Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Bit of career advice...

Afternoon all,

I may be asking in the wrong place but if anyone can help a fellow CAFC supporter out it would be greatly appreciated.

Basically I graduated last year with a degree in Accounting with Finance. Since then I have been in 2 accounts/finance related jobs and have hated both of them. I'm now out of work and I am thinking that I should look at different options. I'm quite a sociable person and think I would be suited to a more client facing role. My Dad is in sales and I think I would suit that as well. Does anyone have any contacts or advice that would they be willing to share, to help me out? Like I said, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Degree in accounts and customer facing sales role, have you tried MacDonalds pal?
  • Maybe in advertising / media for a media owner or agency? Like a business development / strategy role maybe.
  • Mark, I am assuming you are young enough to make a decision to change career direction as easy as possible?

It gets harder to change direction the older you get. IF you can do something you like to do AND earn a comfortable living at it, that's the life mate. Take stock and then go for it. I speak as someone who did a job he hated for 30 years out of what now seems was a misguided obligation to personal and professional standing, the mortgage company, the bank and blah de blah de blah.

Good luck. Another bit of advice would be not to ask advice on here... ;0)

• Have a read through this, there's some pretty interesting jobs out there that you never even knew existed: http://features.thesundaytimes.co.uk/public/best100companies/live/template
  • Well, how about the Financial Conduct Authority?
    You'd be able to combine your accountancy/finance skills with dealing with all the regulated firms rather than merely slaving over a hot spreadsheet!
    fcacareers.org.uk/
    They have a "search vacancies" section on this page, or they (probably?) still run a graduate programme. And their enforcement work is very interesting although I don't think the interviewees see it as a "client-facing" role!
    I can ask if you're interested.
  • Mark, I am assuming you are young enough to make a decision to change career direction as easy as possible?

It gets harder to change direction the older you get. IF you can do something you like to do AND earn a comfortable living at it, that's the life mate. Take stock and then go for it. I speak as someone who did a job he hated for 30 years out of what now seems was a misguided obligation to personal and professional standing, the mortgage company, the bank and blah de blah de blah.

Yeah I'm 23 so I want to make sure I get into a career that I am going to enjoy. I just don't think I'm cut for finance. I think sales is where I would prosper but I want to get into a sales role that is going to be enjoyable.

Yeah I'm 23 so I want to make sure I get into a career that I am going to enjoy. I just don't think I'm cut for finance. I think sales is where I would prosper but I want to get into a sales role that is going to be enjoyable.

Good luck with that!
  • BIG_ROB said:

Degree in accounts and customer facing sales role, have you tried MacDonalds pal?

My best mate from uni, took a job flipping burgers for maccky Dees after we both graduated. He has never worked for any other company, worked his way up the ladder and 17 years later he now has a nice house in north west London, a Floridian apartment and spends most of his days playing golf with potential suppliers.

I turned down the golden arches. Looking back it was one of the biggest mistakes of my life.

I don't doubt it Smudge mate. A pal of mine son, is a shift manager at McDs and earns an excellent hourly rate.
  • If you want a job you enjoy - what do you enjoy? Might help some suggestions.

MacDonalds are a great company - only allow long time employees to own stores - have a family culture