Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Who is the fastest player you have seen play for Charlton ?

The discussion about Eddie Firmani got me thinking about favourite players and why. Fast players are obviously eye catching. I remember Mike Kenning was pretty speedy, and in more 'recent' times Martin Pringle & Shaun Newton. Anyone else spring to mind ?

Comments

• Grant Basey

• Rommedahl was pretty swift.
  • edited June 2013
    To be serious Rommedahl and Haynes from recent times and, going back, I always thought my hero Len Glover was pretty quick too.
  • I still daydream about Bent leaving Melchiot for dead after giving him a 5 metre head start.
  • Never seen anyone move as quickly as parker did when he knew chelsea were after him.
  • Not as fast as Defoe when he signed for West Ham !
  • Rommedahl. Shame he used to run at a player, stop, cut inside and pass rather than taking them on.

The only time that I remember him using his pace properly for us was against Villa when Barry got sent off for a professional foul.
  • Has to be Rommedahl . Shaun Newton was no slouch either.
  • Micky Bennett
  • Sponsored links:

• Not sure if Rommedahl counts as I'm only including players who took the ball with them at the same time !
  • edited June 2013
    Big Fat Big Fat Pete Big Fat Peter Garland
    Rommedahl unfortunatley didn't always take the ball with him!! and Haynes
  • I no he wasn't as fast as Rommedhal but Danny mills was no slouch always remember against West ham how he made a mug out of Julian Dicks.
  • Hales was pretty quick over 5-10 yards
  • Yes, Killer was well quick
  • For lightning acceleration and a fifteen-yard sprint, Paul Williams was hard to beat. This was the days when keepers could pick up back-passes, so defenders inevitably used to do a lot of faffing around in their own half. Willo would lurk, seemingly disinterested, then BANG, he'd be off like a whippet to intercept a lazy back-pass. I saw him bag quite a few goals like that during our dark days at Sell-Out Park.
  • edited June 2013
    Rommedahl was absolutely rapid, scared the bajeezus out of defenders until they realised he'd never have the guts to take it past them.

I remember once him and euell were two on one with a defender, Rommedahl had the ball and Euell was slowing down to draw the defender away so Den could beat him and Rommedahl just passed it weakly behind euell and our brilliant momentum he had created with his pace was gone.

Remember curbs saying that he bought him for his attacking qualities but told Dennis he'd have to work on his defensive side. Dennis took that as saying dont do anything attacking ever and was an absolute waste.
  • edited June 2013
    Plaaayer said:

I still daydream about Bent leaving Melchiot for dead after giving him a 5 metre head start.

same here

• Rufus was very quick as was John Humphrey.

As others said, Newton, Haynes, Rommedahl etc, killer over the first six yards or so.

Paul Williams before he got clobbered at Plough Lane was lightning,

I always had a grouse with Melchiot during his Chelsea days for saying we shouldn't be losing to teams like Charlton blah, blah. Seeing him appear to go backwards whilst apparently running forward as Benty turned on the afterburners was highly amusing.
  • JFH
  • Sponsored links:

• Rommedahl in my life time. Showed flashes to frustrate everyone.
  • Paddy Powell was pretty slick on his day, but a great crosser as well.
  • Mike Kenning and Len Glover.
  • Wiggins is quick, but has to be Dennis Rommedahl
  • Good shout about Hales & Paul Williams over the first 5 - 10 yards. They were probabaly our most effective fast players. The others mentioned were more just eye catching.
  • Probabaly ? I'm typing too fast now !
  • FIRMANI9 said:

Good shout about Hales & Paul Williams over the first 5 - 10 yards. They were probabaly our most effective fast players. The others mentioned were more just eye catching.

Darren Bent not effective? :-)

A mention too - and he rarely seems to get much air time on CL - for Martin Robinson. Though half the time he was racing clear onto a through ball that didn't actually clear the defence...

• Phil Chapple
  • FIRMANI9 said:

Good shout about Hales & Paul Williams over the first 5 - 10 yards. They were probabaly our most effective fast players. The others mentioned were more just eye catching.

Darren Bent not effective? :-)

A mention too - and he rarely seems to get much air time on CL - for Martin Robinson. Though half the time he was racing clear onto a through ball that didn't actually clear the defence...

Agree re Martin Robinson (and Bent's effectiveness obviously) a very underrated player the reason perhaps being that he was overshadowed by Flanagan for much of his time as they had similarities.
  • Ok. Darren Bent , Hales, & Paul Williams ! Martin Robinson was a tremendous player and I seem to remember he had at least one good season on number of goals scored.