Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

FAO Henry: a bit of a niggle

edited March 2007 in General Charlton
I expect it's probably too late to change it now, I'm not dead impressed with the new form for signing up for the bulletin. Specifically the bit about
"PLEASE NOTE: IF YOU TICK THIS BOX YOU WILL NOT RECEIVE INFORMATION (I.E. TICKETS NEWS) FROM CAFC. NO I DO NOT want to receive info from CAFC or their business partners."
I'd quite like emails from the club about ticket news, and am willing to put up with the odd marketing email from them as a trade off for that, but I don't want to be bombarded with crap from Llanera, Paddy Power, T-mobile, and whoever else their business partners are. It'd also be helpful if there was some way of indicating our preferred way of being contacted. I'm happy for them to have my work phone number in case there's a problem with my season ticket renewal for example, but marketing messages would be better coming via email, if only so my colleagues don't have to sit through the full spiel in order to take a message if I'm in a meeting.

Surely their whizzy new database can cope with differentiating between consent for their own and partner marketing (as lots of other sites do)? It's also considered best practice to have these boxes as opt-in rather than opt-out as it is currently set up. And having a preferred method of contact registered would save annoying a lot of people, and mean they could save a fortune on postage and phone calls too.

Comments

• Options
    I'm with you on this Ali and it is for this very reason that I haven't re-registered (didn't stop me getting a bulletin today tho!).
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: F-Blocker[/cite]I'm with you on this Ali and it is for this very reason that I haven't re-registered (didn't stop me getting a bulletin today tho!).

Snap!
  • Options
    It's a fair point although I can see that the club want to market to as many people as possible and while it can be a slight pain sometimes just think that the bigger the database the more value to our sponsorship deals and so ultimately more money for the club.

If you are unhappy can you contact steve.sutherland@cafc.co.uk
  • Options
    Ta Henry, will do.
  • Options
    Aliwibble, you are exactly right - this is very bad practice. Whilst it is OK to have a 'soft opt-in' if it is only CAFC using the data (ie you've provided your telephone number/ email to us, so unless you opt-out, we will send you messages), it is most definitely NOT OK to do this for third parties - it is actually illegal.

Henry - must disagree here, if you try and lump it all together (even ignoring the legalities above), you are more likely to end up with a smaller database overall.

I have a note on best practice in this area from the Direct Marketing Association which I will send to Steve Sutherland. Shame they didn't check into this more before sending out all the comms. On a more positive point, I was very impressed with the S/T renewal mailing - most of the blue chip clients I work with don't use the printing and personalisation techniques available now to as good effect as this.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Weegie Addick[/cite]Aliwibble, you are exactly right - this is very bad practice. Whilst it is OK to have a 'soft opt-in' if it is only CAFC using the data (ie you've provided your telephone number/ email to us, so unless you opt-out, we will send you messages), it is most definitely NOT OK to do this for third parties - it is actually illegal.

Henry - must disagree here, if you try and lump it all together (even ignoring the legalities above), you are more likely to end up with a smaller database overall.

I have a note on best practice in this area from the Direct Marketing Association which I will send to Steve Sutherland. Shame they didn't check into this more before sending out all the comms. On a more positive point, I was very impressed with the S/T renewal mailing - most of the blue chip clients I work with don't use the printing and personalisation techniques available now to as good effect as this.

I'm not an expert and don't dispute what you say at all. I was just trying to make the point that CAFC is trying to maximise its income. If however it is going too far in doing that then we need to know so please let Steve know so he can either take action or explain why this is not case.

I know sometimes people at the club are portrayed as evil schemers but they are not. Most are fans and I know from experience that they take a lot of time thinking about how any activity will play with fans and whether it is right and proper. See the free season ticket, reduced prices, free or cheap travel, etc, etc.
  • Options
    Henry, I know on the whole people at the Club are fans. But whether you're a football club or an evil-scheming bank, you still have to comply with the Data Protection Act!

Or maybe I'm still bitter for failing to get the Comemrcial Director's job many years ago at CAFC!! (Made it to second interview, but didn't agree with Reg that 'fans' are 'customers'...)
  • Options
    i subscribed to the bulletin through my hotmail account for years, not that i read it as most of the news is on this board anyway, but yesterday got one in my work account!
    dunno how that happened.....
  • Options
    i got some wierd email from some bloke called matt wright or something, is that the bulliten thing then! i have never subscribed to this thing ever! i didnt even no what it was untill a few weeks ago when i asked someone on here! Why have i got it now!
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    [cite]Posted By: MCS[/cite]i got some wierd email from some bloke called matt wright or something, is that the bulliten thing then! i have never subscribed to this thing ever! i didnt even no what it was untill a few weeks ago when i asked someone on here! Why have i got it now!
    This is probably down to the merging of the databases and they're now sending it to every email address they've got. Would also explain why I got one yesterday without re-regstering.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cheers Simon, how you doin anyway?
  • Options
    Good thanks matey. You?

I'm gonna approach all the printers on here, but would your firm be up for a little "charidee" donation re. the printing of the programme for the CL Demelza match? Obviously full credit would be given...
  • Options
    I will ask dood. BTW i am sweet dood, thanks