a Palace away game for the programme in about 1995. He was like a celebrity to me as a young gun at the time just cos his name appeared in the programme every week!
  • Whenever I hear his name mentioned it brings back memories of the much missed Kentish Independant
  • Did scoop sometimes do the round up of news on clubcall 0898121146 ? Was that the number
  • Whenever I hear his name mentioned it brings back memories of the much missed Kentish Independant

This. loved that paper.
  • Bloodyhell you know i think that *was* the number!!!
  • Defo was.
  • Hinton said:

Harsh. Legendary Charlton character well intoxicating his 70s. Who cares if he pays?

Not worried that he doesn't pay, he also interrupts any conversation at will. Still I thought it would be a different subject to get away from most of the negativity currently on this site
    So your suggestion to the negativity is to slag off a bloke many of us have grown up looking up to and have very fond memories of? Nice.
  • Did scoop sometimes do the round up of news on clubcall 0898121146 ? Was that the number

Blimey, Oohaah ..... how do you remember that?
    You'd make a great trainspotter!

;o)

• I'm a numbers man oggy.... I always like admiring figures :-)

THIS

• Sponsored links:

• Ah, Clubcall! Ran up a bill for 300 quid back in 1987 on this, we had no idea it was 48p per minute.

In his post-match Scoop would VERY cleverly ramble on for about two minutes before letting you know the score of the game and then take another minute to let you know the scorer.

Got grounded for a week and missed two games for that.
  • anyone got a pic of this fella
  • He gets a bit of lighthearted stick in the press room, and dishes out, first to the sandwich's without fail, legendary figure, he is one of a few who although retired come into the press room, as well as Tom Morris, both great value to chat too, and why would he not be allowed in there?
  • I remembervwhen Pete was the Manager of Palmerston, in the SE Combined League, back in early 70s. I played for Rochester Way Social Club and it was always fun playing againts Pete's team........he was passionate!
  • Hinton said:

Harsh. Legendary Charlton character well intoxicating his 70s. Who cares if he pays?

So your suggestion to the negativity is to slag off a bloke many of us have grown up looking up to and have very fond memories of? Nice.
    My thoughts entirely. Nowt wrong with scoop, an odd fish I will grant you but 100% Charlton man and always useful for a spare press box ticket at away games in the 90s...
  • PB is still hale and hearty and not quite as old as some are claiming! He attends every day of Kent cricket from April through to September and is still a good source of top grade gossip. He may be retired but he still has his 'contacts' and always seems to know what's going on at both CAFC and KCCC re. signings, departures, takeovers etc. long before anyone else.

I'm sure many will remember his LBC catch-phrase every time Charlton conceded a goal. We still tease him with it on a regular basis at Canterbury, said in a suitably flat and nasal voice: "And Charlton have only got themselves to blame..."
  • Has anyone got a pic.
  • I feared this was going to be an RIP thread.

Thank goodness it isn't.

Scoop is a genuine Charlton (and Kent) eccentric and more power to his elbow.

Mind you, as others have also mentioned, my younger brother got himself in trouble running up a fortune on Club Call back in the day!
  • Football clubs are great in that they all have characters like 'Scoop' Burrowes and we should embrace them - as far as I am concerned he is part of the fabric of the club. My Dad knew him when he were a lad. I believe he grew up on Fairlawn Avenue, off Brampton Road, in Bexleyheath.
  • PB is still hale and hearty and not quite as old as some are claiming! He attends every day of Kent cricket from April through to September and is still a good source of top grade gossip. He may be retired but he still has his 'contacts' and always seems to know what's going on at both CAFC and KCCC re. signings, departures, takeovers etc. long before anyone else.

I'm sure many will remember his LBC catch-phrase every time Charlton conceded a goal. We still tease him with it on a regular basis at Canterbury, said in a suitably flat and nasal voice: "And Charlton have only got themselves to blame..."

Lovely! You've got the nasal voice exactly right. I can still hear him signing off his reports, mangling the vowels on the way: "Peter Burrowes, eye-are-en..."