Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

3-5-2

Seems we are set up 3-5-2 vs St. Mirren today. Personally I have always liked this formation providing you have the quality in the full backs which in Wiggins and Solly we have in abundance. You also need at least one very mobile centre back which we have recently struggled with. Is Wood that player ?

Comments

• Options
    We had Fish Costa Fortune and none of them were particularly rapid iirc, positional sense may be more important.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Young too, only works for me if you have two exceptional full backs that can both attack and defend very well, too often it becomes 4-5-1 or 5-3-2
  • Options
    I think Dervite is the mobile centre back, Hughes anchoring in front of the 3 adds extra protection. All we need to do is teach Green and Harriott how to defend
  • Options
    I seem to remember Curbs using 3-5-2 with Fish, Rowett and Rufus in a match on Sky. Think we won it as well
  • Options
    It's often wrongly perceived as being negative but with two good wing backs its a very attacking and flexible formation.
  • Options
    I've always thought that the downside of 3-5-2 is the vulnerable defensive space behind our full backs when they are attacking - just begging to be exploited by opponents on the counter attack, when our attack breaks down.

However, with Hughes ability to track and cover, we have an ideal player to plug that space.

• Options
    Did anybody use this in the Championship last season?

• Options
    The main problem I can see with the formation is it doesn't leave much room for Harriott. If we can get the players comfortable with it though we can rotate the formation and keep other teams guessing
  • Options
    3-5-2 is an impossible formation and is old fashioned.......not played any more. Belongs in the bin.
  • Options
    Apart from Napoli, Italy and Man City among the teams to use it last season eh?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Exeter City have used this formation from time to time - not as a regular starting line up, but as a tactic to change their approach during the game.

A Plan B (or Plan C), in fact.

And maybe Chris Powell is trying it out to see if he has the right combination of players to give him another string to his bow?

• Options
    Peterborough and Wigan both like a bit of 3-5-2 and they both had great seasons...

But still, it could work for us. You should choose a formation that best fits your team - not the other way around.
  • Options
    Hull city definetly used the 3-5-2 formation, worked very well for them.
  • Options
    Who would the 5 be though? Obviously Wiggins and Solly, plus Jackson. But the other 2? Hughes to plug the gap? Pritchard with his energy? Harriott for extra pace? Gower? Or someone else if they sign?
  • Options
    Hull used this formation throughout last season and look where they finished.

I think if you get the right balance and do have the right type of players to work to the formation's strengths, the weaknesses of the formation are normally over ruled and it can be a very effective formation. Also allows a good passing game too.

If Wood signs, he can also cover the left side/left back area if Wiggins and Solly was to push forward and Hughes can cover the right hand side, almost going into a 4 at the back if we were to face a counter attack. This is where I agree with Oggy, it could work quite well.

Having seen Harriott play numerous times, he can play either side and behind the main striker, so I'm sure Powell would be able to find a way of fitting him in if we were to use this formation.

But we've only used it for one 45 minutes so best not get ahead of ourselves I suppose.
  • Options
    Ross said:

Who would the 5 be though? Obviously Wiggins and Solly, plus Jackson. But the other 2? Hughes to plug the gap? Pritchard with his energy? Harriott for extra pace? Gower? Or someone else if they sign?

The good thing is we have a lot of options there. I'd say it would be Jackson, Pritch and Gower, with Hughes or Hollands to come in if we need more protection or Stephens in place of Gower some games. Harriott wouldn't work at central midfield I don't think. The width would come from the wing-backs
  • Options
    Might fit with our resources but how to use Harriot. Certainly worked well for Italy playing against Spain in the euros and confed. Might not suit Solly though.
  • Options
    It's an option if harriott is out of form. Could work very well against certain teams.
  • Options
    To get 3-5-2 working well the team has to be exceptionally disciplined otherwise you get opened up all over the place. Didn't we play it last season against boro at home? 4-1 defeat?
    Don't get me wrong I'm very much open to new formations/strategys as I feel 4-4-2 can become very flat at times. I've always like the 4-2-3-1 witg two holding midfielders with the other 3 pushing forward getting crosses in and getting into the box.
    I don't think powell will use the 3-5-2. He'll have the 'second season syndrome' in the back of his head and want us to get as many points on the board as quickly as possible.
  • Options
    Does anyone think Harriott could play as a striker? Very small but has a lethal shot on him and pace to burn, strong for his size too
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    sam3110 said:

Does anyone think Harriott could play as a striker? Very small but has a lethal shot on him and pace to burn, strong for his size too

No, don't think so. Successful strikers have the guile and cunning around the box to deceive defenders. Our Callum hasn't yet had the experience to develop those qualities.

• Options
    This is what happens when you allow your Manager, Assistant Manager and U21s coach to spend there summer holidays on a coaching course. It will be the xmas tree next I tell thee :0p

• Options
    Unless we sign some strikers can't see us playing more than 1 up front come the start of the season.
  • Options

3-5-2 is an impossible formation and is old fashioned.......not played any more. Belongs in the bin.

The old tactics will always resurface
  • Options

Best have a word with SCP pdq.

• Options
    If 3-5-2 is played correctly, with every single player on the same page in terms of positioning, I truly believe it is unbeatable. But it's rare to see a team comfortable playing it. Often the wingbacks are expected to track back, but in my honest opinion, the focus should be on a defensive midfielder to drop into a back four when required.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Watching Juventus as much as I do, I know pretty much everything about playing 3-5-2. I think it is a fantastic formation and a way forward with modern football, that said it does require the right players and high fitness levels.

The first line of the defence starts with the strikers as they always have to be on their toes closing down the opposition in their half of the pitch. If they fail then the five in midfield will use their numbers and intensity to win the ball back, if under pressure the RWB and the LWB back drop back to form 5 defenders at the back.

Out of the 3 at the back the LCB and RCB can be your standard meat and drink defenders but the Middle CB needs to be composed on the ball and be able to read the game well to intercept any loose balls. It effectively can work as an extra defender at the back as even if the LCB and RCB get beaten the Middle CB should be able to recover.

Going forward it is a very attacking formation as it's usually played with 2 box-to-box midfielders with an anchoring midfielder to dictate play and then with the Wing Backs pushing forward as well.

With regards to Charlton Solly and Wiggins would be great for RWB and LWB, I'd expect Dervite to play the Middle CB role, the only question would be do we have a good enough holding midfielder to support Jackson and Pritchard the 2 midfielders I think would thrive from playing this formation. Also this doesn't leave any room at all for Green and Harriott as they would have to track back and defend.
  • Options
    Good explanation, Forza - especially as you've based it on watching a top team actually using the system successfully.

• Options

Also this doesn't leave any room at all for Green and Harriott as they would have to track back and defend.

Your analysis is first class Forza, going on what you've said here to it sounds like Waggy would've been perfect for this formation.
  • Options
    No, he wouldn't be. Waggy's tracking back is characterised by hard work, not defensive talent. Your wing back needs to be a solid defender as well as capable of getting forward or you end up with unbelievable gaps at the back. See Brazil against Spain. Marcelo and Alves are very good players but when they get done they give the opposition so much space to run into it's terrifying. You need discipline and defensive nous. Waggy's also not strong enough or experienced enough in the role to play centre mid and experiments with him up front rarely worked. I was never really convinced with him playing in the hole either. He remains a winger for me