Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Most recent player to over-perform regularly for England

I am trying to think of a player that may have performed well for his club but excelled for England. I'm struggling - Stuart Pearce is about the best I can do. Maybe, Teddy Sheringham but anyone recently?

Comments

• Options
    Rachel Yankey
  • Options
    You might be better off thinking about it the other way round mate. Much easier.
  • Options
    Darius Vassell
  • Options
    David Beckham post Greece freekick
  • Options
    Dont think ive seen Ashley Cole have a bad game for England but ive seen him chuck a couple of stinkers for Chelsea
  • Options
    Steve Stone
  • Options
    Franny Jeffers. 100% goals to games ratio for England. And he only cost us £2.5million
  • Options
    Peter Crouch?
  • Options
    Good shout!
  • Options
    Better than a goal every other game, although you could argue that the oppostition wasn't of the highest standard. Still a great record.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Lampard .. though he regularly 'over performs' for both Chelsea & England
  • Options

Better than a goal every other game, although you could argue that the oppostition wasn't of the highest standard. Still a great record.

It's a record that looks good on paper but, to the best of my knowledge, he scored every single one of those goals against opposition ranked lower than England. In other words, he couldn't score against anyone decent! Looks good on paper though and I would probably still have played him against the 'minnows' which still manage to get into the World and European Championships, especially in qualifying.

• Options
    Heskey
  • Options

Darius Vassell

beaten to it
  • Options
    Rizzo said:

It's a record that looks good on paper but, to the best of my knowledge, he scored every single one of those goals against opposition ranked lower than England. In other words, he couldn't score against anyone decent! Looks good on paper though and I would probably still have played him against the 'minnows' which still manage to get into the World and European Championships, especially in qualifying.

be interesting to know who he played against that was above us in the rankings.

Whenever we play anyone decent we shit ourselves and went 1 up top...which was usually Rooney.
  • Options
    Crouch might be a good one? Always managed to stick one in during his robot phase.
  • Options

Crouch might be a good one? Always managed to stick one in during his robot phase.

Good shout! Wish I'd thought of that...

• Options
    Rizzo said:

Good shout! Wish I'd thought of that...

Ahh! Didn't realise, well played.
  • Options
    Jeffers - one game, one goal.
  • Options
    What about Crouch?

Surprised he ain't got a mention already.....

; )
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    David Nugent, 1 sub appearance, 1 goal, who has been pretty anonymous since. He hasn't dramatically fallen fron grace like Jeffers, but rather has just been fairly average.
  • Options
    Rizzo said:

I heard that myth about Crouch only being able to score against weak opposition a long time ago and I looked into it to find this excellent (and incredibly in-depth) article about it

http://www.ongoalsscored.com/2011/08/07/the-peter-crouch-myth/

It's worth a read and it does show that it's not really a fair accusation to level at Crouch
  • Options
    Pele only scored against teams ranked lower than Brazil.
  • Options

Darius Vassell

this is probably the best shout

• Options
    Addickted said:

Pele only scored against teams ranked lower than Brazil.

Messi's rubbish, he's only ever played well against teams worse than Barcelona.
  • Options
    Owen Hargreaves
  • Options
    Hart this year seems to play much better for England than he does for Man City
  • Options
    Danny welbeck
  • Options

Darius Vassell

this is probably the best shout

First player who sprung to my mind too...
  • Options

Rizzo said:

I heard that myth about Crouch only being able to score against weak opposition a long time ago and I looked into it to find this excellent (and incredibly in-depth) article about it

http://www.ongoalsscored.com/2011/08/07/the-peter-crouch-myth/

It's worth a read and it does show that it's not really a fair accusation to level at Crouch
    Thanks for the link. Very interesting read. Judging by goals per minutes played, Crouch averaged almost a goal every game. He scored important goals against a range of opposition and, as stated in the article, if England would have scored against supposedly weak oppostion oppostion (Macedonia) they would have qualified for Euro 2008 and if a goal was managed againt Algeria, we would have faced Ghana instead of Germany in the World Cup, not that you can go through tournaments hoping to avoid the big-guns!