Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

You are the umpire

Comments

• Options
    1. Dead Ball, bowl again
    2. not out
    3. the run wins the game

no idea if that's right
  • Options
    I think Croydon is on the same wavelength as me as thats exactly what I would have said.

Dont think 1 can be anything other than a dead ball tbh. Juggling doesnt count as control, so not out. If the lbw is reversed, the run would be counted and would win the game. Thats my take on it.
  • Options
    1) Batting side win. Non negotiable that one.
    2) Not Out!
    3) Batting team win. You have to act in real time surely? That's why I say no Video Technology in sport, any sport.

I am umpiring on Sunday at the Rectory Field in a top quality veteran Kent League match. I hope I don't get any of those scenarios!
  • Options
    Oh hold on, think I've misread 1. If the bowler bowls again after slipping, then Riviera is right. Whether the bowler was distracted or not doesnt come in to it. I had initially assumed the ball was bowled as he slipped.
  • Options
    1. batting side wins
    2. Not out
    3. Batting side wins
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    1) depends on the exact timing of the slip. If the batsman falls over before the bowler can no longer pull out, then I'd be tempted to award a dead ball.

And regarding 2), if the impudent fielder was able to juggle in this manner and then with his/her final juggle loop the ball gently to the standing umpire, I'd give it out. Obviously if it falls to the floor then s/he's a berk and it's not out

With 3), there'd be a controversy, because a Dead Ball is almost certain to be given, which would negate the run. But in those circumstances it would seem criminal not to attempt a run-out with a DRS review practically certain for any LBW decision. The fielding team doesn't have an argument, but I think it has to be a Dead Ball according to the Laws of the Game, and so the run would not be scored regardless. I think in such circumstances I would seek an amendment to the Laws, that the ball is voided and rebowled, much as a let in tennis.
  • Options
    1. The batting team score five runs - four for the boundary and one for the wide. The ball is live when the bowler starts his run-up and unless the umpire thinks that the bowler/batsman has been unfairly distracted play continues.
    2. Not out, the fielder must be in complete control of the ball. This is the Hershelle Gibbs/Steve Waugh scenario when the former wasn't in control of the ball and then dropped it when attempting to throw it in the air in celebration.
    3. Dead ball and not out. At the fall of a wicket the ball automatically becomes dead and nothing else can happen in terms of scoring runs/run-outs etc. The batsman however can appeal the LBW, as it is overturned he can resume his innings.
  • Options
    You call a halt to the game and retire to the pavillion for a large glass of orange cordial.
  • Options
    Croydon said:

1. Dead Ball, bowl again
    2. not out
    3. the run wins the game

no idea if that's right

This, although Leuth has a point regarding number 1, although I would say the reverse. If the bowler had completed his action before the batsman slipped, the ball would have gone wide in any case. If the slip occurred BEFORE the ball was bowled, bowler distraction could be a possibility. BUT, all in all ? ... Dead Ball
    &&& Paul Trevillion .. he has been coming up with these terrific drawings/illustrations for years .. he's still very good
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    1. Batting side wins, 5 runs.
    2. Dropped catch.
    3. Draw
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Riviera said:

1) Batting side win. Non negotiable that one.
    2) Not Out!
    3) Batting team win. You have to act in real time surely? That's why I say no Video Technology in sport, any sport.

I am umpiring on Sunday at the Rectory Field in a top quality veteran Kent League match. I hope I don't get any of those scenarios!

i am with you riv

• Options
    1. Batting side win.
    2. Not out
    3. Surely dead ball, as the umpire gave him out before completion of the single. Therefore no fielding side would bother about a run out.
  • Options
    1. The distraction was not wilfull, so the ball stands; five runs scored (5 wides). batters win.
    2. Not out.
    3. Very difficult this...ball is dead on wicket falling, but on referal a wicket did not fall. I would suggest a draw/tie but would be interested to know the point of view as written in the laws? For instance, is the ball live for ten seconds (the amountof time you have to refer) in televised games?
  • Options
    soooo ... what are the answers?
  • Options
    I would say 2 is out, it says "The Juggle was under control, and could have caught it at any time"

If you Umpire thinks the ball was in control he should give out.

I haven't a clue on the others mind
  • Options
    My guess

1) not out
    2) if umpire thinks bowler has control out, if not not out.
    3) run stands
  • Options
    John Holder's verdict

1) As soon as the non-striker falls, the bowler's end umpire, who is best placed to see what happened, should call and signal dead ball so that there can be no further development. This is purely accidental and the fielding captain has no authority over what happens next. That is for the umpires solely to decide on. Because dead ball was called, the delivery was nullified and there is still one ball to be bowled. Thanks to Ben Ralph.
    2) You state that the juggle was completely under control which complies with the law. Not only could the fielder have finally caught the ball, he was also in control of his further movement. After deliberately knocking the ball up several times, he eventually allowed it to fall to the ground. The striker is out caught on appeal. According to the law, if in the umpire's opinion the fielder had control of the ball and of his further movement, the catch is legal. Thanks to John Rolfe.
    3) Under DRS the batsmen have a right to refer the decision to the third umpire, who will advise the on-field umpire to change his decision if the review showed that it was incorrect. Because there was an appeal does not mean that the ball is dead, so the fielding side should have played safe and run the batsman out. The run stands. Where there is no DRS, the on-field umpire's decision is final.
  • Options
    John Holder's Verdict:

1) As soon as the non-striker falls, the bowler's end umpire, who is best placed to see what happened, should call and signal dead ball so that there can be no further development. This is purely accidental and the fielding captain has no authority over what happens next. That is for the umpires solely to decide on. Because dead ball was called, the delivery was nullified and there is still one ball to be bowled. Thanks to Ben Ralph.
    2) You state that the juggle was completely under control which complies with the law. Not only could the fielder have finally caught the ball, he was also in control of his further movement. After deliberately knocking the ball up several times, he eventually allowed it to fall to the ground. The striker is out caught on appeal. According to the law, if in the umpire's opinion the fielder had control of the ball and of his further movement, the catch is legal. Thanks to John Rolfe.
    3) Under DRS the batsmen have a right to refer the decision to the third umpire, who will advise the on-field umpire to change his decision if the review showed that it was incorrect. Because there was an appeal does not mean that the ball is dead, so the fielding side should have played safe and run the batsman out. The run stands. Where there is no DRS, the on-field umpire's decision is final. David Bleese wins the book.
  • Options
    Thanks chaps .. I' m not totally convinced by number 2 .. but there MUST be a few unsolveables left in this well analysed universe
  • Options
    Do another one!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dead ball, not out, run stands and game is won.
  • Options
    Number 2 couldn't happen as the umpire would have to decide the ball was under the fielder's control, but surely he would have held it and not let it drop to the floor if it was. So whilst an umpire could give the batsmen out - none would in that situation.
  • Options
    what would happen in the following situation.?
    a wicket is taken with the penultimate ball of a match. this leaves the batting side needing 1 to win off the last ball.
    the incoming batsmen will be the non-striker and needs a runner. can the batsmen stand with the square leg umpire with no pads or any protective equipment, meaning the runner can also do so, gaining the advantage of not having to run in pads?
  • Options

a wicket is taken with the penultimate ball of a match. this leaves the batting side needing 1 to win off the last ball.
    the incoming batsmen will be the non-striker and needs a runner. can the batsmen stand with the square leg umpire with no pads or any protective equipment, meaning the runner can also do so, gaining the advantage of not having to run in pads?

The runner will have to wear pads and carry a bat too.
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

The runner will have to wear pads and carry a bat too.
    this they have to be equipped as if they were about to face a ball.
  • Options
    i thought runners had to have a bat and wear whatever protective gear that the person he is running for is wearing.
    though this example would question the 'spirit of the game'.
  • Options
    Runners had to wear exactly the same kit as the batsman including arm guards etc.

But I also thought runners were no longer allowed anyway.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

Runners had to wear exactly the same kit as the batsman including arm guards etc.

only for over 60s games on the village green
  • Options

Only banned in internationals.