Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Lido

Anyone been since they reopened it? Major work going on at the front to convert the reception etc., believe it's an Olympic Legacy, with fitness centre, cafe etc., being built.

Have been a couple of times, very busy yesterday, obviously, but good for some serious swimming. 50 metre heated pool, four lanes, slow/med/fast and timed, plus plenty of area for the kids and sun-worshippers.

Should be good when completed. Brings back to some memories too!

Comments

• Options
    one of my favourite places as a kid/teenager on hot summer days .. it's great to see that it is still in use and giving pleasure to the good folk in the Charlton area
  • Options
    Use to love it up the dildo
  • Options
    BIG_ROB said:

Use to love it up the dildo

We must swap numbers!!
  • Options
    How do people pronounce it? Like Lie dough or Lee dough?
  • Options
    Lie Doh, as in true cockerney.
  • Options
    I used to love the one in Danson Park, spent almost the whole of the hot summers of '75 and '76 there. Charlton and Eltham lidos just weren't as nice.
  • Options
    Lido in Danson Park. Wow that must have gone years ago. I started going in the early 80's and don't remember it. Whaere abouts was it?
  • Options
    its a Lie Doh
    There was to be a big investment in the Charlton one and something is defo going on. I think they were going to make it a diving centre, it was going to be open all year round and it was going to be heated.
  • Options
    fattmatt said:

Lido in Danson Park. Wow that must have gone years ago. I started going in the early 80's and don't remember it. Whaere abouts was it?

I think it closed about 1978 and was briefly a skateboard park. As you come up the main road by the Audi garage towards Danson from Blendon roundabout it was off to the left at the A2 edge of the park.

2 1/2 new pence to get in. big pool with three levels of diving boards that you could jump off. Couple of kiddie paddling pools. Big café that sold hot dogs, pop and ice lollies. Loads of terrace room to sunbath and plenty of birds in tiny bikinis that kept us pubecent boys happy.

• Options
    Riviera said:

I used to love the one in Danson Park, spent almost the whole of the hot summers of '75 and '76 there. Charlton and Eltham lidos just weren't as nice.

I used to go there as a child - it was a lovely pool.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

its a Lie Doh
    There was to be a big investment in the Charlton one and something is defo going on. I think they were going to make it a diving centre, it was going to be open all year round and it was going to be heated.

W.I.P. GH, it's heated now and work is taking place on the Shooters Hill end. Not sure about a diving centre, but the aim is to open all year round. It's just great to have a 50m pool locally to swim in.

Bring on the winter :-)
  • Options
    I learned to swim in Charlton lido in the 50's a wonderful place I can still see the cascadeing water falls and blue tiles. The scratched graffitti on the changeing room doors was a work of art I can remember the day my cousin peter was reading the scratchings and asked his dad what wa-ker meant. As for danson I do not recall going to the lido but I remember many summer days fishing for sticklebacks in the lake
    MN6
  • Options

Its dill dough
  • Options
    edited July 2013

lie dough for a dip .. lee dough for the old Boz Scaggs number 'Lido Shuffle' .. (but that was all he missed coz he aint comin back)
  • Options
    Used to be one at the green in Falconwood/Welling
  • Options
    and at Tooting Bec
  • Options
    BIG_ROB said:

Its dill dough
    Never mind dildos, wheres this weeks rack?
  • Options
    Does anyone know of the lido in martens grove park? as i live close but never saw it?
  • Options
    Used to be one in Eltham Park too (now Eltham Park South due to the A2 relief road). Never saw it when it was open, but remember cycling past it with a mate in the early 90s.
  • Options

BIG_ROB said:

Its dill dough
    Never mind dildos, wheres this weeks rack?
    Me PC ain't working mate, can't do it from me blower so if someone else wants to take over, feel free.......
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Used to be one in Eltham Park too (now Eltham Park South due to the A2 relief road). Never saw it when it was open, but remember cycling past it with a mate in the early 90s.

It was pretty grim.

• Options
    Top Tip. Book online the day before stroll passed the sweating queue... http://www.better.org.uk/leisure/charlton-lido
  • Options
    Danson was great even as a skate park!
    Also used to go to crayford as well!
    Any one remember that one?
  • Options
    Spent a lot of my teenage years strutting around the poolside at Charlton Lido. Did me feck all good though.
  • Options
    Definitely one in Martens Grove off of Stephen Road, Barnehurst in 60's/early 70's. Used to go regularly with my cousins then who lived in Hillingdon Road. Two pools separated by a iron fence, one pool was a paddling pool for under fives.

Used to go to the Danson one as well. Good memories
  • Options
    Danson regular here. Visited both Eltham and Charlton.

Surely they can make a comeback no? or is there some pathetic H&S, public hygiene, planning regulatory, anti fun police reason. Would be doing a bomb as well in this weather.
  • Options
    Charlton Lido was the place to go to pick up the ladies when you were in your mid teens.........had some great weekends there. Once you knew you could get served in a pub it was over the road to the Fox Under the Hill.
  • Options

Surely they can make a comeback no? or is there some pathetic H&S, public hygiene, planning regulatory, anti fun police reason. Would be doing a bomb as well in this weather.

The problem for outdoor pools in the UK is that you will only get decent usage for three months of the year, June-August, leaving the place massively under-used for the rest of the year.

We have an outdoor pool here in our part of Brisbane and the manager (its subbed out by the council to a private operator) said that even with eight months decent usage (September-April) that it can be a real struggle to keep going as maintenance/operational costs are quite high.

In an era of financial belt tightening a public outdoor pool is an expensive thing to justify in the UK.
  • Options
    It's open till 8pm during this current hotspell.

Danson was the best but used Martens Grove after that shut.
  • Options

The problem for outdoor pools in the UK is that you will only get decent usage for three months of the year, June-August, leaving the place massively under-used for the rest of the year.

We have an outdoor pool here in our part of Brisbane and the manager (its subbed out by the council to a private operator) said that even with eight months decent usage (September-April) that it can be a real struggle to keep going as maintenance/operational costs are quite high.

In an era of financial belt tightening a public outdoor pool is an expensive thing to justify in the UK.
    True. Didn't they used to board over the Charlton Lido and use it for something else during the winter.........roller skating or similar?