Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Visit To Pompey

Hi all,

We hope as many Charlton fans will make the trip down to the South coast for the pre-season friendly against Pompey on July 20th. As you will know tickets are 'pay what you want' with the minimum price £1 by cash. If you pay by card it will be minimum of £1, then multiples of 5 ie: £5, £10 etc. From Pompey's point of view this game is a celebration of still having a club and it would be great to have a big away following to enjoy the day. It goes without saying you woud all be very welcome.

On a personal note I was there for the first game back at The Valley when Colin Walsh's goal sealed a perfect day for you against Pompey in 1992. So I know a lot of Charlton fans will appreciate the struggles we have had and the enormity of the battle which was won. You have been there and won the battl which almost makes Pompey v Charlton the perfect beginning with which to celebrate survival.

I have a lot of fond memories of Charlton before and after that. I have got to know some good former players that performed for both of us including Paul Went, Terry Brisley, Ray Crawford and Paul Walsh. And my personal favourite Hermann Hreidarsson, who I was speaking to only the other day.

Anyway I digress. We would love to see as many Charlton fans at Fratton Park on the day, and are exceedingly grateful to have the chance to still be here to invite you.

Regards

Comments

• Options
    There'll be a fair few of us I'm sure, got a Tottenham mate coming too.

My very first match was also against Portsmouth at Upton Park, I have a lot of fond memories of playing against yous.
  • Options
    Nice one.
    If you look at the auction at the top of the page, there is a picture from that first game back at the Valley on sale. Not that you would be interested in bidding.

What is Hermann up to?
  • Options
    Don't expect anyone to be handing over 60 quid
  • Options
    Hermann is back in Iceland managing IBV with David James as his assistant. Great guy.
  • Options
    I might nip down from Portchester if I find a pound at the back of the sofa. :-)
  • Options
    Oh and are the tickets on sale yet? I haven't heard anything to say they are.
  • Options
    Curb_It said:

Nice one.
    If you look at the auction at the top of the page, there is a picture from that first game back at the Valley on sale. Not that you would be interested in bidding.

What is Hermann up to?

Might be worth a bid PortsmouthFC. If you were there you are in that picture.

• Options
    I think Charlton have left us to deal with the tickets. So it will be pay on the day for visiting supporter at a booth close to where you go in. Will post exact details when I have them.
  • Options
    Looking forward to this, few of us down for the evening
  • Options
    Blowing this one out due to bournemouth. Can't justify both.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    What are you doing in Portchester bc_addick?
  • Options
    Can't wait for this one. A few beers in Southsea then watching a game of football in the sun (hopefully).

I'm sure all of us will be paying at least a tenner so more for Pompey's coffers.
  • Options
    bc_addick said:

I might nip down from Portchester if I find a pound at the back of the sofa. :-)

Port Solent here, think i'll do the same.
  • Options
    I go to university in Portsmouth, so I'll definitely be there supporting my other local team!
  • Options
    Live on the Isle of Wight so will be making the trip over with a few of my Pompey mates and yes a few beers in Southsea on route.
  • Options
    I'll be there, few beers I'm sure
  • Options
    I've had my jabs so am able to travel all the way from Southampton.
  • Options

Blowing this one out due to bournemouth. Can't justify both.

I can help you out by buying your ticket for you. ;-)

Looking forward to it, hopefully we'll play pompey at home on 5th December 2017.
  • Options
    Welcome Portsmouth. Good to see a supporters trust making such a positive effort, well done to all involved. Matches between Charlton and Portsmouth go on for ever, we have played each other zillions of times, in some memorable games.
    The game you attended when we returned to the Valley was as much as a spiritual experience for us Addicks as it was a game of football, we were in a different psychological universe on that day.
    Have you got any memories from your 'detatched' perspective of that return to the Valley match?
  • Options
    Looking forward to it. A mate from work of thirty five years standing is a Pompey season ticket holder, so meeting up with him. I remember him going to Northampton for a 4th division promotion game back in the late seventies. So they've been there before. Like Charlton, supporting Pompey is a roller coaster ride. They have lost their Premier League hangers-on, as we did, but have a loyal hard-core of support. Good luck to them.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Getting the 9am train down there. Few beers from the pubs around the Harbour, looking at popping over to the IOW too, but ferries are a bit much.
  • Options
    Tutt-Tutt said:

Looking forward to it. A mate from work of thirty five years standing is a Pompey season ticket holder, so meeting up with him. I remember him going to Northampton for a 4th division promotion game back in the late seventies. So they've been there before. Like Charlton, supporting Pompey is a roller coaster ride. They have lost their Premier League hangers-on, as we did, but have a loyal hard-core of support. Good luck to them.

I think the 4th division is the only one that Pompey haven't won!
  • Options

Getting the 9am train down there. Few beers from the pubs around the Harbour, looking at popping over to the IOW too, but ferries are a bit much.

looking forward to it mate
  • Options
    Hi Portsmouth , been to your gaff loads of times , but never to eat , can you recommend any nice pubs that serve good food , around the Portsmouth area?
  • Options
    Mike said:

looking forward to it mate
    One of the pubs we're going to has Darts too, I'll have to give you that game then.
  • Options
    We are going for a long weekend as I have never been to Portsmouth. Planning to see Mary Rose Museum and a Shakespeare play beside the Victory on Friday night. Looking forward to it.
  • Options
    Thanks for all your contributions and look forward to seeing you there.

To answer the above questions:

Seth Plum-My perspective of that first game back at the Valley was that there was only going to be one winner. It would have probably been wrong for Pompey to gatecrash it on the pitch. I was actually taken into one of the Portakabin hospitality rooms that day and quite rightly it was your day with the Charlton fans just ecstatic about being back there. I was obviously disappointed in defeat and that seson we lost out on promotion to the Premier League on goal difference to West Ham. But I could emphasise with the joy.The first time I went to the Valley had been in 1976 for an FA Cup 4th round when Norman Piper scored a late equalizer. I marvelled at the steep terrace on one side. Incidentally you thrashed us 3-0 in the replay before 31,722 with Hales and Flannagan in their pomp. But Charlton to me are and always will be a proper football club.

Mendonca in Asda-The Shepherds Crook does simple food like Burgers etc. It's on Goldsmith Avenue and you can see the floodlights from here. It's a few hundred yards walk to away entrance.
    Further afield is Drifts Bar in Southsea and Gunwharf Quays is a five minute train ride with loads of places.

Hope you all enjoy
  • Options
    D_F_T said:

What are you doing in Portchester bc_addick?

Sorry D_F_T this went under the Radar. I live in Portchester mate
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    I was at the 76 cup game, biggest away turnout I have ever seen at The Valley
    And, one of the most impressive turnouts I can recall in the Covered End
  • Options

I was at the 76 cup game, biggest away turnout I have ever seen at The Valley
    And, one of the most impressive turnouts I can recall in the Covered End

Pwaper Nawty those two matches